Why Did I Ever Watch This?

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Here's a question for you...
Have you ever had one of those moments where you watch a TV show or movie you used to watch when you were a kid and as you watch it as an adult, you think, "Wow, why did I ever watch this?" when you look back and realize it's not that good? I sure have, but I can't think of any of the top of my head.

Tell me what you think.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I'm sure others do, but interestingly enough, i can't think of any tv or movies that fit that pattern. I have of course seen things as an adult i loved as a kid and found it didn't live up to the memories or hold up as well, but i could totally remember why i loved it back then.

Now music on the other hand...there are some things i listened to as a kid that i can't believe i got into!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind with me is She-Ra. I think Thundercats ages better than that show. Never try to relive too much of the past. Ya had to be there, LOL.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I had that kind of reaction when I re-watched an episode of Cousin Skeeter not long ago. It came off very corny.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind with me is She-Ra. I think Thundercats ages better than that show. Never try to relive too much of the past. Ya had to be there, LOL.
I won't lie... I caught four episodes of She-Ra because I got the Best of (really cheap) for my sister for Christmas as a gag gift... and I'm gonna say this. With all the girly fluff cartoons in the 80's like Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony, and Strawberry Shortcake, I think it was WONDERFUL to have a female character that actually kicked butt. There's nothing more that I hate (and I'm a guy) than cartoons that force girls into gender stereotypes of sitting pretty and looking cute. Only thing else I think can come close is maybe Jem.

But just like He-Man, there's so much cheesiness inheret in the system. I still laugh at the He-man line I saw several months ago "Uh oh! That wall looks HUNGRY!"

As for stuff I actually despise the fact that I watched... well, aforementioned girls shows... I watched those when I was really young because of all the bright shiny colors. Those stupid Care Bears and all that... yuck. And many times I've said this, I still like Mr. Beastly because John Stocker is awesome!

That and Captain Planet. Way to make anyone who doesn't want to live waste deep in filth look like a looney, man. I'd rather go with the Toxic Crusaders.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I hear this from a lot of folks, but I don't think I've ever had this problem. With me, it's been more like the TV shows and movies and cartoons and music and books I liked as a child, I still like now. I've gone back and watched cartoons like "The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin" and "Turbo Teen" and "Kidd Video" and "Lazer Tag Academy" and various others- and still love watching them. (Of course, I watch a lot of reruns for my TV viewing nowadays.)
But one from childhood especially I still like- man, Sesame Street is great! I mean, I know especially on this forum, we probably wouldn't have too many who would admit to it, but I still love to watch Sesame Street!:wink::stick_out_tongue::big_grin: That's one show that I don't think I ever really grew out of or quit liking or watching. (I just don't have as much time to really watch it now sadly.)
So yeah- it's all good.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I can't think of anything like that personally, but I have to wonder why on earth was a friend of mine such a big fan of... get this... (Jon and) Kate Plus Eight? :eek:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Wellll....I used to really like Xmen Evolution, but now I can barely watch it, it's embarrassing, lol.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I remember really liking the movie Quest for Camelot as a kid. I watch it in my head all the time and until last year when I saw it for real again I really liked it. But my reaction was more akin to dwmckim's in that I understood why I liked it as a kid but it didn't live up to the memories I had of it. It's funny because once I was expecting that to be my reaction to "Pooh's Grand Adventure" and I still love that movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Wellll....I used to really like Xmen Evolution, but now I can barely watch it, it's embarrassing, lol.
I think it holds up better than the embarrassing movies. They do the same things the movie wanted to do, but in a way that didn't... well... suck. I was by far not impressed with either of the first 2 films, heard terrible things about the third one, heard horrible things about the Wolverine Spinoff, and I have zero confidence in First Class. Sigh... I wish Disney pulled the license away from Fox and did something GOOD with them.

Wolverine and the X-Men, however? I suggest checking that out. I only saw a couple, but they seemed solid. The original 90's series was good up to a point where they just kept repeating themselves and every character had one Mental breakdown an episode. That's when I stopped watching. And I LOVED that series. Only thing I respect about the 90's Spiderman series was that they flew the Canadian X-men voice cast over for the crossover episode. It's alright I guess now, but Spectacular blew it away.