What the "Stop Online Piracy Act" could mean for us USA folks...?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder how many major production companies had supported the bill and how many haven't. I know that the various online critics at thatguywiththeglasses.com and screwattack.com have been against it (in fact, it was recently announced that the screw attack people canceled plans to attend a major video game convention because it's sponsored by a company that supports the bill, can't remember what company).

It's interesting, James Rolfe has posted his thoughts a number of times on the bill, saying it could put an end to The Angry Video Game Nerd (I wonder if the movie would have been canceled if the bill passed), but there's been three or four DVD volumes of The Angry Video Game Nerd, and from what I've read the only things that have been cut from the episodes have been the occasional film clip (so his review of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III is limited to just a clip, and his review of The Wizard and Super Mario Bros. 3 was edited to just focus on SMB 3). I also know that one of The Best of That Guy with the Glasses included an exclusive review of The Blues Brothers video game by The Nostalgia Critic. So if the bills were to pass, how would including video game footage in reviews online free of charge be any different from putting the clips in reviews on DVD for sale? Also, I know that although viewers don't have to pay to watch them, these critics do get money every time the videos are viewed.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder how many major production companies had supported the bill and how many haven't. I know that the various online critics at thatguywiththeglasses.com and screwattack.com have been against it (in fact, it was recently announced that the screw attack people canceled plans to attend a major video game convention because it's sponsored by a company that supports the bill, can't remember what company).
The major corporations will continue to support the bill and seek out alternative legislation if this never moves forward. I doubt that they care about the internet fans enough to do anything different.

Still, Angry Video game Nerd/Nostalgia Critic/screwattack... those are the kinds of people legislation should protect. Fair use clips of a certain length actually get people to check these things out for themselves. While some of it still is pirated, most of them will turn to Netflix or other legal means to check these things out. Who wants to just take their word about how stupid a movie/cartoon show was?

A lot of this stuff is quite the opposite. It's free advertising. I'd bet the Mama Luigi meme got more people to pick up the Super Mario World DVD sets.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I worry not.

It never gets passed, and I doubt it ever actually will.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even if it were back, the ONE good thing about having a crappy Congress that can't push anything through, it's that they couldn't pass this through no matter how many lobbyists from the entertainment industry throw money at it (the real reason they're losing money, BTW).

SOPA is going to keep almost coming back somehow. If it actually passed, the ONLY good thing about is that we don't have to keep looking over our shoulders every 10 seconds, worrying about it. It's stupid, heavy handed, and poorly devised legislation that will protect everyone from losing the money they're not actually losing. They said the same thing about VCRs at some point.

Seriously... SOPA is the ultimate Internet Troll. The fact that it exists is more troubling than anything, and we're going to be stuck in "Boy who cried Wolf" mode everytime something pops up.

Yeah, even notice when something like this comes up that means doom and destruction for everybody, it's all the doing of the Obama Administration? :rolleyes:
Don't get me started on that. There's a difference between not liking a politician and being a tin foil hat crazy. The internet is far too full of the latter.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Admittedly, I must confess, I often wonder if anybody has ever gotten in actual trouble for such "copyright infringement"... like how at the beginning of VHSs and DVDs, there's always that FBI Warning disclaimer saying that the contents are for private home entertainment purposes only, and any copying, duplication, public sharing, (and now in the internet day and age, alterations, reversing), etc. is punishable with a $250,000 fine and/or five years in prison... has ANYONE EVER paid $250,000 or spent any time in prison for doing any of those things?