What the "Stop Online Piracy Act" could mean for us USA folks...?

Puckrox

Reaction score
For those of you who don't know about the Stop Online Piracy Act (I only just heard about it not too long ago), it is an act Congress is going to be voting on that "would empower the attorney general to create a blacklist of sites to be blocked by Internet service providers, search engines, payment providers and advertising networks, all without a court hearing or a trial. [SOPA] goes further, allowing private companies to sue service providers for even briefly and unknowingly hosting content that infringes on copyright." (source here)

Now, for the most part, I keep far away from politics, but I don't see how anyone could avoid this one because it sort of effects people's day-to-day lives. Not only that, but this will effect people's professions as well (journalist's wont be able to get to articles that are censored, and all out innovation would falter).

Main sites looking to be censored if this bill is passed are: facebook, tumblr, youtube, twitter, ebay, and even google. And this site. Because we often post footage (such as last night's DWTS clip) and images (of Muppets, of course) that do not belong to us, congress would have every right to blacklist this site and make it unavailable to the American users.

So, yeah, I figured one of us should get the word out about this. I know there are petitions floating around the Internet, and I've already signed a few. We just better hope this thing doesn't make it... :embarrassed:

beaker

Reaction score
I think this is a perfect example of why more young people need to become aware of politics and what's going on. This also goes to show how there's really no difference anymore between Democrat and Republican politicians, none of them our on any of our sides or working for the people.There's been a war on the internet, freedom of speech, etc for awhile...all under the false auspices of "stopping piracy". What they really want to do is go the route of China and censor the media, especially alternative media and prevent certain information and stories from getting out. If they had their way, not only would whistleblowers and sites exposing America's war crimes be put away, but anyone viewing such information would get put away.

I am so very grateful for the advent of youtube. For people who grew up in the 80s and 90s. its an amazing way of showing other people cartoons, commercials and shows that inspired you as a kid. Its a great way to show documentaries and information thats important. Even famous speeches. A teaching tool to show what the civil rights struggle, or world conditions are like. And for what my friends and I use it a lot for: discovering amazing new and old bands, and for cheering someone's day up with a funny link. All that sadly is definitely at stake

Drtooth

Reaction score
Nah, I'd say they're both the same in the respect that they're taking the payola from these entertainment conglomerates who don't realize A) that there will ALWAYS be a small, imperceptible part of the population that will always steal, sneak into, borrow from their friends movies and TV shows so they don't have to pay for them B) the reason no one's going to the movies anymore is because they keep artificially raising the prices when they don't have to C) it's not youtube or Pirate Bay taking viewers... it's Facebook and Farmville and D) Maybe if they made better movies they'd get more people in.

Youtube was indeed a boon. We've seen long lost Henson gems like Little Muppet Monsters and Rare Sesame Street skits and international commercials we'd never see otherwise. I also found lost TV shows that no one would ever profit off of for releasing or lose money for not releasing. Stuff on cable I wouldn't be able to see any other way. SURE, if a DVD of something comes out I try to get it... I always will. But if it's an incomplete series with 5 episodes only, I kinda wanna watch the REST of the series, thank you very much.

The way to circumvent piracy (you can't defeat it) is to be one step ahead. I remember how Anime distributors were chomping at the bit over torrent sites. Now they offer free online streaming on legal sites. I'm sure it took traffic away from bit torrents... and if it didn't, who cares? Those guys wouldn't pay for it anyway, so they don't count as an audience.

Now, I agree with killing the downloaded movies sites. But why is no one doing anything about bootlegged merchandise and bootlegged DVD's of movies in theaters?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The way to circumvent piracy (you can't defeat it) is to be one step ahead. I remember how Anime distributors were chomping at the bit over torrent sites. Now they offer free online streaming on legal sites.
Exactly, I think more companies are slowly starting to realize this. Like when the VCR came out, the studios learned how to work with the new technology rather than defeat it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly, I think more companies are slowly starting to realize this. Like when the VCR came out, the studios learned how to work with the new technology rather than defeat it.
Exactly. Movies are one thing, but they have made strides (well, the GOOD studios have made strides) when it comes to TV on the internet. Even though half the players are still choppy. Somehow if this was going to take effect in 5-10 years, when everything's online anyway, I wouldn't see too much a problem.

But then again, CN refuses to put full streaming episodes of stuff online anymore (haven't for 5 weeks now... desperately behind in Regular Show and Mad... found some RS's on Youtube in meh quality), Warner Bros swears it was going to do a massive cartoon super site that had everything past and present and all we got out of it was the lousy In2TV that they didn't update aside for taking shows down.

More companies NEED to sponsor their own "illegally" uploaded materials, run ads around it if it's long enough. I know Classic Media does. A couple others do too. These places don't realize how old cartoons and TV shows they can no longer find profitable enough to bother with mean to us... they don't realize that fan videos, both respectful and satirical bring interest back into long abandoned properties that aren't reality shows, judge shows, or all the other garbage they fling at us that make us NOT want to watch TV anymore.

There IS compromise. Sure, block pirate's bay and Bit Torrent sites... but leave Youtube up. They do a VERY good job policing themselves there. I don't think the site would be blocked at all, but rather the policies will get stricter.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But then again, CN refuses to put full streaming episodes of stuff online anymore (haven't for 5 weeks now... desperately behind in Regular Show and Mad... found some RS's on Youtube in meh quality), Warner Bros swears it was going to do a massive cartoon super site that had everything past and present and all we got out of it was the lousy In2TV that they didn't update aside for taking shows down.
Obviously every situation is different, but I think the recent Netflix debacle has demonstrated that companies can and will listen when consumers make their voices heard (i.e. We won't use you anymore unless you give us what we politely demand. :wink:).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The problem I see is that its impossible to block websites. People will find ways to crack the system.

I'm baffled by how much companies want to stop piracy, yet refuse to release these ancient programs that people are pirating. If you arent going to release something anyway, you are not losing money.

Not to mention I'd be really annoyed if I can't go to coolrom anymore

Drtooth

Reaction score
Obviously every situation is different, but I think the recent Netflix debacle has demonstrated that companies can and will listen when consumers make their voices heard (i.e. We won't use you anymore unless you give us what we politely demand. :wink:).
Well, I'm guessing in CN's situation, there's some sweetheart deal with the cable/internet companies and you can only get free episodes if you have a cable AND internet contract. had I a cable contract, why would I bother watching this stuff online (unless it's opposite something). That's why I sort of like Hulu. You see a lot of great anime, older cartoons, reruns of some newer stuff in case you miss it... more companies NEED to go to hulu. Just think if Disney signed a deal to show old cartoons on there... Darkwing Duck, Ducktales... I heard the Darkwing DVD sales randomly jumped when the Darkwing comics came out. Who knows how popular watching it legally so they can get an actual response would be.

Ok so I just read the bill was not passed.
Wow! An actual silver lining in the fact our government is completely and utterly useless and stuck on partisan bickering. Now we have the internet as the internet for another whole year.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The hearing was yesterday and I don't think they decided anything for sure yet.