1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Words You Overuse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hubert, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

That's a funny thing, like, for example, I use guys regardless of what gender I'm referring to, and no one really seems to have a problem with it. Some places throughout the US, though, that really seems to bug them. But for the most part, I don't think people mind if you use "guys" to refer to either gender.
  2. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I'm from Philly, so "You guys" is like one of my (and there I go with "like") most said phrases. Its sort of second nature for someone from philly to say "you guys" when talking to more than one person :p
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I understand people up in New York used "Y'know" a lot almost as much as stereotypical Canadians end their sentences with, "Eh?".

And you know what I just recently learned? Apparently "bling" is supposed to be out-dated and uncool now.
  4. Sgt Floyd

When was "bling" ever cool? :p Seriously, thats one of those words that drives me up the wall when people use it. I'm glad you don't hear it anymore.
  5. D'Snowth

Actually, now that I think of it, I've noticed that a lot of today's internet lingo has actually seeped into my real-life vocabulary, such as "Epic", "Fail", "For the win", among others.
  6. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I don't like when I hear internet lingo in everyday conversation, because it seems really cliche and overplayed to me. Like my dad has recently found it hilarious to make Chuck Norris jokes, which just lead to me and my sister cringing and walking out of the room.
  7. Sgt Floyd

The only thing I started saying is "fail"

it sounds nicer than "You suck" XD
  8. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

It's one of my biggest annoyances when some uses "epic" or "fail". It drives me nuts.

And speaking of "Y'know," I've noticed that I'm constantly using that on this forum, where as I barely, if ever use it in real life.
  9. Sgt Floyd

Maybe I should start saying "Failure" the same way the announcer in Brawl does :p
  10. meepmuppaphones

meepmuppaphones Active Member

I absolutely HATE IT when people talk all modern-ish (ex. dude, pwn, yay-uh, I'm not feeling it, that's just sad, that's sad, totally ___, etc.), not to mention I hate swearing, too. I'm the only person my age who doesn't swear.:)
    I find it pretty depressing no one pays attention to the fundamentals of proper speech.
    Not to mention I don't understand this newfangled "cool" talk (I sound like an old man).

I tend to use "rather"and "quite", and I rarely say "hi"... Instead, I tend to say "hello".
    I just noticed. I tend to say "tend" quite a lot.
    I also have a habit of talking annoyingly smart and formal, often using so-called "big words". I also tend to say "yah", rather than "yeah".

I love to say random things completely unrelated, so I guess this counts? (e.g, cheese, troll, quack, blah, cluck, etc.):insatiable:
  11. meepmuppaphones

Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
  12. Sgt Floyd

13. meepmuppaphones

Maybe you should practice that announcer voice and annoy Hubert by saying "FAIL".:D
  14. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

"Swag" seems to be its replacement, unfortunately. :sigh:
  15. meepmuppaphones

What the heck is a "swag"?!:confused::mad:
  16. charlietheowl

"Swag" loosely means that someone or something is cool or is something that you approve of. For example, the chicken strips I made for lunch the other day had "swag" because they tasted so good.
  17. Sgt Floyd

O_0

Really? I thought it was meant to refer to people with *cough* questionable *cough* rap inspired attitude...

well, that just shows you how much I know modern slang :p
  18. D'Snowth

I thought "swag" refered to someone who was stylish.
  19. charlietheowl

I think it can mean that too, but the meaning has definitely broadened. It's reached the point where the word can basically mean whatever the user wants it to mean (which probably means that the word has no meaning in the end).
  20. Sgt Floyd

I've never heard it used to refer to people who didn't have some kind of rap inspired fashion style so....