1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What went wrong with Muppets from Space?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Daffney, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

I dunno, I thought the movie was ok. The plot sounded like it was good. I mean, Gonzo tries to find where he came from. That being said I think the whole 'He's an alien' concept was kind of flawed when ya think about it. I mean, isn't the whole aura of Gonzo the fact that nobody knows WHAT he is? or WHERE he came from? I think they could've done that movie either without the whole 'alien' aspect, or they could've really told us but it was all a dream or something ya know?

Daniel
  2. shinycelebi225

shinycelebi225 Active Member

same here
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'd hate "it was all a dream" more than Gonzo being an alien. That's usually a cheap cop out to get out of a corner writers get themselves into.

The script was labored and various people had to come in and write passes of it. That doesn't usually sound like a good thing (I'm sure there are cases). But I even feel the strange script could have been pulled off with a good director.

We didn't get one.

We got someone who really didn't know what the Muppets were about and had no theatrical experience before this. Someone who felt mundane tasks would make the characters more realistic, but rather made them dull, put them in dull situations, and he took the BEST parts out of the script... Uncle Matt's cameo and the REAL ending where the alien Gonzoids pulled off their fake masks to reveal they were just fans of Gonzo and they got transmissions of The Muppet Show. That ending would have kept Gonzo's identity ambiguous enough. Someone somewhere felt that was too complex. Overall, the studio and Henson treated it terribly, and it came out like that, so it shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.
  4. shinycelebi225

UNCLE MATT WAS IN IT?!?!?!?! i need a pic...........
  5. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

Only in a draft of the script.
  6. shinycelebi225

7. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Honestly, I would've liked that ending more than them just saying 'Welp, he's an alien, answer your questions?' But that left even more questions like 'Do the Gonzoids have relationships with chickens where they're from?' and 'Are most of em daredevils?' I'm sure those questions were answered, it's been a while since I've seen the movie

Daniel
  8. Speed Tracer

Speed Tracer Well-Known Member

When I watch the movie, which isn't often, I still get choked up when Gonzo and Rizzo say goodbye. If nothing else, the movie is a great love letter to one of the strangest, and therefore most affecting, Muppet friendships. I know The Muppets isn't going to have much Rizzo, but soon, I want to see Gonzo and Rizzo together again. We've been fortunate and lucky to have had some really nice things happen since we lost Jim, but by far the best is that duo.
  9. Drtooth

The Gonzo/Rizzo dynamic is a strange one. Rizzo rose to being a major cast member in the 80's after MTM, where he really begun to shine. Somehow, I don't think the two of them were ever going to be buddies until MCC came along, and they paired them together as the narrators.

That dynamic, as well as the Bobo/Jeffery Tambor dynamic was one of the things that was RIGHT with the movie. Heck, most of Rizzo's involvement of the movie was the more entertaining bit of the film. I LOVE the lab rat scene, and the part where Rizzo and Pepe con Gonzo into building a jacuzzi, okay?

Seems that they've since tried to get Rizzo and Pepe to be a comedic duo as well...
    Duke Remington likes this.
  10. Speed Tracer

I like Pepe and Rizzo, but I think Pepe works more as a counter to the rest of the Muppets. He's considerably more focused on himself, hokay, than the rest of them are, and I think it makes him a little harder to write for. I can see why he's only got a bit to do in The Muppets. Pepe is a really good foil for the sort of cheerfulness we love the Muppets for. I still think Jim would have loved him.

I think the best way I could describe him, if you watch Parks and Rec, is the Tom Haverford to, say, Kermit's Leslie Knope.

I would LOVE to see Pepe and Bean together. But we haven't seen Bean in anything new since Muppet Christmas Carol, have we?

Oh, and to make this about Muppets From Space... I mean, none of us will ever forget "I will smack you like a bad, bad donkey, hokay."
    frogboy4 likes this.
  11. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I was recently reading Roger Ebert's 2000 Movie yearbook, which featured his reviews from 1998-1999, and I noticed that he never brought up Pepe, though supposedly every critic who otherwise disliked the film praised Pepe. Also interesting is that he apparently didn't review The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland (though he did review that Barney movie....).
  12. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Sorry but already have, hehe. ;)
  13. Drtooth

I really love Bean. But I don't think we'll ever quite see him again the way we have before Jim passed. Other than the fact that Steve is busy with Kermit and Rizzo already, there's just something about Bean that was experimental. he worked best in the specials and JHH episodes he was in. I just wonder how he would fit together with the others now.

If you ever watched the Muppet babies episodes that added him in there, even those writers were confused about what to do with him. I think there is indeed a place for Bean, and there always should be. But Bean's a strange character to write for. Maybe the writers just don't have a handle on him yet.
  14. Speed Tracer

Plus, with the youthful enthusiasm of already established characters like Scooter and Robin (and it would now seem Walter), it's very hard to find a place for Bean. I'd love to see him again in some capacity.
  15. BeakerFan14

BeakerFan14 Member

I think the director geared it a little more to little kids and I think it worked because I was only 4 when it came out and I liked it...
    :eek:
  16. Walter

Walter Active Member

Lol.. I liked Muppets From Space, sure it wasn't perfect... but it is still a fun movie in my opinion.:)
  17. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

Bean had two short bits in Muppets From Space and Very Merry Muppet Christmas movie. Might've been in Oz, too actually.
  18. Speed Tracer

Yeah, I happened to watch about two seconds of Oz that he was in the other day. He's on the bus.
  19. Drtooth

Yeah, I still LIKE it, but hearing what the movie could have been annoys me a tad. There are some strong moments in the film... Dr. VanNeuter's sequence, the Alien landing party at the house ("Who cut Gonzo's Cake?!" Sal says with a mouth full of frosting), and the lab rat bit was pretty good.

Still, there was NO call to take Uncle Matt out of the final product.
  20. Speed Tracer

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I've been thinking about two things in relation to Muppets From Space lately (I also notice that in the last few months I made the decision to use italics for titles instead of underlining them... huh). Thought that, rather than starting something new, I'd post 'em here for anyone interested.

The first is this. I read the interviews on The AV Club pretty regularly, and this one with Jeffrey Tambor has a great little bit that I think people would really like to know about:

"Billy Barretta"... that just makes me smile :D

The other thing was this. I'm not sure how common this knowledge is, but I was reminded by a friend the other day of a song written for Muppets From Space by my favorite band of all-time, Ween:

Obviously, they didn't use it, but I sure wish they had. Ween normally does some, heh, rather inappropriate songs, but this is a really lovely tune. I first discovered this on Steve Swanson's MuppetCast.

(Interestingly, Jim James, who is the frontman of my other favorite band, My Morning Jacket, wrote the first draft of "Man or Muppet," and two recent MMJ songs, "Wonderful (The Way I Feel)" and "Outta My System" were originally written for the Electric Mayhem to perform in the movie!)
    frogboy4 likes this.