1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What went wrong with Muppets from Space?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Daffney, Apr 1, 2011.

1. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Drtooth just wrote in 5 minutes something so much better than the writers behind MFS did in multiple months worth of work.
    Muppet Master and Powerstars like this.
  2. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

yeah that was a better story then the last half of MFS lol
    Powerstars likes this.
  3. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

I remember reading a simular forum. Not sure if this is the same one or not. But I don't mind talking about it again. Talking about Muppets is one of favorite things to do. lol
    I think what happened with Muppets From Space is Jerry Juhl wrote a script and Kirk Thatcher write a script. Kirk's was called Muppets in Space and I think it had something to do with Koosebane or something like that. Jerry's was about Gonzo worrying about who he is and where he came from. And the original Jerry Juhl script was really really funny and he even said he liked Kirk's script a lot but Jerry's got picked and Jerry mentioned that Kirk's would make a good film in the future. But there was a director who came in and walked off the project and then Tim Hill went to direct it and he made changes and perhaps executives did too to make it more hip to the new generation basicly why it fell apart. Originally it was going be a bunch of parodies of X-files and ET, but got replaced with toilet themed scat humor. (I ownly found Animal dunking his head into the toilet to be funny because it was really close to Animals primitive character.) Junk like Fozzie picking his nose and Miss Piggy running up the stairs saying that she's got to pee. Even Frank Oz said in an interview that he didn't like the final product, no one did, they all said it could have been better. I think that's when Frank decided to slowly quit The Muppets and pay more attention to directing.
    I've even heard Frank Oz didn't like the new Muppet movie draft script, didn't know if he seen the final movie. Personally I loved the new Muppet Movie, totally kicked the socks out of Muppets From Space.
    I'm sort of glad that Muppet Studios supervising everything before it's made now a days.
    It's strange no one stood up and said, No Muppets don't do toilet humor durring the pre-production of Muppets From Space.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Alternatively, there could be a scene in which they were caught.

Singer pulls everyone into his office, asking them to explain themselves. Fozzie (or Gonzo) explains that they need to meet the alien mother ship, but Kermit stops them from saying the exact location. Singer thinks for a second and lets them go, saying it was all a big mistake. The second they leave, Singer calls Bob and says "Let's follow them."

Something like that anyway.
  5. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I've read a rumor (which I wouldn't be surprised if it was true) that Jerry Juhl quit writing the movie because of the bathroom humor. The closest confirmation I can find to it being true is a Muppet Central news article which announced that Jerry Juhl left production of the film due to disagreements with The Jim Henson Company, though it said that he would continue to write for the company again in the future (and of course he retired shortly after the movie came out... It's a shame he didn't hold off on retiring until The Muppet Show Live in 2001, THAT would have been a great final writing assignment).
  6. Walter

Walter Active Member

True.. I suppose you're right.. Even though Rizzo isn't the most dependable Muppet in the world(he fell asleep when Gonzo was in need of moral support in the first scene..), I suppose it's the thought that counts..:shifty::concern:
  7. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

That was the biggest issue I had with MFS was Kermit and Piggy's relationship. Yeah it wasn't suppose to be the main focus but still it was like they were strangers. I had other issues with this film but that was the no. 1 issue I had. I thought were is the dynamic that they always have?? There was NONE was just very disappointing.

I should note I don't even think Kermit himself very much liked this film. Because I saw an interview he did on this German radio show back in Jan-Feb when he was promoting The Muppets film. And the interviewer said the last film they did was MFS and he asked Kermit why a new movie now? And Kermit's reply was "With all due respect to MFS you don't want that to be the last film you ever do, you want to do a better one" And it was a pretty serious answer so I don't even think Steve liked MFS much
    Hayley B likes this.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

On the one hand it was a Gonzo focused movie, but on the other hand Kermit and Piggy were present but not there. I like the concept of Piggy working at a news station, but other than that, she seemed completely out of the film EVEN though she was in that break out sequence. All she did there was make her trade mark "Kissy Kissies" and mock the door in a jar. Like I said, she would have been better suited waiting at the beach for everyone else.

Kermit was worse. There could have been some more tender moments between Kermit and Gonzo, but he seemed almost disinterested in Gonzo's deep depression. I don't get the complaints about how Kermit was in the last movie... about how depressed he was. he was at least emoting in that film. He was stuck in permanent Mr. Happy mode the entire time in MFS. I blame the script, not the performance... but there was something missing with Kermit in that movie. And it was there in MCC and MTI (at least closer to the end with that one).

