What the "Stop Online Piracy Act" could mean for us USA folks...?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't think the bill is gone permanently yet, the hearing was yesterday and I don't think anything was decided.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm seeing a couple of sites saying that the story about the bill being defeated was indeed a hoax.

If you guys go to the House Judiciary Committee site there is a webcast of the hearing from yesterday (see below). Nothing has been decided either way. (Not yelling at you Sgt. Floyd or anything, just wanted to emphasize. :wink: ).

http://www.judiciary.house.gov/hearings/hear_11162011.html

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't expect to hear the last of it, but it could get stalled for quite some time. That's why I said "a year."

Still, copyright is screwed up. Ideally, copyright is supposed to prevent me from copying someone else's idea beyond a shadow of a doubt for non-satirical reasons and make money off of it, thus taking money away from the rightful owners. So if I wanted to make a movie that's exactly the same as, say Ratatouille, and release it at the same time so I can make money off of someone else's idea, I'd get legal action to stop.

Sadly, in reality, we get this with NO lawsuits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2c1ptxw3uU

and childcare centers that paint Ratatouille on their walls get slapped with lawsuits. That's why this corporate sponsored bill makes me paranoid.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't expect to hear the last of it, but it could get stalled for quite some time. That's why I said "a year."
Yeah see from what I understand, bills are rarely outright "defeated." They're either passed or just quietly die in committee. That's one reason why that first story seemed odd. Plus it's such a new bill, it would be unusual for it to be decided on so quickly.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Have they not been trying to do this for a while though?

Puckrox

Reaction score
And it only really became known to the general public during the course of this week... I believe? I hadn't heard anything about it before, and articles I read said that it only opened up publicly in the last couple days.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do wonder what possessed someone to write an "article" saying the bill was defeated. That's the annoying thing about the Internet sometimes, hehe.