1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Who's new to collecting Action Figures?

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by CrockAlley, Aug 18, 2002.

1. GWGumby

GWGumby New Member

I've been collecting for a few years now, though as a casual collector, but my toy collection is quickly filling up an entire room at home and much of my cubicle at work. I'm mainly interested in figures and toys from movie and TV licenses that I really love. The Muppet's is my first foray into near-hardcore collecting. This is the first line where I'm actually making an attempt from the very beginning to collect as much as I can including keeping some extra Mint versions for posterity. Other than the Dr. Teeth repaint (and Kermit in a box if you count that) I've got the rest, and mean to continue with the line and get as much as I can.

I missed the beginning of the Simpsons line having no idea they would actually get around to making the cool characters that I really like. Nor did I know that by the time they did (starting with the Comic Book Guy) the first couple series would be long gone from shelves. That taught me a lesson about collecting which is, get in at the beginning or you'll be paying big money later on.

McFarlane's influence on raising the standard of Action Figures as well as tying them into unique cult licenses is what turned me on to action figures, something I never even cared about a few years back.

Being way too late in the game to start attempting to collect Star Wars figures, I recently started collecting Star Wars Legos instead. I'm not a completist, but I've got just about every ship from the Droid Escape Pod to the Millenium Falcon in Lego form. It's sad when you are excited to spend $100 just to get a Leia minifig.
  2. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

The ones off the top of my head, in roughly chronological order:

Original Star Wars
    Dukes of Hazzard
    Adventure People
    LEGO
    Super Powers
    Muppet PVCs
    Muppet Show Fisher Price Stick Puppets
    Sesame Street PVCs
    New Star Wars
    Fisher Price Little People (641 and counting...)
    JLA
    X-Files
    Batman Animated Series
    Superman Animated Series
    DC Direct
    Toy Story
    World of Springfield (Simpsons--but just the kids and weirdos)
    Palisades Muppet Show Line

...coming soon: Peanuts! I caved, all right? And I'm trying NOT to go for the new He-Man figures and Scooby-Doo....ugh.

Quinnnnnnn
  3. kansasteen14

kansasteen14 New Member

I have been collecting simpsons since Janurary and now collect muppets but thats it.
  4. Louis Kazagger

Louis Kazagger New Member

I guess that depends on your definition of "quality". If we're talking about sculpts, McFarlane definitely raised the bar in that regard, and all the other toy companies have tried to follow suit and match his company's attention to sculpting detail. But, his figures also have the highest breakage rate of any toys produced (the average kid can manage to bust something of a McToys figure in under two minutes without even trying). Of course that means nothing to the mint in package collector, but I can't tell you how many breakage horror stories I've heard over the years with McFarlane figures.
  5. grail

grail New Member

flyingmonkey - yeah, the Sideshow ones...overall, they're pretty groovy, but poor Ash...

Michael - yeah, due to problem after problem with the site, only two have run, and right now none of the pictures are working, but here are the links:

http://www.zentertainment.com/article.php?sid=4491
    http://www.zentertainment.com/article.php?sid=4104

i've also written ones for RiD Scourge, and the Playskool Star Wars X-Wing set, but they have yet to go up. i'm writing one for Ash and Evil Ash right now, and I just got a Castle Greyskull this morning that is next. now if only i could figure out what's going on with the site. Marcus has been incommunicado for days.
  6. Louis Kazagger

The good news for you may be that Playmates is considering rereleasing some of the harder to find Simpsons figures from the early waves next year.
  7. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Ya know what I just realized? My first foray into action figure collecting was with the "original" Muppet ones from Fisher Price back in the day. I was 4 at the time and my parents would buy them for me, one at a time (except for once when I was able to get two at the same time... boy was I psyched!) Sometimes (or maybe all the time, I can't remember) I would have to do a chore or something to make sure I got one on the next trip to the toy store (I'm sure that was a great bargaining chip for my parents!) Started the collection with Kermit and ended with Piggy ('cause she was a girl... eww! Plus she was kinda boring looking, being a finger puppet with no articulation. Although Kermit, Fozzie and Rowlf only had 1 point of articulation!) Isn't it neat how things come full circle sometimes?!

I've been collecting Transformers since they first came out. Really into the PVCs and re-issues right now (including the keychains - I finally have a Cliffjumper!) Haven't been able to bring myself to pick up an Armada figure yet though...

Also collect Batman: Animated and dabble in LOTR (got most of the Fellowship, need a Cave Troll, and can't wait for Gollum and the Ents to come out. Other than that, I don't know which other ones I'll pick up). I'lll pick up a Star Wars or McFarlane fig here and there. Use to collect Simpsons, but lost interest when I heard Muppets were coming out.

