What's Wrong with Sweatpants?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Seriously? They're comfortable, they're warm, they're ideal for fall and winter when the temps get no higher than the 60s... but what's wrong with them? It's like they're not "socially acceptable" or something, my mom says I need to start wearing khaki pants now, but those are so funky and suffocate your crotch and you can't sit or stand in them comfortably. I've heard other people make a big deal out of sweatpants, so what's wrong with them? Why can't I wear them? They're me!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As long as they're not sweaty and as long as you're not going to a dinner party I don't see the problem. However, I live in a city filled with hippies. Sometimes the only way to tell the homeless from the hip is by looking at their shoes. :cool:

I am a great supporter of comfort. I've been told more could be done with my sense of style, but I'd rather be comfortable. Jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers suit me fine most of the time.

Xerus

Reaction score
I too am a sweatpants fan. :smile: They're comfortable and they're great to wear when I'm just hanging around the house or working out at the local gym.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I too am a sweatpants fan. :smile: They're comfortable and they're great to wear when I'm just hanging around the house or working out at the local gym.
But apparently, out in public, they're not socially acceptable then huh? At least that's how my mom's acting about them, lol.

And Jamie, jeans actually fall in the same, uncomfortable category for me, lol, they have the same effect on my as khakis do.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
But apparently, out in public, they're not socially acceptable then huh? At least that's how my mom's acting about them, lol.

And Jamie, jeans actually fall in the same, uncomfortable category for me, lol, they have the same effect on my as khakis do.
Some companies like H&M are starting to make some really comfortable slacks, but I get ya. Heck, around my apartment I'm lucky to be wearing pants! :concern: But I digress. (uncomfortable silence) It's a thing most of my friends know about me. Hey, everyone has their delightfully odd bits. Them's mine.

IMHO acceptable places to wear sweats include - the supermarket, local restaurants, around the house, the movies, around the neighborhood, the gym, the park, clothes shopping, sporting events, college courses, the local pub, car trips and friendly get togethers.

Places with finer dress codes include - nicer restaurants, high school classes, the theater, clubs (excluding theme nights), offices, job interviews (of course), graduations, fussy dinner parties, holidays, romantic dates and special occasions.

A good rule of thumb if you wear a lot of any article of clothing is to find a variety of different colors and styles instead of wearing the same thing all the time. I had to retire a particular flannel shirt from my college days. It was just so comfy. :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
IMHO acceptable places to wear sweats include - the supermarket, local restaurants, around the house, the movies, around the neighborhood, the gym, the park, clothes shopping, sporting events, college courses, the local pub, car trips and friendly get togethers.
I get you there, but apparently, my mom disagrees about college courses, what with me about to start college, and she says I need to don a more "grown up" appearance.
Jamie said:
Places with finer dress codes include - nicer restaurants, high school classes, the theater, clubs (excluding theme nights), offices, job interviews (of course), graduations, fussy dinner parties, holidays, romantic dates and special occasions.
I get you there too, now THOSE occasions I don't mind dressing up for, heck, I wore my first suit at a formal dance party two years ago... I didn't like it at first, but after a while, I didn't think anything about it, lol. But, it's kind of like they always say "First impressions are a lasting impression", but the thing of it is, nobody is ever like they really are on their first impressions, you know? Lol.

I guess I'm just a little inhibited by my mother trying to change my appearance... I mean, what happened to individuality? Originality? My mom is fine with my top wear (during summer I wear golf shirts, and during winter, I always wear sweaters), it's just the sweat pants she says I need to get rid of.

When I really think about it, I'm remind of my hero Jim Henson. He had his own style, and I remember reading Caroll Spinney say Jim wasn't the "suit-and-tie type", and neither am I.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I like sweatpants they make the 'bread dough' puff on the front of my belly that I inherited from my grandma, and will never feel right wearing a two piece bathing suit with, happy :smile:. The key is making sure you wear a clean nice looking pair, and don't go out in public in them if the weather makes it look..werid. *lol* Of course, if I want something comfy and the wind is not blowing a skirt is nice to, or a pair of elastic band jeans :smile:

Skye

Reaction score

That's a great list, Jamie, and exactly what I was thinking. Obviously, there are some places where sweatpants just aren't the way to go, lol. :wink:

But for an every day, just hanging out or running errands type thing, I see nothing wrong with them at all. I've actually never even owned sweatpants before (weird, I know). But, I've always thought they were perfectly fine and pretty cool.

I don't know why your mom is trying to change your image, either, Snowthy! There's nothing wrong with you just being you and wearing what you like. We all have our own styles and we all like different things. And hey, I'm all for the sweatpants, too!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just a little inhibited by my mother trying to change my appearance... I mean, what happened to individuality? Originality? My mom is fine with my top wear (during summer I wear golf shirts, and during winter, I always wear sweaters), it's just the sweat pants she says I need to get rid of.

When I really think about it, I'm remind of my hero Jim Henson. He had his own style, and I remember reading Caroll Spinney say Jim wasn't the "suit-and-tie type", and neither am I.
Many women love to shop and help in that area and if your mom wants to do it that could be a good thing but only if you're comfortable with what you are wearing. If you have any doubts when trying something on it's best to leave it for someone else. I see so many well dressed uncomfortable people that aren't happy. It must bite to be one of them.

I believe in nice shirts. That's where most of my investment goes.

Also, in some circles wearing designer sweats is still quite popular (and I don't mean the Tony Soprano kind). He he.