Who performed Sam in Treasure Island?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Steve is giving the same type of performance as Jim, which means he's right on track. Give him another ten years. :smile:
Yeah, we should get a new Muppet show about that time.

CousinLuke

Reaction score
For the record, I was only basing my last post on what others had said. I seem to remember one person saying that the new voice of Fozzie was different but the change from Jim to Steve's Kermit was more wierd. This was probably a reference to TMCJH, but I don't know how much he improved from that show to MCC. I just think that if there is another muppeteer who can perform the character better, they should. Especially if the new performer is going to be too busy with Sesame Street to do the few muppet specials there are.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Do you know what is really amazing?

That is how many times threads start about new voices AND manage to carry on sensible conversations in each. Mostly when about ten or more threads start over time on one subject people get a bit irritated, but it looks like this is a subject that can stick.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
To me, Kermit the Frog is Kermit the Frog. He'll always be Kermit the Frog, no matter how he sounds. So long as the character is still the same, he's still Kermit the Frog. Yes, there is something speical about Jim Henson's performance of Kermit, that I'll tell you right now. There's no avoiding that comment, Jim brought something special to each and every one of his performances. Kermit, Rowlf, even Mahna Mahna were something a little more than the rest. Jim will always be someone I look up to, and admire, but he's unfortunatlely gone now, and Steve Whitmire, in my opinion, does his very best to bring the best out of Kermit. He brings out a special quality in Kermit that I've rarely seen in his other characters. His other characters are all wonderful, of course, but you can tell that Kermit is as special to him as he is with all of us.

I just want to note, this is not a rant, just a statment.

Gee, how'd we get from Sam to Kermit?

WiGgY

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
Gee, how'd we get from Sam to Kermit?
On a muppet message board all things lead to Kermit. You can't avoid it.

Steve definatly does a different Kermit. From what I've seen, Steve does a good Kermit with a script. When adlibing he has to rely on himself. Since Kermit isn't his character originally the responses are going to be different. Also when he adlibs the voice changes. It doesn't sound as good. The same happened to Bill with Rowlf during the Weezer making of video.

To me, the voices are fine for all replacements, but the laughs and breathing on certain characters sounds weird. Kermit's laugh is just too different now, at least when Kermit gets to excited.

I think the best performace Steve ever did as Kermit was in MCC. That was a great job. It looked and sounded like Kermit to me. Unfortunatly the sad truth is that Jim Henson is no longer with us and so things can never be the same. The performers are getting older, 2 have died, 1 has left to do other things, ect. We just have to make the best of the situation. In MCC Kermit said something like "life is made up of comings and goings" or something like that. And of course the frog is right.

Beauregard

Reaction score
wIgGy said:
On a muppet message board all things lead to Kermit. You can't avoid it.
I thought all things led to Muffins, but never mind.