1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What went wrong with Muppets from Space?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Daffney, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

My pet peeves with this movie wasn't even about the focus being on Gonzo because I love Gonzo but the Muppet spirit wasn't there...
    heralde likes this.
  2. Lola p

Lola p Well-Known Member

i get that, but why can't you make it similar to the character? The line was NOTHING like Scooter! He would not be selling shirts to make money, he would be helping kermit and the gang get to Cape Cod!
  3. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well to be fair on Muppet Show Scooter once took the opportunity to get the audience to buy his magazines so he could win a skateboard (which he eventually did apparently, lol). ;)
    Lola p likes this.
  4. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

Sure, no Muppet songs. There was a bit of Potty humor. If anything, there weren't ENOUGH muppets in the Covnet scene. Are you saying the Muppet movie had too many characters in the showdown? They tried something different, I can see that. Muppets who had relevance: Gonzo, Kermit, Piggy, Rizzo, and of course, Pepe. It was Scooter's first line in years, it was VERY important. We also had Rowlf's first line in years, with "OUGH!!!" JJandJanice stated what I mean about Scooter. I can kinda see how you feel about it being out of character, but I refer you to Heralde.
  5. heralde

Thanks, although to be fair (again hehe) I have no interest in seeing MFS again. I agree that by and large the Muppets are out of character.
  6. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

Will I like the movie, I can see that. Gonzo, Rizzo, Animal, Johnny, Sal, Van Neuter and Pepe are in character, Miss Piggy is mildly in character, Kermit's barely in character, and everyone else is out of character, such as Fozzie, who gets funny lines, but he never once tells an actual joke.
  7. heralde

With Gonzo I'm reminded of something I read on the Tough Pigs site about MFS: "Too strong a character role for one of the crazier characters." Now that's not to say one of the non-Kermit characters should never have a staring role. But if not done properly it can create an imbalance in a character's personality.

Johnny and Pepe probably were in character but for me that's the problem, lol. Though I do like Pepe on occasion in small doses, lol.
  8. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

Pepe is underrated to me. All the little shrimp wants is to "shake his bun-buns with Ricky Martin, hokay?" And money. And women. But, then again, Animal wants women too, and look how popular he is. I agree with the "Too strong a character role." I loved Johnny and Sal and wish there was more of them. Same with Dr. Phil. Brian should really work with the Muppets again.
    Lola p likes this.
  9. heralde

Oh I love Animal. His, um, "interest" in woman reminds me of the classic hard rocker, lol. But Pepe reminds me of teenagers trying to seem grown up. It's shock value and that's about it. But to each their own. :)
    Hayley B likes this.
  10. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

I also thought Animal was overrated, but he's still cool.
  11. heralde

It always made sense to me that he'd get most of the attention; he's clearly the band member with the most humor potential. He did get a bit overexposed on Muppet Babies perhaps, hehe.
  12. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

My main problem is that the rest of the band is overshadowed by him.
  13. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

Just going by the movies alone. I think that this had been the most times that they used Animal in one.

Speaking like a fan. I wish they would make one center him. Or the Electric Mayhem especially.
  14. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

The Mayhem, Animal is popular enough as it is. I'd love to see Floyd actually DO something.
    Hayley B likes this.
  15. heralde

Oh I think they are best when they're a group absolutely. But every group has a break out star, for better or worse, because they have the most mass appeal. It's like being the group's mascot.
    Hayley B likes this.
  16. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Yeah and if they had principal performers at the time, I am sure Rowlf and the Elecric Mayhem would of helped too.

I agree that Scooter would of helped his fellow Muppets first...but...Scooter has been known to scream a buck or two whenever the time was good for it. Don't believe me? Than check out the Sylvester Stallone episode of the Muppet Show. He sold backstage passes to those Sly groupies, something Kermit did stated they don't give out (and they weren't given out, it cost them a bundle). Than Scooter did use the girls to get Kermit to agree to let them stay.

Needless to say, I am NOT trying to put Scooter in a bad light here, I love Scooter. I am just saying indeed, indeed, he has scam a buck here or there, when the time was for it.
  17. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

Just because I would like to see Floyd more too. Also Dr.Teeth and Janice. But I can never have enough of Animal.
  18. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

That was a great opportunity for Floyd to do something since Jerry was around.
  19. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

Thank you for this post!
    heralde likes this.
  20. Powerstars

Powerstars Active Member

I love how this just became a ramble about the Electric Mayhem. :)