When you need to rant...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I actually cannot believe that it's now politically incorrect to say, "Politically correct"... apparently, it's even now politically incorrect to say, "Politically incorrect," we now have to say, "Politically sensitive" and, "Politically insensitive." What has this world come to? How much more uber-sensitive and overly offended can people today get?
I've grown to loathe the term "politically correct" because it became a catch all term for those who are offended by people being offended about something. True P.C. is not being able to use the N word anymore, not some weird e-mail forwarded story about obscure school district not being able to serve peanut butter that turns out to be bullcrap anyway. Those who complain that we're too sensitive as a society today are the most easily offended of the bunch... and often for pretty petty reasons. If anything, you hear more complaints from the anti-P.C. camp. So I ask you, who's the more overly sensitive ones here?

I truly believe there's a huge conspiracy on the part of racists to throw the term around so far and loosely that everyone grows to hate it so they can continue to do various real politically incorrect things... like whining about the severe lack of 1940's-70's style negative Asian caricatures in children's cartoons (and unironically in adult cartoons) on youtube.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, I just got the weirdest ad ever... came out of nowhere: some kind of dinosaur with a laser attached to its head... that pop-tart cat thingy that poops rainbow... Adventure Time... all over the screen... and again, I have both adblockers on!

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Okay, I just got the weirdest ad ever... came out of nowhere: some kind of dinosaur with a laser attached to its head... that pop-tart cat thingy that poops rainbow... Adventure Time... all over the screen... and again, I have both adblockers on!
I SAW THAT TOO ON YAHOO :eek:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't believe it... I actually can't believe it... schools around here have been closed all throughout the month, not necessarily just because of the snow we had earlier this week (just about the only big snow we'vehad this season), but because, "The weather has been too cold."

Really? They close school now because the weather is, "Too cold"? Lemme tell ya, *Alter Kocker voice* Back in mah day, win we went t'skool... they would have never canceled school if it was "too cold", or even "too hot"... heck, even if there was ice on the roads, they'd still make us go to school.

Kids have it so lucky these days.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Temperatures and windchills below zero are quite dangerous. Add to the growing heating source shortages (propane especially) and you pretty much have a situation that puts the youngest kids in danger. You can put layers of coats on your kid, but it only goes so far.

Now, what I don't get is how Atlanta is completely broken down to massive, major disaster territory from 2 inches of snow. It takes well over a foot to screw with things here. They don't even think of closing schools unless it's well over 6 inches and really bad up here (unless there's a situation where the forecast is worse than what we get, like what happened a week ago, but things were cancelled the night before). I guess they're just completely unprepared. See, this is why you pay your taxes, people. The big bad government pays people to clean up those roads.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now, what I don't get is how Atlanta is completely broken down to massive, major disaster territory from 2 inches of snow.
Snow isn't common down here in the south... even if the weather so much as forecasts the possibilities of flurries, people absolutely freak out and rush over to the stores and start stocking up on eggs, bread, and milk. I guess they see footage of what the north goes through on TV, so they have this idea that winter precipitation of any kind = the end of the world.

Meanwhile, the Canadians sit back, watch all of us freak out, and laugh their butts off at us.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To be fair they keep claiming it hasn't been this cold since the 1800's or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Snow isn't common down here in the south... even if the weather so much as forecasts the possibilities of flurries, people absolutely freak out and rush over to the stores and start stocking up on eggs, bread, and milk. I guess they see footage of what the north goes through on TV, so they have this idea that winter precipitation of any kind = the end of the world.
I totally get why you like winter so much. You barely get it. It can snow in October here. Though, when it does, it doesn't snow much the rest of the season. We've had ridiculously low temperature bursts since November this year. And need I talk about the April Fool's storm of 97? 2 FREAKING feet in April. After a relatively warm day, all at night. Is there any wonder I hate this season with a burning passion?

To be fair they keep claiming it hasn't been this cold since the 1800's or something.
Yeah. To be fair this kind of cold is unprecedented. Yet, it seems the last few winters, the cold air keeps moving south deeper and deeper. I think it's time for southern states to develop a little more winter preparedness if that's the case.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I totally get why you like winter so much. You barely get it. It can snow in October here. Though, when it does, it doesn't snow much the rest of the season. We've had ridiculously low temperature bursts since November this year.
Yeah, we've also had some ridiculously low temperatures down here as well, which is highly unusual for us... typically, throughout winter down here, the lowest it will get during the day is the low 40s and maybe the mid 20s overnight, however this season, we've gotten as low as the teens during the day, and below 0 overnight.

However, as I've said many, many times before, when it comes to summer on the other hand, we usually have to put up with temps that'll range anywhere between 90 to 115 for weeks on in... and it doesn't rain an awful lot during summer as well (though we actually just had two really wet summers these past two years), believe it or not, we never really did fully recover from the drought of 2007; one of our rivers that runs through town is still so low, you can wade out into the middle of it and the water will barely reach your waist, and it used to be a treacherous river notorious for it's undercurrent that's claimed many a life or two.