1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Worst TMS guest stars

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Gorgon Heap, May 6, 2003.

1. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

I was just thinking about it, so I figured I'd start a thread. Here are my picks:

Bruce Forsyth: I've been planning to write an article about him and his episode for Tough Pigs, but my main points are: he's goofy, grating, insincere, a show-off and a phony

Marisa Berenson: not an insult to Ms. Berenson per se, but her appearance on the show left a lot to be desired. What exactly was her first number supposed to be showcasing? And in regard to her song, is that really how she sings? No closing number, either. Still, she was good in "Cabaret" and IMO one of the most beautiful women in the world. Nothing to sneeze at, that.

Sylvester Stallone: I don't really need to explain this, do I? Suffice it to say, his appearance on the show was more of a novelty than a display of his versatility as a performer.

Shields & Yarnell: first number- excellent; second number- unimpressive; closing number- is it over yet?

Arlo Guthrie: nothing against his musical numbers; they were all fine, and his closing number was lovely, I thought it was a great rendition of a beautiful song. But overall, he seemed kind of awkward, like he didn't belong or didn't really know why he was there. There's a nice moment at the end with Miss Piggy, and it's one of the only times in the show where it seems like he's actually there; the rest of the show he seems like he's distracted by something.

Anne Murray: her singing was great; her acting was not

Jonathan Winters: not very funny, seemed to not enjoy being there; no closing number.

Mark Hamill: Oy. The 'cousins' bit got old fast. Hamill was probably the only guest star who was least believable as himself.

Joan Baez: her songs were good, but the problem with her guest appearance was the same as it was with the episode itself: both were TOO PREACHY

Brooke Shields: her limitations as a performer were on full display. She's improved somewhat over the years, and as she demonstrated at the live Muppet Show, she can sing. Still, when I first saw her numbers on TMS as a lad I fell in love with her, so my cynicism can only go so far.

Senor Wences: I dunno, I was bored with his bits on the show. He was a more skilled ventriloquist than Edgar Bergen but not as funny.

Wally Boag: more corny and annoying than funny

Debbie Harry: same as Anne Murray; singing was good, acting was most certainly not; 2nd to Mark Hamill for not being believable as herself

Side mentions:

Valerie Harper: clearly enthusiastic, loved being there, loved the Muppets; couldn't sing or dance, a big minus; good impersonations, though

Zero Mostel: underused; sometimes he seemed to be doing his own thing rather than playing off of his co-stars; acting 'at' instead of 'with'; they should've given him more to do and given him a scene with one of the core Muppets: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, or Gonzo

Judy Collins: non-interactive; like Mostel, she should've had a scene with Kermit or Fozzie or other regular characters, maybe a dressing room scene would've done the trick

What are yours?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  2. LadyHyde

LadyHyde New Member

I'm actually wondering why Sly is in "Spy Kids 3".:confused:

Anyway, in the case of "Muppets Tonight", the one with Arsenio and Johnny Cochran wasn't very good.
  3. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock New Member

Well, as alone as I probably am in this feeling, I think that Elton John's episode wasn't great.

Don't get me wrong; I'm actually a fan of Elton John. Its just that they focused on his music so much during the episode that I don't think the Muppets got enough time. It felt more like "The Elton John Show, with special guest stars, the Muppets!". That just didn't sit well with me.

-Matt
  4. Ryan

Ryan New Member

Wha?? He is one of the greatest puppeteers of all time, in humor and performance!

Sorry, Gotta disagree again. I think she sang very well. In the "opening" number, Broadway Baby, I thought she was great. It's a unique voice, and I liked it. In fact, I've been looking for an MP3 of it for a while, :D

All of the others I totally agree with you.
  5. Link Hogthrob

Link Hogthrob New Member

I'm so glad that SOMEONE has finally stepped up and said that the Mark Hamill episode stinks!

I must admit that I actually wanted to punch him in the face when he was doing the bit with Kermit and Fozzie backstage...and those weird little movements he made onstange with Angus...stick to Star Wars, Mr. Skywalker! :halo:

I have to say that I really did enjoy the Debby Harry episode...well, at least parts of it. I like the duet she does with Kermit. Otherwise, not a big fan of her music. The opening number was cute too.

Jim
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that liked it. I mean, Mark seemed to have fun.. a lot of fun.. too much fun..

