What the "Stop Online Piracy Act" could mean for us USA folks...?

beaker

Reaction score
A month ago Obama sent a few missiles at a youtube vlogger he didnt like in Yemen. And I remember all the stuff about the "internet kill switch". Tho this time it seems like major entertainment companies are behind this one.

But what is piracy? How come so many popular shirt companies can get away with having unauthorized Mario, Zelda, Star Wars, etc shirts just because they claim "satire"? How come as Dr Tooth highlighted, companies can make direct ripoffs of other work?

You look at acts like Girl Talk and Danger Mouse, who headline festivals and have zillions of fans...when all their songs are literally mashups of other people's songs.

I also never saw why downloading tv shows was considered piracy. I mean, Big Bang Theory is on free tv, but for people like me who refuse to ever watch television I prefer the HD commercial free rips on piratebay.

Will this pass eventually or quietly go away? Will an even crazier draconian PATRIOT act for media bill come through? Who knows...
But hey, the government just declared pizza a vegetable, so I guess anything is possible with these jokers.

Puckrox

Reaction score
But hey, the government just declared pizza a vegetable, so I guess anything is possible with these jokers.
Wait... this actually happened? I saw it online, but I figured it was just The Onion yanking our chains, as usual... what he heck is wrong with this country?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I also never saw why downloading tv shows was considered piracy.
Because the company that owns the show doesn't make a profit from you downloading it. Show business is a business; it's to make money. :wink:

Will this pass eventually or quietly go away?
It's hard to tell. I heard Pelosi and a couple others don't like it; they want a bill that's more balanced. Just have to see.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what's complete and utter bull on this? I see less and less people legally offering stuff online and more and more only letting you watch stuff IF you have specific cable service providers. Fox probably settled that crap with Dish if they freaking hold the Simpsons hostage for a week. Sweetheart deals. Screw that! They're pretty much CAUSING piracy at this point. So it isn't just CN at this point. Really. No wonder they have to spend a fortune buying up lobbyists to step all over Youtube poop and fan videos. They're freaking greedy idiots.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I never understood the appeal of school pizza. But then again, I don't like pizza period. Except Pizza Hut's thick crust pizza.

beaker

Reaction score
You know what's complete and utter bull on this? I see less and less people legally offering stuff online and more and more only letting you watch stuff IF you have specific cable service providers. Fox probably settled that crap with Dish if they freaking hold the Simpsons hostage for a week. Sweetheart deals. Screw that! They're pretty much CAUSING piracy at this point. So it isn't just CN at this point. Really. No wonder they have to spend a fortune buying up lobbyists to step all over Youtube poop and fan videos. They're freaking greedy idiots.
Well it's like I usually try to buy dvds of movies I enjoyed...but whats the point anymore? New dvds still cost $20, and now have ZERO extras. Meanwhile I can download a beautiful blu ray rip that will play on my dvd, and i can load it with tons of hd behind the scenes featurettes, deleted scenes and interviews from youtube on dvdr. Its like when anime companies waited a long time to release anime series on dvd, but then only put 2-3 per dvd and charged $25-$30...total scam. Some only have 1 episode for the same price. I'll admit, downloading is what collapsed the anime market...Best Buy used to have two long rows of anime, now Best Buy barely even carries any dvds overall.

My blockbuster is one of the few still open, so desperate are they that even new movies are part of "49 cent friday"...its the same question I pose to Circuit City and Suncoast when they were having going out of business sales: why didnt you offer competitive prices when you were STILL around instead of when youre about to go belly up?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Meanwhile I can download a beautiful blu ray rip that will play on my dvd, and i can load it with tons of hd behind the scenes featurettes, deleted scenes and interviews from youtube on dvdr.
That's why the future really needs to be online, where people are able to have more control over what they want to see. If the companies can find a way to make that work for the customer and for them that would be ideal.

I'll admit, downloading is what collapsed the anime market.
Yeah that can't really be argued with.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
That's why the future really needs to be online, where people are able to have more control over what they want to see. If the companies can find a way to make that work for the customer and for them that would be ideal.
I wrote a paper why thats a horrible idea. not to mention I'm still on dial up as well as many many other people. Internet will have to be a lot cheaper for that to work