1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What went wrong with Muppets from Space?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Daffney, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree on this one. I did not find it enjoyable from beginning to end.
  2. Powerstars Active Member

One of my problems is that it's too dark. Literally, too dark. I thought this was a Muppet movie, yeesh!
  3. Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I'm just saying if even Kermit the Frog himself said "you want to do a better film" then nothing needs to be said on my part. Lol! But hey no offense for those who did enjoy it! I ain't knocking you for it I'm just giving how I personally feel about the film. The Muppets in the movie were not the Muppets I grew up with.
  4. Powerstars Active Member

Yeah, I can see that, they weren't in character.
  5. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I feel that even though the movie wasn't merchandised well, it seems like the Wendy's kids meal promotion was advertised more than the actual movie was (well, that's advertisement money Columbia/Henson didn't have to spend, basically free publicity while also getting paid for the license).

I often wonder why all of the Wendy's Kids Meal items were so different from each other. There's a minature Electric Mayhem Bus (which is cool, I know many fans were wanting one at the time), a Kermit keychain, a Gonzo space vehicle, an activity book, and a microphone. So two pieces of character merchandise, two toy cars, an accessory, and a activity book. Why not just make it all character toys? Perhaps all plush keychains like the Kermit. They could make made keychains of Gonzo, Rizzo, Miss Piggy, and Pepe (or Fozzie or Animal). Why include an activity book as an option alongside toys? Did Wendy's normally have kids meal promotions where every item was significantly different (I honestly can't remember)?
  6. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on Wendy's Kids meal prizes. Unless they're something completely and utterly uniform, like the Looney Tunes Pen promotions, you could easily end up with an AMAZING MOC action figure or a freaking pinball game or worst of all, some IDIOTIC paper good masquerading as a board game or note pad.

To say that Wendy's rarely had uniform prizes, I'll give you an example of the last DECENT recent promotion... Wordgirl. There were 5 toys. Well, two toys and 3 weird items.

• A magnetic plastic Dancing Captain Huggyface
    • A "flying" Wordgirl on a stick
    • An audiobook with NONE of the original voice cast, except probably Wordgirl (Marc Thompson, regular voice actor for 4Kids projects did all the other voices)
    • a Hexagon puzzle
    • a clip on card game with all the villains on it.
    I only got the CD and the puzzle.

Like I said, unless they're all pens, Wendy's stuff has ALWAYS been inconsistent. Unlike, say McDonalds, where the toys are usually uniform. BK's sometimes are, sometimes aren't.
  7. Fraggline Active Member

@Drtooth: that's an awesome new re-write for the movie! Especially the "we have to go find..." gag.

And, yeah, some parts of the movie did run kind of slow and caused me to lose interest at times. But I admit that I did like that "Clifford checking mail" bit--that was cute! It makes me want to write a little story about "Sha-nay-nay" sometime soon. Hmm....yeah...yeah, that would be a good use of my time today.
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Cute, but a useless aside that took time from something better.
  9. Fraggline Active Member

Yeah, you have a point.
  10. Muppet Master Active Member

Um, heh heh, that's kinda me. I mean MFS wasn't exactly my first exposure to the muppets, I first watched TMS Star Wars episode, TMM, MTI, and then this. But once I became a muppet fan and learned there was a movie with my two favorite things "muppets" and "space". I was jumping for joy and I rented the DVD. Ok for the record this was what I was expecting in bold letters. Gonzo's sad, because he has no one and goes for a stroll or something, gets abducted by spaceship. Aliens inside spaceship believe Gonzo is "the chosen one". Soon Kermit and the gang find out and go to some NASA place (I envisioned something like C. O. V. N. E. T) where they steal a spaceship and go after Gonzo... IN SPACE (dun dun). Basically they find him and they go home and stuff happens and Gonzo comes home. P.S After watching the trailer I though the "Celebration" scene took place in outer space. That's what I though the movie would be. After watching it I admit I was a bit disappointed, but at the same time for some reason I loved it. I watched it 2 more times before returning. After watching it months later I didn't get the thrill, the vibe, I did after watching it those 3 times. But in all MFS has a place in my heart, and while I found out a lot of the other muppet films are much better than MFS, I still watch it now and then and I still like the film a lot.
    Slackbot likes this.
  11. Muppet Master Active Member

OMG, that's almost exactly like me!
  12. Muppet Master Active Member

Oh my gosh, I'm speechless. You literally have me in tears. That's like the BEST script ever. Oh gosh, how did you come up with that. Wow, that would've been so awesome. It stays in touch with the classic muppet show and films what with the running gag of Gonzo and Rizzo popping up. Gosh I totally wish you had written that scene for MFS and just the whole movie. You made my day Dr. Tooth. Thank you :).
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's the problem with MFS. It's not a bad movie, but it wastes its potential for being a very good movie.

