Who knew getting a job would be this hard???

StarlitAngel

Reaction score
*sigh* I've been trying to get a part time job for EVER...and now i really really need one, and I can't get anyone to hire me...I have to go "job hunting" again tomorrow or else I have $300 of tuition that I can't cover...*sigh*

Sure, I don't have any previous employment, but I'm actually really smart(1320 SATs, 740 on verbal alone), I was in like...EVERY club in high school, an officer of most, and my schedule is WIDE OPEN. I'm willing to give up my m/w/f afternoons and every evening and all weekend, but still nothing, nada, ziparoonie. I'm even considering staying here for the summer b/c rite aid won't hire me if I don't...

anybody else ever have this hard of a time? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, what do they look for on the application that I don't have, other than previous employment???

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
a lot of people aren't really hiring right now because of how bad shape the economy is right now. but if i were you, i'd go ask if places are hiring, and if they say they are, ask them for how long...i've been to a few places to where they are expanding so there's a good bet i'll get a job..that's what i would do in your case.

ryan

StarlitAngel

Reaction score
thanks a lot, that's what i've been doing, but no where that i can walk to is hiring...that's why i'm going tomorrow, i'm going to start looking places that i'll have to depend on one of my roommates to drive me to, which is just a hassle on them, but it seems that at least for now, it can't be helped. :frown:

Bulldawg

Reaction score
search online.

if you can work anytime...the best place to try is a movie theatre.

it gets a lot of traffic on weekends sure but they always need dependable people to work closing shifts or matinee shifts when they cant keep high schoolers past 11pm or work them while they are in school.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by StarlitAngel
thanks a lot, that's what i've been doing, but no where that i can walk to is hiring...that's why i'm going tomorrow, i'm going to start looking places that i'll have to depend on one of my roommates to drive me to, which is just a hassle on them, but it seems that at least for now, it can't be helped. :frown:
Yeah, Im sans a car too. But I gave up on finding a job(for now) since I quit Pottery Barn. Gives me endless time to work on my hobbies and pursuits in life, heh.

Daylight

Reaction score
I know how you feel. I had to leave my first part time job in January because it wouldn't work with my class schedual. I've been trying to find another one ever since but I've had no luck and since I'm hoping to move out soon, I really need the money.

StarlitAngel

Reaction score
thanks for the movie theatre idea...i'll look into it :big_grin:

where can i look online considering that i live out here in the sticks? i've been looking for freelance writing jobs, unfortunately no one wants to hire an ''editor'' that's never edited anything and is only a freshmen in college, nevermind that they were editor of their high school paper for 6 years and has a 740 SAT verbal score :embarrassed:

thanks for the ideas everybody, and sorry to those of you in the same predicatment :frown:

Bulldawg

Reaction score
Originally posted by StarlitAngel
where can i look online considering that i live out here in the sticks?
check the newspapers in your areas. any major city ones should be online.
find their web address and view their classified sections.

the best job server ive found is
www.hotjobs.com

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Tell me abut it! I honestly feel scared and hopeless at this point.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah, this is a subject that has had me banging my head against walls for 8 years, 3 in college, 5 post college.... Finding work, in this day and age, is the HARDEST thing you can do. Best case scenario, you wind up with a job you could have gotten if dropped out of high school. And companies usually hire people that are someone's kid or relative in any way... or sometimes their old college drinking buddies that held their hair as they were puking during a kegger when the rest of us were studying. It is pretty touchy for me. I'm 5 years in to a 2 year plan, and I'm beyond hopeless and frustrated.

And now this happens, and a bunch of well off people pull their investments, causing companies to lose money and not hire anyone. I can't even say good luck.... you'd need to have superior luck to even get a janitor job anymore. But you have to keep trying, no matter how fruitless it is. Only thing you can do.