Which SS christmas special do you prefer?

SSLFan

Reaction score
I love both Sesame Street Christmas speacials(CEOSS & ESC). Well I love ESC because it's the one I saw as a child, and I love CEOSS because it is such a classic.

JLG

Reaction score
(Grover voice) Hey everybodeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Those of you who haven't seen "A Special Sesame Street Christmas", here it is! Unseen for almost 30 years, except for the apparantly very rich person who could afford a VCR in 1978 and taped it from CBS.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aCjCBc0G9AM

I personally didn't hate it as supremely as the person who uploaded it does, (read his comments for every chapter, LOL :big_grin: ) but I would say it was rather mediocre.

Somebody wondered why it couldn't be released on DVD. I don't remember who pointed this out, but they said that because of the sheer number of popular songs in it, coming from all directions and all kinds of various copyright holders, the music royalties issues would be so daunting to untangle that no one would want to even try.

"Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" is definitely my favorite, but after seeing "Elmo Saves Christmas" for the first time in almost a decade last year(unfortunatlely it's now taken down from YouTube), it was much better than I remembered it. I might even go so far as to say it was the last hurrah of what I call the "old" show.

I've never seen the "Elmo's World" one, but I can imagine what it's probably like. Which isn't to say it's horrible, but it just can't stand up to the all-ages friendly CEOSS.

ISNorden

Reaction score
"Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" is my favorite: it includes most of the then-current cast, a few Muppet/kid moments, and lots of songs that are still suitable for a thirtysomething-year-old fan like me. It also gives the cast real(ish) lives as people, not just as lesson-teaching mascots.

superboober

Reaction score
Definitely Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. It remains the one available bridge to the past. All the performances are great, and you get one of the ultimate Hensonian takes on the holidays in general.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I love Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. My mom made a tape of Christmas specials and cartoons from TV for my older sister when she was little, and CESS is the first one on there. We watched that tape, especially Sesame Street, every year (multiple times) at Christmastime. It's my link to the good, classic days of Sesame Street that were well before my time-- it's how I learned who David and Mr. Hooper were, for example. (And I have to say, it always struck me as weird to see Maria and David together in that special because I grew up with Maria and Luis as husband and wife. It just didn't seem right!)... But there are so many things I still love to this day about CESS. The sign language in "Keep Christmas With You" fascinated me. Grover talking to the kids was classic. I love those types of sketches! And I remember the opening part on the ice rink where Gordon is stumbling all over, and a little boy does a great spin and impresses David and Gordon. That was great! I also liked that Bob made a point to tell Mr. Hooper "Happy Hanukkah", yet Mr. Hooper didn't get mad or correct other people for wishing him a Merry Christmas.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I also liked that Bob made a point to tell Mr. Hooper "Happy Hanukkah", yet Mr. Hooper didn't get mad or correct other people for wishing him a Merry Christmas.
Very true, both of them respected each other's beliefs and even enjoyed it. That's the ideal to strive for. :smile: :smile:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Okay, there's a NEW x-mas special in the works. Please view my thread in the Sesame Street section!