What was Disney thinking?

radionate

Reaction score
I'm confused on your anti Disney stance

Originally posted by beaker
Btw, wanna know what I think of Disney?
Check out this astonishing Disney painting...it's G rated, but very ornate, and put's it all into perspective

http://www.gottfried-helnwein.com/werke/leinwand/bild_48.html

(Im sure Disney doesnt like this painting!)
I'm a little confused Cory. Are you trying to convey the message that this picture is anti Disney? I see nothing of the sort.

I see a painting that captures ideas on many levels.

A child during World War II wishing for a simple Donald Duck toy to distract him from the daily trials and tribulations of war.

A hope of a young man to have the ultimate American Dream of Success.

Perhapes even keeping poor Donald in his prayers, so that he might not always come out on the short end of the stick.

The list can go on. Why would Disney not be proud of artwork inspiring or representing such things???

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Ladyhyde... I meant here, in the US... The litle kids would rather see their Yu-Gi-Oh than Pokemon.. dispite it's fairly similar...
At any rate, the fact is people over here want the "hot new thing" so bad, whatever used to be the hot new thing gathers dust in peoples memories... sorry if I offended you. One of my friends is a Pokefan, but cannopt stand the cartoon show.
Oh man, you should see how kids are with Yu Gi Oh cards, their like freaking crack fiends! Every time I go to my comic shop, their like drug peddlers, and the kids are the addicts that need their fix. Such is why anime gets a bad rep stateside...Pokeomon, YugiOh, etc making it seem like kiddy tripe. Same thing happened with the Muppets post Elmo xmas 96 craze.

Originally posted by Radionate
I'm a little confused Cory. Are you trying to convey the message that this picture is anti Disney? I see nothing of the sort.

The list can go on. Why would Disney not be proud of artwork inspiring or representing such things???

This painting, from renowned controversial painter Godfried Helwein, was part of his 'American Painting' series from 2000. I dare not give a link to the other paintings in this series.
It represents the evangelical archtype figure Disney has become in a classic Americana sense. If you tear away what Disney has become(ie: a world dominating tentacle) and go back to when they were relatively fresh on the scene with boistrous innovations(ie: Fantasia), you'll find in essence they were the crux of the American dream. Anyone who has read about ol Walt knows these success stories dont happen often. However, you have to go back to that time to see a more purer form, an inuagural symbol of astonishment and worship...the pride on the american landscape. That's what that painting represents to me.

Yes, when I deal with Disney in words, it is a hypocritical double edged sword. When I speak about how JHC's only hope is a buyout from the mouse messiah; I say that because Disney has become the pontification of children's entertainment-cum-global corporation. So who better to buy them out?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Oh man, you should see how kids are with Yu Gi Oh cards, their like freaking crack fiends! Every time I go to my comic shop, their like drug peddlers, and the kids are the addicts that need their fix. Such is why anime gets a bad rep stateside...Pokeomon, YugiOh, etc making it seem like kiddy tripe. Same thing happened with the Muppets post Elmo xmas 96 craze.
You do NOT want to get me on an anti-Yugioh rant.. trust me. Let's just say that there is a Japanese cartell that is making a fortune out of this before he makes the next "big thing" which will be a rip off of Yugi... (My conspiracy theaory is that Digimon, Pokemon, and Yugioh were made by the same force...) I mean, with things like "spirited Away, DBZ (in it';s original Japanese, and well.. a bunch more, they have really great, choice stuff... but kids want to steal and go to drug dealer type lengths to get these cards than winding up with NOTHING once public interest wains (It reminds me of an episode of Pelswick... his mortal enemy got this special, rare card, and he had Pelswick slaving to just get a look at it). But I digress...

Know what I hate about Miramax? They're releasing this Italian version of Pinoccio (sp?) but only the dubbed version... I HATE WHEN THEY DUB ROBERTO BENNINI!!!!!! I mean, you lose all his comic enthusiasm.. he just sounds like he was redubbed by Steven Webber or something. Why can't they bloody release it in both English and Italian? Are all kids illiterate?

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Why can't they bloody release it in both English and Italian? Are all kids illiterate?
The simple fact would be little kids are too impatient and to young to read subtitles. Granted, I kept up pretty well with the Jabbaese subtitles in the Return of the Jedi when I Was 5...but for instance...even though Holland is one of the few non English speaking countries that's good about not dubbing American films(dont get me started on the German movie poilicies:frown:
all their kid's stuff thats American is dubbed. So same with here.

Im just glad Crouching Tiger wasnt dubb! Live action foriegn films are a no no to dub(ever seen Le Femme Nikita dubbed? Oh boy)
As for foriegn animated movies, I prefer dub, as th eoriginal voices dont even match the lips.

finally...I think we could go on for days about the horrific
abomination that is pokemon/doreamon/digimon/mon cole knights/monster rancher/medabots/flint/yu gi oh/card captor/yu gi oh/fudon fighters etc. Then again before these hit American shores we had Power Rangers and Barney.

I'm just so grateful when I was little there was Muppet Babies
and Fraggle Rock...not these retarded shows that give anime a bad name >_<

LadyHyde

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think they should've released that "Pinocchio" movie here. I don't think American audiences would WANT to see a 40-year-old man-child act hysterical. (Well, not counting Robin Wiliams) I personally liked the one with JTT.

And man, I loved Sunday's P-mon. There's something about cute lil' Jigglypuff caught in an updraft to make you smile.:cool:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by LadyHyde
Personally, I don't think they should've released that "Pinocchio" movie here. I don't think American audiences would WANT to see a 40-year-old man-child act hysterical. (Well, not counting Robin Wiliams) I personally liked the one with JTT.
word on that. And even though Robin's my fave actor, man did that Jack suck. He should stick to ornate visionary films like toys, one hour photo, bicentennial man, and what dreams may come.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Another "WHAT WAS DIZ THINKIN'?" moment

They've just green lighted Duece Bigalo: Electric Gigallo...

"It's... It's the Sequal.. they made another one!"- Jon Arbuckle...

crazy ernie

Reaction score
I just hope Miramax doesn't screw up the Bionicle movie that is coming to theaters in 2004.Same thing with the direct to video movie next fall. The thing that they have messed up so far is that they gave the toa human hands.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by crazy ernie
I just hope Miramax doesn't screw up the Bionicle movie that is coming to theaters in 2004.Same thing with the direct to video movie next fall. The thing that they have messed up so far is that they gave the toa human hands.
LEGOS be pimp.

LadyHyde

Reaction score
Guess what?

In the newest issue of "Animerica", they agree that Mirimax did a bad job handling P-mon 4, so at least I'm not alone.