I didn't like Raquel Welsh at all... she was just their to show off her...self...

The episode was good, the guest was not.
  7. Link Hogthrob

Link Hogthrob New Member

Yeah, see...I think that was my whole problem with it. I think he was "letting the force be with him" to an insane degree! ;)

I personally LOVED the Raqel Welch episode! I think her duet with Fozzie was great!

Jim
  8. kansasteen14

kansasteen14 New Member

I have to agree with the goood Doctor the Mark Hamill episode is one of my favorites, yo gottaa live the "he's my cousin" bit. :)
  9. Drtooth

Other than that, she was pretty much just a sex symbol in that episode.

I only have that tape, so basically, I can opnly remember those 3 episodes...
  10. The Flying Sheep

The Flying Sheep New Member

I LOVED the Johnathan Winter Eps! and the Senor Wences and Wally Boag!

Sly's singing will haunt me for ages.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Leslie Ugams - just because I don't care for her. The rest of the show was fine and it's always good to see SS characters in the mix, but after I saw this woman slaughter the musical Anything Goes (about a decade or so ago, it was not on the show), I cannot endorse any of her work. :grouchy: But seriously, I can't think of a single show I really didn't like.

I actually think the Elton John show was the best! He performed most of his top songs and always with Muppet interaction. I actually get weirded when the stars don't perform as much. That's an A+ show IMHO. Doesn't get much better than that.

After watching the Muppets and Men documentary I have a better grasp why the shows were structured the way they were. Performers would want to do things that they weren't known for (dancers wanted to sing, comedians wanted to dance etc) so that's why some of the performances didn't shine. But it all contributed to the overall off-the-wall theme of The Muppet Show.
  12. Dude, she ignored Janice---gave her the cold shoulder on camera in front of millions of viewers, preserved forever on film (tape, whatever).

My grudge on her is great.

Really!

It is!

:grouchy:
  13. And yes, I side with the others who agree that Senor Wence's episode was WONderful.
  14. TravellingMatt

TravellingMatt New Member

Tony Randall.

Worst. Episode. Ever.

At least I thought so when I was a kid, I might have to see it again.

Also, you would've thought they could've done more with Alan Arkin aside from that "Jekyll & Hyde" (not the musical) thing, seeing as how he had been on "Sesame Street" (albeit not in any segments with Muppets)...
  15. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

Hmmm, I'd have to agree with the Arlo Guthrie ep, I've never seen the Jonny Cash ep, but I have read people
    say he didn't really interact with the Muppets that well or at all?

I'm wondering why there is a Spy Kids 3!:confused: LOL
  16. Drtooth

:boo: :sleep: DWOAH HO HO HO!!!!!

I liked the episode of MT, but I hated Sandra Bullock.
  17. dbarrie

dbarrie New Member

Here's my list:

* Charles Aznavour
    * Wally Boag -- very forgettable
    * Bruce Forsyth -- he DID come off as a phony!
    * Arlo Guthrie
    * Glenda Jackson -- I found her irritating
    * Liberace -- never liked him
    * Mummenschanz -- I found them boring
    * Jim Nabors
    * Leo Sayer -- isn't he Richard Simmons' English cousin? (LOL)
    * Sylvester Stallone
    * Shields & Yarnell

It wasn't easy picking the worst ones, because most of them were good (even the ones I don't necessarily like). I don't remember the one with Marisa Berenson. I like Anne Murray (a fellow Canuck), but I didn't think her appearance was anything special. !:eek:
  18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I didn't like Leslie Uggams, but that's just because I don't particularly like her. The show was good.
  19. dbarrie

dbarrie New Member

Don't remember her. Guess she must've been forgettable too! (LOL
  20. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

I'm curious, why Aznavour, Nabors and Sayer? I thought Aznavour fit in pretty well and sang well, even if his appearance wasn't especially distinguished or spectacular. Jim Nabors, while he can be grating, seemed to greatly enjoy the company of the Muppets. And Leo Sayer, while his spoken interaction with the Muppets left something to be desired, provided the show's only bursts of energy in between a drawn-out and sedate backstage plot. Compared to Leo's powerhouse musical numbers, the rest of the show seems dull! Granted, the music of Leo Sayer is, like some of his 70's contemporaries, an acquired taste.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole