When you need to rant...

cjd874

Reaction score
That's the essence of advertising. Create a need. Convince people something is missing in their lives. If these companies were given truth serum, they would say, "There's no profit in a positive body image." Hehe :wink:
Yep. I wish it weren't so, but that's the reality that we all face on a daily basis.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On that subject. I can take the fact comic book geek fans are pulling their hair out because Ben Affleck is going to be Batman and they pretty much hated the last Superman movie anyway for idiotic reasons... but this is something that will give you the headdesk of a lifetime. So, if you have a desk, I'd make sure to clear it of any sharp and or fragile objects. I'll give you a minute.

...okay... ready?

They're complaining about the choice of who's playing Wonder Woman because her boobs aren't big enough!

I ask you. Is there any doubt as to why they haven't had a major solo WW project since the Lynda Carter show? :sigh:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
On that subject. I can take the fact comic book geek
They're complaining about the choice of who's playing Wonder Woman because her boobs aren't big enough!
Well from I've read, people just think the actress is too stick skinny to play a warrior woman realistically. Hollywood still thinks anorexic equals sexy.

And for the record while I didn't hate the last Superman movie, I can't say I'll be watching it again any time soon, hehe.

The current casting thing that people are complaining about is Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, but I personally have no problem with that. I've enjoyed him in the movies I've seen.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Heh! You should see reactions to certain geeks and nerds cosplaying as various different female characters: people will actually comment on whether or not the cosplayer is pulling it off or not based on that cosplayer's breast size.

Of course, then again, I've noticed, while always deranged to begin with, cosplaying has really started becoming more and more of a kinky thing at these fan cons... and not even G-rated either (though certainly not straight-up X-rated): in the last year or so, the number of pics I've seen of tonsil hockey and practically dry-humping seem to have exploded. It brings the disturbing factor of cosplaying and fan cons to like a whole nother twenty levels of wrongity-wrong. *Shudders*

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The current casting thing that people are complaining about is Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, but I personally have no problem with that. I've enjoyed him in the movies I've seen.
The problem with Hollywood is that once certain actors and actresses become mainstream, it's like they have to be in every single new movie that comes out, whether they're really a fit for the characters they're portraying or not, and it continues in vicious cycles. As I've said before, there was a period of time in the late-2000s where Steve Carrell was in everything; then in the early-2010s, it was Mila Kunis who was always the leading lady in pretty much every new movie that came out; now, it's Jennifer Lawrence who keeps getting thrusted onto the silver screen in everything (and she's actually complaining out it too); equally, try watching TV without seeing Neil Patrick Harris at least once a day. Jesse Eisenberg, while not quite the same level as Carrell, Kunis, Lawrence, or NPH, is kind of in the same league: he had a success with that Facebook biopic, so he's kind of like the Michael Cera after Michael Cera kind of faded back into obscurity.

Basically, there's really no credibility here. When actors are put into so many movies like this back-to-back-to-back-to-back, everything they do starts to become a blur, and you really can't distinguish one movie, or even one character they play, from another, because it's like you can't even really invest in anything they do, because it keeps coming at you fast than you can process it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The problem with Hollywood is that once certain actors and actresses become mainstream, it's like they have to be in every single new movie that comes out, whether they're really a fit for the characters they're portraying or not, and it continues in vicious cycles.
Oh absolutely, I have no doubt that's why Eisenberg got the part. He's just hot right now. Maybe I don't mind because I don't have that much connection to one particular Lex Luthor. He's had a lot of different live action incarnations over the years.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well from I've read, people just think the actress is too stick skinny to play a warrior woman realistically. Hollywood still thinks anorexic equals sexy.

And for the record while I didn't hate the last Superman movie, I can't say I'll be watching it again any time soon, hehe.

I'd absolutely hate to see some woman who's the exact body type of Wonder Woman. Same reason I'd hate to see a real life Chun-Li. Those horrifyingly unrealistic veiny, overly muscular legs. There's a fine line difference between what's drawn and what's realistic, even if the art is supposedly realistic. On the other hand, WW fans should be grateful we're getting something with Wonder Woman in it. Her theatrical debut is going to be a bit character in the Lego movie! If it gets a foot in the door to actually making an actual Wonder Woman movie, all the best to them.

It doesn't matter who they get to play who, someone's going to be completely P.O'd when they make an announcement. Then, you'll see, they're the BIGGEST defenders of it unless they're that stubborn. Everyone forgets the amount of hate Heath Ledger got until they actually saw him play The Joker. As long as Eisnenberg doesn't have a stick up his butt about playing him bald. That's why I didn't care for Hackman's version of the character... then again, I'm partial to Michael Bell and Clancy Brown's versions of the characters, but they're just voice acting.

That said, I still want to see a Plastic Man movie. Ol' Bats is my favorite DC character, but Plastic Man's a character that needs his day in the limelight. He was Bat-Embargoed out of Justice League (ironically having to use Elongated Man, who DC created because they didn't think they had the rights to him... who in the show himself complained about Plastic Man getting more recognition when he was never even shown... just mentioned), he had that 1979 cartoon series (which is rather good, and much better than Superfriends and the Batman series they had at the time), and other than some DC nation shorts, he never got that big TV project past the pilot.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Everyone forgets the amount of hate Heath Ledger got until they actually saw him play The Joker.
From what I've seen no one has forgotten, mainly because there's always a ton of fans to remind them, heh. :wink:

Ledger's success doesn't mean every new casting choice will be a success. It just means we should remember actors can have range and it's possible they'll surprise you. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Gah! TBS is starting up again with their constant and excessive, "D00d! We air THE BIG BANG THEORY, like, all the timez, even tho we been airing it for like 2-3 yearz nowz, we still like 2 act like we just added it to our network cuz its THE BIG BANG THEORY! WOOOOO!"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember when TBS used to be the haven for all the sitcoms you couldn't find on the networks. Kinda like a precursor to TVLand. They had a few staples like the Brady Bunch and Happy Days, but for a while they also had a block of Gomer Pyle, Jeannie, Bewitched, without running them into the ground.

25 years ago, TNT was great, too. Their calling card was "Toons 'til Noon"- Looney Tunes, some Hanna-Barbera toons like Magilla Gorilla, Banana Splits, plus Fraggle Rock. Nice while it lasted.