"What you think about Disney" Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
One thing I don't care for with Disney is those awful not too well thought out straight to video sequels.

Even though I just said that, I'm actually wacthing "Return of Jafar" while typing this, :smile:. But that's mainly cause my nephew wanted to wacth it
There seems to be 3 kinds of these cheapquals... a standard random sequal of a project, a pilot episode for a cartoon series, and 3 episodes of an unsold cartoon series smushed together...

"Return of Jafar" is clearly a pilot for the Aladdin cartoon. Considering Abys Mal is in it, especially.

But these have thankfully been stopped by John Lassiter. Only reason why we got Little Mermaid 3 was because it was too far into production to completely give up on.

Of course, that didn't mean they were all terrible. I feel The Lion King 2 was a great continuation of the first film. And An Extremely Goofy movie (minus the X-Games and ESPN obvious advertisements) was deep down a great movie about Max and Goofy's relationship when max hit adulthood.... Too bad Jungle Book 2 was a piece of crap.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Of course, that didn't mean they were all terrible. I feel The Lion King 2 was a great continuation of the first film. And An Extremely Goofy movie (minus the X-Games and ESPN obvious advertisements) was deep down a great movie about Max and Goofy's relationship when max hit adulthood.... Too bad Jungle Book 2 was a piece of crap.
I agree... I'm don't hate all of the sequels. The Lion King 2, Aladdin 2 and 3, and The Little Mermaid 2 are all favorites of mine. I absolutely LOVE The Lion King 1 1/2... but besides that, I despise all of the other sequels/prequels/midquels whatever they may be. I could rant on the others for hours on end... Ugh.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
But these have thankfully been stopped by John Lassiter. Only reason why we got Little Mermaid 3 was because it was too far into production to completely give up on.
Wasn't that the case with the Tinker Bell movie? :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wasn't that the case with the Tinker Bell movie? :confused:
Exactly the case. Lassiter made them redo a lot of it, though... At least that's what I've heard... he said it was unwatchable. But then again, Tinkerbelle is based on a series of European comics.... so on a technicality, is it really a sequal? Of course, Lady and the Tramp 2 was based off of 1960's comics about their puppy son Scamp.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I would not consider the Tinkerbelle movie a sequal to Peter Pan in anyway shape or form. More like a spin off, if you will,:wink:.

I could be wrong since I never actually wacth it (and don't have any plans to the near furture), but it really has nothing to do with Peter Pan nor Captian Hook, and Tink takes on an adventure of her own. So I don't think of it as a Sequal

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, a spin off of comic book adaption, if you will.

But you know what I miss most about Disney? All their old animated TV shows... From Gummi Bears to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. Of course, I wasn't all that wild with the Tarzan series, since I wasn't all that wild about their Tarzan film to begin with. I miss the Disney Afternoon... but I also miss the One Saturday Morning line up. Sure, their Doug wasn't as good as Nick's (though we had a lot more Quailman episodes)... and I don't see why they didn't keep Billy West on the pay role. But I really liked Recess, Pepper Ann and the underrated Lloyd in Space. If Recess was like a kid's version of the Simpsons, Lloyd was their version of Futurama... no wonder it got canceled so soon...

I even like the current Emperor's New School and Replacements... or at least the 12 episodes of both that they rerun on Saturday mornings. I got sick of them half way through the second year. I know what their focus is, but it's no excuse to throw away their TV animation studio.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
If you've watched the new Pinocchio DVD (or Blu ray disc), you'd see there is a trailer for a new Tinkerbell movie coming straight to video soon called "Tinkerbell and the Lost Treasure".
As far as sequels go, depends on the script. The Aladdin sequels were mediocre at best as well as The Lion Kings, but something like Toy Story I feel the sequel was just as good as (not better) than the first.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As far as sequels go, depends on the script. The Aladdin sequels were mediocre at best as well as The Lion Kings, but something like Toy Story I feel the sequel was just as good as (not better) than the first.
Toy Story 2 follows Pixar's vision that sequals should be more ambitious than the first film. I think that TS 2 does such a good job, I don't even think TS 1 is as epic as it was when I first saw it in comparison. I feel that the Lion King 2 was very well done, and showed that a DTV sequel can be made without it being a pilot for a cartoon series (again, Aladdin 2. Even had the same dude who'd play the Genie in the cartoon series in it). Of course, I liked Aladdin 3 and all, but the big thing about that one was Robin Williams coming back as the Genie.

Now what sort of bugs me is that Dan Castlenetta can do all these celebrity voice impersonations, but he really doesn't seem to have that opportunity in Aladdin 2 or the animated series that came later. Was that under pressure from Disney not to do those impersonations?

Only one I truely hated (out of the ones I watched. I avoid them best I can) was Jungle Book 2. It was bad enough Louis Prima's widow wanted a ban on impersonations of him (spoil sport! You can't copyright a voice), but the whole thing focused on Mowgli's friends. I will say John Goodman did a decent job as Baloo, since both of his previous voice actors passed on (including the Voice actor that played him in Talespin... he passed away in 1999).

Somehow, I wish they just did a Talespin movie instead. I mean, Louie couldn't be in it... but we'd still have Don Karnage... and right up with Darkwing, I can tell that was one of Jim Cummings's favorite voices. You can always tell when a VA is having fun with a role.