Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

stgebaby

Reaction score
wonka

i heard a rumor that they were gonna remake it. but i just don't think you could without gene wilder.

Luke

Reaction score
They could make the sequel - the Elevator one !

(Reminds self to send Oompa Loompa round to Jamies house next birthday ! *evil smirk*)

Kye

Reaction score
Originally posted by byl
That movie knocked me over. I was NOT a kid (born in 51), but it made a lasting impression. Whenever I watched any acter that took part in that movie in another role, my impression of the new character was colored by the memory of their part in Wonka. I have watched it often enough now that I spend more time watching my wife and kids react rather than watching the movie itself. The effects and technology are dated (and were not state-of-the-art when it was new) but the messages, humor, intelligence, and immagination are timeless. It will never be my favorite movie, but my video library will never be without it. It is early on my required viewing list.
Great post. I have never heard someone older then me talk about it so fondly! and welcome to Muppet Central!

Kye

Reaction score
Re: wonka

Originally posted by stgebaby
i heard a rumor that they were gonna remake it. but i just don't think you could without gene wilder.
I have heard many rumors too, but none have any fact to back it up yet. Most rumors were started because Marilyn Manson was going around telling people that he would be playing willie in the remake! WB put out a press release saying that they have never approch him, nor would they approch him about any remake

wolfy

Reaction score
Okay, stickler for details a bit here...Let's get those Oompa-Loompa songs right...(just imagine all the weird letters and words flashing in front of your eye-screens, okay?)
========================
(For Augustus)

Oompa Loompa, doompadee doo
We have a perfect puzzle for you
Oompa Loompa, doompadee dee
If you are wise you will listen me

What do you get when you guzzle down sweets?
Eating as much as an elephant eats?
What are you at getting terribly fat?
What do you think will come of that?
I don't like the look of it

Oompa Loompa, doompadee dah
If you're not greedy you will go far
You will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa Loompa doompadee do
Doompadee do
====================
(For Violet)

Oompa Loompa doompadee doo
I've got another puzzle for you
(ew ew ew ew)
Oompa Loompa doompadah dee
If you are wise you will listen to me

Gum chewing's fine when it's once in a while
It stops you from smoking and brightens your smile
But it's repulsive, revolting, and wrong
Chewing and chewing all day long
The way that a cow does

Oompa Loompa doompadee dah
Given good manners you will go far
=====================
(For Veruca)

If you are wise you will listen to me

Who do you blame when your kid is a brat
Pampered and spoiled like a Siamese cat?
Blaming the kids is a lion of shame
You know exactly who's to blame:
The mother and the father!

Oompa Loompa doompadee dah
If you're not spoiled then you will go far
==================
(For Mike Tee-Vee)

If you are wise you'll listen to me

What do you get from a glut of TV?
A pain in the neck and an IQ of three
Why don't you try simply reading a book?
Or could you just not bear to look?

You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no
You'll get no commercials

Oompa Loompa Doompadee Dah
If you're not greedy you will go far
Like the Oompa
Oompa Loompa doompadee do
=================
For this and the rest of the words to variuos Willie Wonka songs, check out the following site: http://libretto.musicals.ru/text.php?textid=371&language=1

For those who wish to just play games or to have fun with Willie Wonka, check out this site: www.wonka.com

My personal favorite song? I don't know why it is, but it's Veruca's song that she sings when she's about to make a bad egg of herself..."I Want It Now." Always did like that song, although for the life of me, I really don't know why...Maybe it's the "nooooooooooooow" bit at the end as she goes down the chute?
wolfy

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
That is such a GREAT movie!!!!!!! Last year it kept my friends and me alive through junior year (we latch on to different movies and quote them throughout the year). I dressed up as Willie Wonka for spirit week this year, and I did the teeter/summer-salt entrance thing when I walked into class.

Yes, I heard they were going to remake it too, and guess who WAS going to play the lead -- Marylin Manson:embarrassed: :frown: :eek: I heard that they quickly cut him from the production when word of it got out. Since then I haven't heard anything else about it. There's no way they could beat Gene Wilder... although I could picture Robin Williams doing a good job...

It's funny how funerals came up in this conversation -- I was going to say I want the "Imagination" song played at mine.

Gosh, I don't want to end this post on a depressing note like that... so... "You stole fizzy-lifting drinks, you bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterolyzed, therefore you win nothing! You lose! Good day, Sir!" I love that part! :smile:

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If they remade it, I'd actually prefer they went a wildly different rout. Robin Williams doesn't jaz me as much as Manson to be honest. I'm not saying that I think he should do the role, but I find that sort of departure to be fresh and interesting.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
The oompa loompas gave me nightmares! :eek:
I once saw an Oompa Loompa dancing in a club. He was also shirtless and oiled up. Guess that was the Oompa Loompa that was cut from the film.

Now that gives me nightmares!

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarylarrywolf
Yes, I heard they were going to remake it too, and guess who WAS going to play the lead -- Marylin Manson:embarrassed: :frown: :eek: I heard that they quickly cut him from the production when word of it got out. Since then I haven't heard anything else about it. There's no way they could beat Gene Wilder... although I could picture Robin Williams doing a good job...
Actually that was all just a rumor started by Manson. They haven't planned on remaking the movie, and he started the rumor himself.

I must admit it would make for an interesting remake. But I think it will always be Gene Wilder for me.