When you need to rant...

Dominicboo1

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah there's a lot of issues like that in this country, heh.

In any case, I seriously doubt this will pass. It's a smokescreen just to liven up the party. The "we reserve the right to refuse service" thing is ancient history.

And I'll give them this much. They aren't as complete monstery as Russia or African countries on the matter. Even though, as I said, the hardcore Fundies of this country are the only reason Africa's doing what it's doing.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Ohio and Kansas backed down, but Arizona hasn't. It passed its own "right to discriminate" legislation, which is now awaiting the signature of Governor Jan Brewer (R).

One trick I like to use when arguing about the morality of specific actions is to flip it. So, you can discriminate against me because your religion says you can? Well, what if my religion said that I can discriminate against you? You'd be fine with me telling you that I don't serve your kind, right? Freedom of speech and religion and all that.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Ohio and Kansas backed down, but Arizona hasn't. It passed its own "right to discriminate" legislation, which is now awaiting the signature of Governor Jan Brewer (R).

One trick I like to use when arguing about the morality of specific actions is to flip it. So, you can discriminate against me because your religion says you can? Well, what if my religion said that I can discriminate against you? You'd be fine with me telling you that I don't serve your kind, right? Freedom of speech and religion and all that.
Ugh. Hopefully this doesn't pass, but Jan Brewer isn't exactly the most welcoming governor in the world, with her passing that controversial anti-immigration law a couple years ago.

Drtooth

Reaction score

I love this brave new era of victimizers playing victim. The Fundies are oppressed because they can't oppress others and everyone but whites are racist. And then when you call them out on their bull, they're the biggest crybabies there ever was. I knew too many bullies like that, so you can see why I relate.

It's like that jerk from Duck Dynasty. The mere mention of a boycott (as orchestrated as heck as it was) and he was the victim of his own religious Dogma, racist baloney, and convenient Christian Conservatism (i.e. religious when it comes to hating gays, but Ayn Randy when it comes to the stuff Jesus actually said). He has more fans and his show has more ratings. All because he whined about how discriminatory those who he discriminated against were.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't care about the Duck Dynasty guy, but I don't think the show has more ratings purely because of what he said. A lot of people were just sick of words being used as a reason to fire people. Americans in general need to learn the art of just ignoring people once and awhile, lol.

I mean the last thing any Reality star wants is to be irrelevant. So yeah, that is how you get back at them. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't care about the Duck Dynasty guy, but I don't think the show has more ratings purely because of what he said. A lot of people were just sick of words being used as a reason to fire people. Americans in general need to learn the art of just ignoring people once and awhile, lol.
It was fixed, and they knew controversy would get people interested in the show.

Other than that, while what he said was crass, uninformed, and like the bitter drunk uncle that no body likes but they have to keep inviting, at least he wasn't duckish enough (heh, can't use the real word) to act on those to discriminate on grounds of being "discriminated" on. That's what this legislation is. Being allowed to not accept people on the flimsy excuse of religious freedom. I.e. the freedom to take away everyone else's freedom because you found an excuse to justify it.

Yet, I'm also seeing a disgusting rise in vocally horrible people literally crying about why people hate them, and calling them the monsters. Again, knew bullies like that. "Not at all racist" racists who say racist things crying because they're being called out as racists... arrogant, greedy CEO's that refuse to give anyone a minimum wage hike and then saying that the public's negative views and complaints are like Kristalnacht... Old gun nuts shooting people and claiming they were the ones who were assualted (by pop corn and passive aggressive comments) and homophobes that claim "Thuh Bah-Bool" as a rationalization for being homophobes claiming their religious freedom is being encroached upon because gay people exist. It's the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Aw, crud. My home state of Georgia has legislation of this kind in progress. I'm not surprised; we elect some prizewinning, bahble-thumpin' fools down here. But if this doesn't get thrown out so fast it bounces twice I will be thoroughly disgusted.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah the childish lamentation of those having to give up a tiny iota of power.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
HOW THE HECK AM I STILL GETTING COMMERCIALS ON VIDEOS WHEN I'VE GOT MULTIPLE AD-BLOCKERS INSTALLED AND ENABLED?!!