And Like I said, there was NO sequence of Kermit telling people that htye had to support Piggy and watch her show when a bunch of Muppets were fighting over the TV. That small sequence could have spoke volumes. Kermit might as well have said "Hey guys! Raiders of the Lost Arc is on, but Piggy's thing is on first. Let's sit through that to kill time."

And knowing Tim Hill, the rest of the movie would be Kermit and the rest of them watching the movie, BUT they'd just cut it up to show the fun mundane stuff they do in between commercial breaks.

Seriously... HOW THE HECK bad was the director they fired that house painting and mail checking was more worthy of screen time than anything fun?
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  9. Pinkflower7783

I rest my case with Kermit's words about MFS. LOL! "With all due respect to MFS you don't want that to be the last film you ever do, you want to do a better one" :)
  10. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

I'll have to pay attention to "Kermit and Piggy's relationship" again. But the reply from Kermit is too funny. The Muppets was indeed an awesome comeback :laugh:

----

To everyone, I just watched it for the first time today. I thought it was pretty funny and well worth $5.00. I kept thinking the Muppets Wizard of OZ was much worst, honestly.
  11. Lola p

Lola p Well-Known Member

I agree. I personly think that Wizard of Oz was the worst Muppet movie. No offense to people who like it. just my personal opinion.
    JJandJanice and Hayley B like this.
  12. Pinkflower7783

Here is the interview I was talking about. It's also really funny so I recommend watching the whole thing! The guys in the background laughing are hilarious. Lol!

Nasubionna and Hayley B like this.
  13. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I could have sworn that was Joey Mazzarino who wrote the MFS script that got picked up. Or maybe he and Jerry both wrote it?

As I recall, the proposed Muppets in Space was about Kermit getting kidnapped by some aliens who thought that he was their leader. It was up to the rest of the gang to save Kermit. Some merchandise was sold for the film, but obviously nothing happened beyond that.

Interestingly, MFS was originally supposed to have had a different ending. It was something along the lines of Gonzo finally meeting his 'family', only to learn that they are actually Gonzo fans. This therefore kept Gonzo's species up in the air, but Gonzo was happy because he still had a family (obviously the Muppets). There was also supposed to have been a cameo by Traveling Matt. This probably would have been a more suitable ending (although the finished ending was still played well).
  14. Lola p

Lola p Well-Known Member

Oh. My. God.... All in favor of letting Dr. tooth re write the entire movie and directing it?
    Muppet Master and Powerstars like this.
  15. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

Alright, here's what I think of the movie.

PROS:
    -Sereval great laughs, such as “Doctor, doctor.”
    -The Gonzo/Van Neuter scene
    -The opening with Noah's Ark
    -“Brick House”
    -Pepe. Need I say more?
    -Good initial concept

CONS:
    -Poor directing
    -Mildly butchered script
    -Not enough Kermit/Robin/Fozzie/Mayhem/Beaker
    -Muppets in “Brick House” seem to disappear after the song
    -Not “Muppetty” enough.
    -Funk
    -No original songs
    -Gonzo's an alien

Overall, it was a good movie, not great, not bad, but certainly enjoyable.
    Hayley B likes this.
  16. Pinkflower7783

All I'm saying is is if Kermit wasn't too fond of it then.... Lol! I'm sorry and no disrespect to people who really liked this movie but I really just have nothing good to say about it. It wasn't the muppets I know and love.
  17. Lola p

Lola p Well-Known Member

there is more i could add to cons, but i am to tired to talk about it.
  18. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

Alright, I'd love to see what you can add!
  19. Lola p

Lola p Well-Known Member

Ok, my add ons:

No muppet songs at all!
    A LOT of potty humor
    Too many muppets involved in the Convent scene (when they broke gonzo out)
    They were not the muppets we know and love
    So many old favetoite muppets are ignored and there's mabye 10 muppets that are focused on (what I mean is: it is all about gonzo, Kermit, piggy, etc. other muppets are just there)
    And finally, my personal pet peeve: scooter had 1 line.. AND IT WAS NOT EVEN LIKE SCOOTER!
    heralde and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  20. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Well Gonzo was so much the focus of the whole movie. I feel Rizzo even had a better role than Kermit, Piggy or Fozzie.

As for the Scooter line, you have to remember, at least Scooter GOT A LINE. He was NO WHERE in the last two Muppet movies before this, Muppet Christmas Carol and Treasure Island.