Worst TMS guest stars

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I was just thinking about it, so I figured I'd start a thread. Here are my picks:

Bruce Forsyth: I've been planning to write an article about him and his episode for Tough Pigs, but my main points are: he's goofy, grating, insincere, a show-off and a phony

Marisa Berenson: not an insult to Ms. Berenson per se, but her appearance on the show left a lot to be desired. What exactly was her first number supposed to be showcasing? And in regard to her song, is that really how she sings? No closing number, either. Still, she was good in "Cabaret" and IMO one of the most beautiful women in the world. Nothing to sneeze at, that.

Sylvester Stallone: I don't really need to explain this, do I? Suffice it to say, his appearance on the show was more of a novelty than a display of his versatility as a performer.

Shields & Yarnell: first number- excellent; second number- unimpressive; closing number- is it over yet?

Arlo Guthrie: nothing against his musical numbers; they were all fine, and his closing number was lovely, I thought it was a great rendition of a beautiful song. But overall, he seemed kind of awkward, like he didn't belong or didn't really know why he was there. There's a nice moment at the end with Miss Piggy, and it's one of the only times in the show where it seems like he's actually there; the rest of the show he seems like he's distracted by something.

Anne Murray: her singing was great; her acting was not

Jonathan Winters: not very funny, seemed to not enjoy being there; no closing number.

Mark Hamill: Oy. The 'cousins' bit got old fast. Hamill was probably the only guest star who was least believable as himself.

Joan Baez: her songs were good, but the problem with her guest appearance was the same as it was with the episode itself: both were TOO PREACHY

Brooke Shields: her limitations as a performer were on full display. She's improved somewhat over the years, and as she demonstrated at the live Muppet Show, she can sing. Still, when I first saw her numbers on TMS as a lad I fell in love with her, so my cynicism can only go so far.

Senor Wences: I dunno, I was bored with his bits on the show. He was a more skilled ventriloquist than Edgar Bergen but not as funny.

Wally Boag: more corny and annoying than funny

Debbie Harry: same as Anne Murray; singing was good, acting was most certainly not; 2nd to Mark Hamill for not being believable as herself

Side mentions:

Valerie Harper: clearly enthusiastic, loved being there, loved the Muppets; couldn't sing or dance, a big minus; good impersonations, though

Zero Mostel: underused; sometimes he seemed to be doing his own thing rather than playing off of his co-stars; acting 'at' instead of 'with'; they should've given him more to do and given him a scene with one of the core Muppets: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, or Gonzo

Judy Collins: non-interactive; like Mostel, she should've had a scene with Kermit or Fozzie or other regular characters, maybe a dressing room scene would've done the trick

What are yours?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

LadyHyde

Reaction score
I'm actually wondering why Sly is in "Spy Kids 3".:confused:

Anyway, in the case of "Muppets Tonight", the one with Arsenio and Johnny Cochran wasn't very good.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well, as alone as I probably am in this feeling, I think that Elton John's episode wasn't great.

Don't get me wrong; I'm actually a fan of Elton John. Its just that they focused on his music so much during the episode that I don't think the Muppets got enough time. It felt more like "The Elton John Show, with special guest stars, the Muppets!". That just didn't sit well with me.

-Matt

Ryan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gorgon Heap

Senor Wences: I dunno, I was bored with his bits on the show. He was a more skilled ventriloquist than Edgar Bergen but not as funny.

Wha?? He is one of the greatest puppeteers of all time, in humor and performance!

Originally posted by Gorgon Heap

Valerie Harper: clearly enthusiastic, loved being there, loved the Muppets; couldn't sing or dance, a big minus; good impersonations, though
Sorry, Gotta disagree again. I think she sang very well. In the "opening" number, Broadway Baby, I thought she was great. It's a unique voice, and I liked it. In fact, I've been looking for an MP3 of it for a while, :big_grin:

All of the others I totally agree with you.

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
I'm so glad that SOMEONE has finally stepped up and said that the Mark Hamill episode stinks!

I must admit that I actually wanted to punch him in the face when he was doing the bit with Kermit and Fozzie backstage...and those weird little movements he made onstange with Angus...stick to Star Wars, Mr. Skywalker! :halo:

I have to say that I really did enjoy the Debby Harry episode...well, at least parts of it. I like the duet she does with Kermit. Otherwise, not a big fan of her music. The opening number was cute too.

Jim

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Link Hogthrob
I'm so glad that SOMEONE has finally stepped up and said that the Mark Hamill episode stinks!

I must admit that I actually wanted to punch him in the face when he was doing the bit with Kermit and Fozzie backstage...and those weird little movements he made onstange with Angus...stick to Star Wars, Mr. Skywalker!
Am I the only one that liked it. I mean, Mark seemed to have fun.. a lot of fun.. too much fun..

I didn't like Raquel Welsh at all... she was just their to show off her...self...

The episode was good, the guest was not.

Link Hogthrob

Reaction score
Am I the only one that liked it. I mean, Mark seemed to have fun.. a lot of fun.. too much fun..
Yeah, see...I think that was my whole problem with it. I think he was "letting the force be with him" to an insane degree! :wink:

I personally LOVED the Raqel Welch episode! I think her duet with Fozzie was great!

Jim

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I have to agree with the goood Doctor the Mark Hamill episode is one of my favorites, yo gottaa live the "he's my cousin" bit. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Link Hogthrob

I personally LOVED the Raqel Welch episode! I think her duet with Fozzie was great!

Jim
Other than that, she was pretty much just a sex symbol in that episode.

I only have that tape, so basically, I can opnly remember those 3 episodes...

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
I LOVED the Johnathan Winter Eps! and the Senor Wences and Wally Boag!

Sly's singing will haunt me for ages.