They really should have gone with another director. I'm sure at least Joey's original script would have at least have more laughs.
    dwayne1115 likes this.
  14. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Or Jerry's for that matter. Which was one of his last works with the Muppets.
  15. Muppet Master Active Member

About the director thing, I read on a MC article from '98 that Randal Klesier (director of Grease) was originally going to direct the film, but because of "creative differences" he was dropped. I wonder if the film would've been better if he directed it?
  16. Muppet Master Active Member

I'm sorry if this is off-topic. I just have to say this in a friendly matter but what do you have againist IAVMMCM (affectionatly called VMX)? The characters were all in character, compare the Piggy and Fozzie in MTI to them in VMX, a lot of long lost muppet characters, :flirt: ;) :sympathy:, came back into the mixture with full lines! The plot was strong and near perfect, there were two legit songs, "Moulin Scrooge", and "Everyone Matters", the latter of which was one of the most heartwarming muppet songs ever. The cage dancing at a rave party thing was AN ALTERANTIVE UNIVERSE, IN ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSES IF YOU ARE A GOOD PERSON THEN YOU ARE A BAD PERSON. I fell like the only real criticism for the film is about Scooter cage-dancing, I mean the muppets were made for adults, they're only dubbed kiddy material, because of Disney. Heck without the pop culture references I think the film is right up there with TMM and GMC! I even think it's better than TM'11. AGAIN SORRY FOR BEING SO OFF-TOPIC.
  17. Muppet Master Active Member

You know I've got an idea of what a song in MFS shoul'd've been. Instead of "Brick House" they'd perform an original song entitled "We're Back"
    "The Muppets are Back"
    :) The Muppets are back
    :) Our three year hiatus is over
    :) Let's start another muppet movie and hope we do it right
    :o:concern::):rolleyes: The Muppets are back. The wait is over.
    :mad: And we're flashier and dashier than ever before
    Various: The muppets are back, we sooth your soul
    :) Now please don't make a fight, but who should get the main role?

:mad: It should be moi, I'll save the movie for all it's worth (dialouge)

:sympathy: Uh Kermit, here (hands Kermit a piece of paper) (dialouge)

:) Sorry everybody it looks like Gonzo gets the role (dialouge)

:concern: Whoope I've never felt more alive, let's hope I don't ruin it and this movie thrives

Various: The Muppets are Back with Gonzo front seat

:concern: Oh please let Camilla have a main role oh please

Various:The muppets are back, our furriness returns

:sing: Now let's get this show on the road and hope the audience ain't bored

The muppets are back. :fishy: with fish galore

Let the world know it's true that we didn't bid adue

The muppets are back; our three year hiatus is over and our furriness returns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya it's a lot like "We're Doing a Sequel".

18. Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Actually, Rowlf didn't really do anything. Yeah, he had that one line towards the end that you have to listen for, and he hums a little bit during the party. But otherwise...

Fozzie still had a small hint of Squire Trelawney left over from MTI. At least in a few scenes. But otherwise, he was pretty much back to his old self.

Either way, I agree IAVMMCM was certainly not the worst Muppet movie. Personally, I put it in the "okay" category.
  19. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Jerry kinda left the project early on. Even without the bad director ruining everything, you could tell something was wrong immediately. There was such a cloud over this project.

Really seems Fozzie was becoming a complete idiot since MTI. At least his excuse there was he was playing a character. The picking his nose bit was out of character... but the bit where Pepe was wearing a tutu wouldn't exist without it. And I gotta admit, I hate the bit about "Mama says always wash your hands, no exceptions" makes him come off more juvenile than just having his close relationship with his mother. But I can't say he's awful in it. They just put too many Frank Oz characters in one scene. I actually do enjoy the escape sequence, but it feels they ruined a lot of potential in that bit.

Hey, now that I think about it, ya think "Muppetman" was a slight reference to the "Doctor? "Doctor!" bit?
  20. LamangoNumber2 Active Member

I would have rather watched a movie were Gonzo was duct tape to a ceiling fan for a good hour and a half.
    heralde likes this.