Why is Sesame Street slowly dying?

Censored

Reaction score
Sesame Street isn't just dying; it's being murdered.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think he means that it's being murdered because the changes they made based on the popularity of other educational programs for the kids.

Keep in mind, ya'll, that the demographic for this show isn't the same as, say, The Muppet Show. The Muppet Show has hidden inuendoes and is aimed at adult and family audiences. Sesame Street originally was intended for kids to teach them, but had some grown-up entertainment to keep the parents involved with the kids.

Not that all parents are like this, but nowadays the involvement parents have with kids aren't nearly as close as it used to be: both parents HAVE to work to make it, kids are left with older siblings or cousins to babysit them, or put into obviously non-qualified day cares or preschools who don't teach the kids.

Now, SS has (in my opinion) dumbed the show down to be more on a level with other popular programs and so their format has changed. Elmo appeals to the 2 and 3 year old kids, so Elmo's world is a necessity. They have now got, instead of the commercial feel they used to have a few years ago, segments of the show which are dedicated to particular topics.

What WE'RE used to is the quick skits, the humor we were raised with, stuff that the whole family can sit and watch. In today's time, kids are left alone to watch tv and make of it what they can while parents are working, cleaning house and doing chores, or whatever they MUST do.

I don't think the decrease in episodes or an increase in cast will make a difference, what will make a difference is society, and when we begin to behave with our kids (I don't have kids, btw) the way we used to (when my mom would sit and watch TV with me, or my nanny) and/or society ALLOWS us to, then we might see a change in the way the show is produced.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear is right, things have changed alot since we were kids and we can't expect Sesame to meet only the needs of the adult fans. We need to remember that the show is geared toward children to help them learn and understand with quality TV that isn't too dumbed down. Sure I would like to see some of the old sketches and I think some of those thrown in here and there would be great, but not the entire episode.

I think they need to take out Journey to Ernie, keep Elmo's World (even though it can be annoying), and bring in a few more famous people, and not have the episodes in some sort of set order. But then again, repetivness is good for many children. A bigger budget for Sesame would be nice too.

christyb

Reaction score
That's true. Although Sesame Street is ok. I really haven't watched any episodes since my youngest sibling was little. (She's 10 now so it's been a while). Everynow and then I'll catch a few minutes but it really doesn't hold my intrest. But repeating things does get old. SS needs to spice it up a little. I don't know how. But they just do.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I think he means that it's being murdered because the changes they made based on the popularity of other educational programs for the kids.

Keep in mind, ya'll, that the demographic for this show isn't the same as, say, The Muppet Show. The Muppet Show has hidden inuendoes and is aimed at adult and family audiences. Sesame Street originally was intended for kids to teach them, but had some grown-up entertainment to keep the parents involved with the kids.

Not that all parents are like this, but nowadays the involvement parents have with kids aren't nearly as close as it used to be: both parents HAVE to work to make it, kids are left with older siblings or cousins to babysit them, or put into obviously non-qualified day cares or preschools who don't teach the kids.

Now, SS has (in my opinion) dumbed the show down to be more on a level with other popular programs and so their format has changed. Elmo appeals to the 2 and 3 year old kids, so Elmo's world is a necessity. They have now got, instead of the commercial feel they used to have a few years ago, segments of the show which are dedicated to particular topics.

What WE'RE used to is the quick skits, the humor we were raised with, stuff that the whole family can sit and watch. In today's time, kids are left alone to watch tv and make of it what they can while parents are working, cleaning house and doing chores, or whatever they MUST do.

I don't think the decrease in episodes or an increase in cast will make a difference, what will make a difference is society, and when we begin to behave with our kids (I don't have kids, btw) the way we used to (when my mom would sit and watch TV with me, or my nanny) and/or society ALLOWS us to, then we might see a change in the way the show is produced.
i don't see what parents watching with there kids have anything to do with it. i always watched SS and other shows by mtself. and even around the time SS began both parents working was becomming more common.

Censored

Reaction score
A huge misconception is that the needs of nostalgic adults and the needs of children today are somehow in opposition. There's nothing in the old skits that would hurt children today. The only reason adults are nostalgic about them is because they made them happy as children, as they would do for the children of today. Let's face it; very few people have the same enthusiasm for Sesame Street today as they did back in its prime. Even the producers at Sesame Workshop are just measuring out a handful of episodes now to keep it running on fumes.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Months later and GeeBee is still singing the same old song and dance. Gee, what a surprise. :rolleyes:

A huge misconception is that the needs of nostalgic adults and the needs of children today are somehow in opposition. There's nothing in the old skits that would hurt children today.
Yes, GeeBee. You've only told us this how many thousand times in the past? I've said it before and I'll say it again -- this is YOUR opinion. The fact that you believe it so strongly doesn't make it true, much as you might like it to.

Let's face it; very few people have the same enthusiasm for Sesame Street today as they did back in its prime.
Again, this is strictly your opinion, not fact. I'll bet the people who see the sheer amount of work, research and testing that SW invests into making each and every episode educational and entertaining at the same time, would beg to differ. So would the parents of young kids who the show is aimed at.

I like classic SS just as much as you, but I've accepted reality and don't devote so much energy into hating current SS that you seem to. I feel my energy is better channeled into other things.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
They need to bring back the old format maybe with sketches like...Kermit's News Flashes (if they get permission from Henson productions.)
Henson no longer owns Kermit, Disney does. It's unlikely we'll ever see Kermit on SS again, unfortunately. :cry: