Why did they cancel Muppets Tonight so quickly?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by WiGgY
I'm kind of dissappointed that they went back in time instead of forward. I guess there is only so much you can do with a story when you keep going forward in time. I've adjusted to "Enterprise" and not having shields or widely used transporters. I would like to see a Voyager movie though. That was a great cast and I think a movie would be cool.
according to rick berman and company, they wanted to do something fresh and exciting..the pre-startrek concept beat the lets go into the future and see what star trek is like in the 25th or 26th century concept and even the era of time where ds9, tng, and voyager were in...

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
back to ds9, did anyone feel that obrien should have been promoted?....i personally got tired of him saying sir to just about everyone around him cause they were all higher in rank but much younger and less knowledgeable than he was...

ryan

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
this thread has turned from the most underused muppet to the star trek thread...haha

ryan

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I know. LOL! I love the Muppets, but am rather Star Trekked out. I keep coming back when there's notification of a new post, but there's no longer anything of Muppet interest here. Might be better to create a different thread for the topic in the General Discussion section. More Trek fans will be aware of it there - could open up more dialogue for you guys. As it is, I kind of feel like unsubscribing to the thread. But many of these threads get off topic, so it's nothing new.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
UPN is nationally playing Star Trek Enterprise. I doublt the New York affiliates have dropped the program.
Ooooops! Hehe! I meant Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Hehe!

DS9 was the best show, and they do show Enterprise. They show TNG, and (ugh) Voyager.

Er, isn't that funny how this turned totally sideways? I mean, from Muppets to Star Trek. I get the feeling that was my doing.

Hehe!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
me 2, i keep on asking all of these ds9 questions...hehe...maybe we should but this in the general discussion

ryan

Movies205

Reaction score
Frogboy you should change the name of this topic and move it to general discussion?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I don't know why, But I never quite got into Star Trek.. I mean, I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not my cup of mud! I did watch a lot of tng when I was 9, though...

Gettting back on topic, here's my problems with MT

1) Bay of Pigswatch and Pigs in Space TNG.. I mean, why create such dull characters as Spamala Lee and David Hasslehog? I mean Steve could have played Link Hogthrob on both... they just didn't have the chemestry of Link, Piggy, and Dr. Strangepork.

2) Frank's tendancy to come and go, since he is a director, means that his top characters were only available if (a another performer did them (B if he prerecorded, or (c they had small bits here and there.

3) Certain Characters were continued, some were not (Scooter, Janice, Dr. Teeth, and Rowlf were all reduced to B.G. characters.

4) Statler and Waldorf weren't at the theater... something about that didn't sit well with me.

5) darting timeslot. It was on fridays, but they decided to put on more episodes of the Unfunny "Boy meets world" show, and when they finally dropped it on Sundays, it was another hour of America's Funniest videos.. or as I'd like to call it, the TV show that wouldn't die....

But I must say, the best characters are becoming perminant fixtures in the Muppet Canon (not the one Gonzo likes to shoot himself out of, by the way)

Bobo: He was the best thing about MFS.... Jeffory Tambor had too much of the movie to himself, without Bobo, it wouldn't have been much good.

Pepe: He has such a cult following ahead of him.

Johhny and Sal: What can I say? Who else likes the idea of a Sinatra-esque singer with a goofy little Monkey side kick..

camilla

Reaction score
I;m thinkng back to Muppeta Tonight I've got a wh9le load of them on tape somewhere.

I think i found alot o the sketches annoying. including Clueless and Polly, Pepe and Seymour, the elvises, Dr Van Neuter etc. Not enough old muppets for my liking.
Did like Sal and Bobo and i id not mind Andy and Randy. They could be funny. Clifford was ok but prefer Kermit. I might watch them again soon

Camilla