- R -
  8. Slim

Slim New Member

I basically collect Palisades toys (gee...who would have thought?)...and then a few choice others. I really wasn't into toys that much until I started working here. I mean...yeah, when I was a kid I was a huge TMNT fan, and I had the He-man and G.I. Joe's too...but I never really kept them. I had plenty (I think I still do somewhere), but I just played with them until they were worthless. So, I wouldn't consider that collecting.

Other then Palisades stuff...I collect those little 1 to 2 inch plastic "Homies" figurines. I love those things! They are starting to take over my desk here at work. Other then the homies...I really like the "Hoodz" figures from Mezco. That's about all I would say I collect. I have plenty figures on my desk here at work...but most are hand-me-downs from Ken. I get what no one else wants anymore...

:D
  9. Luke

Luke Active Member

Over the years i've collected He-Man, Action Man, M.A.S.K, Centurions, Simpsons, and mostly Transformers. I'm just starting a Muppet collection, and i also have some original MEGO Batman figures and vehicles.
  10. GWGumby

GWGumby New Member

Yes, I'm pretty happy about that. Plus they're starting to do more variants of earlier figures other than Homer and Bart. The Sunday Best Lisa is so much better than the original Lisa, even if she's in a non-regular outfit.

I've got to hand it to Palisades that it's pretty brilliant marketing on their part to start putting major figures out as variants first rather than as their normal selves. If I had all the original Simpson characters, I would be much less interested in getting the variants. Plus with the potential reissue of the first few series, I will more likely not get a "Scout-master Flanders", etc. If the variants had come out first, I would probably have got the variant to tide me over until the regular one came out, or at least continue to watch the line waiting for the regular to be released.
  11. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

Hey Slim--this girl at my work has her desk COVERED with Homies--interesting all of the design work and details they cram into a little 1-inch tall figure that you get out of a gumball machine--if she wasn't collecting them, I wouldn't have even realized it was an ongoing series with variations and stuff--pretty cool.

Luke--my FIRST action figures ever were the Mego Batman and Robin (and I think the Riddler)...and I had completely forgotten about them until you mentioned that. True classics.

Quinnnnn
  12. MM-III

MM-III New Member

Slightly off topic but I was wondering if anyone knew which stores were going to get the peanuts figures or if you know a good source online for them.

I've been having a heck of a time finding places that have them.
  13. Michael Crawford

Michael Crawford New Member

14. Shooter Johnson

Shooter Johnson New Member

I started collecting in '91 with the X-Men. I collected them all mint on card and stopped buying them around '98.

I got heavy into Star Wars right when the orange cards came out ('95ish). I went back and bought pretty much every original figure loose (a few outstanding, but I quit looking for a deal). I still collect every 3 -3/4 inch SW figure on the card and an extra to open of the ones I particularly like. Sometimes I think I'm still into Star Wars out of habit.

I started the Simpsons from the beginning and have them all (the exclusives I have doubles, but the rest I open).

Muppets are my new obsession.

I also like to pick up anything that looks cool or novel.
  15. wong

wong New Member

-superhero stuff (love the marvel legends although they are very hard to find in my part of Canada, only managed to pick up hulk and iron man)
    -transformers
    -Simpsons
    -Palisades Muppets
    -anything I think that looks good
    -anything that brings back childhood memories

with my spending habits the most important word for me is BUDGET since we all have to eat sometime (and platic doesn't taste so good)
  16. Louis Kazagger

Woo Hoo! A fellow Canuck! ;)
  17. wong

wong New Member

The Canucks are my favourite hockey team :D
  18. Emmy1500

Emmy1500 New Member

Another canuck here too!!

I currently collect:

Mcfarlane sportspicks figures
    Star wars figures and vehicles(other than the stupid USA Exclusives)
    Muppets(just the regular figures and playsets as it is too hard and too expensive to try and get all of the show exclusives and USA store exclusives)
    Scooby Doo figures
    Spiderman Classics
    Marvel Legends

Want to collect but not sure if I can afford too:

Battle of the planets 6" figures
    Peanuts

I still have a lot of the vintage star wars figures and vehicles I had when I was younger, like the AT-AT, AT-ST, Slave 1, Y-Wing etc.

They are in various conditions, mostly well played with.

My favorite part of my collection is the toyfair vader that I won from the sandcrawler workshop. It was so cool to win something that is so limited, plus I think it looks really cool. The retro packaging brings back a lot of memories.

Well I guess thats it.

I also post on spawn.com's message board in the sports forum and on snowtroopers.ca( The best site for Canadian SW collectors)

TTYL

Cory
  19. Dork Diggler

Dork Diggler New Member

I'm the other way around. I have been collecting toys for years and have never been into the muppets. In fact I dont think I have
    ever even seen the show and only know some of the characters from the muppet babies cartoon, but now Im hooked. They are my favorite line of toys from all the ones I collect and now I want to see all the shows and learn all about the muppets.
  20. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Great story Dork Diggler! Glad you found us.