Worst TMS guest stars

dbarrie

Reaction score
OK, to be fair, the one w/ Jim Nabors wasn't all that bad. I'm just not a fan of his. He did a brutal (if humourously campy) rendition of one of my all-time favourite songs, "You Are the Sunshine of My Life."

Splurge

Reaction score
I guess my least favorites were Diana Ross and Debbie Harry. I could have done without Mark Hamill and just kept Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars episode. (At least the Droids were fun.)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Those were some of my faves! Just goes to show that Muppet fans have a wide spectrum of tastes. I still wish Cher had done one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Splurge said:
I guess my least favorites were Diana Ross and Debbie Harry. I could have done without Mark Hamill and just kept Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars episode. (At least the Droids were fun.)

I'll admit that. I mean, the Angus McGonical/ Mark Hamil thing was pretty funny, since Animal attacked them. It is one of my favorite episodes, and the only thing I didn't like was the Three iddy fishies number. It was good, just I don't like the song. Plus the ending where they find Chewbacca was too abrupt...

But the Droids, Chewy, and Luke were great, plus the extended Pigs in Space and the "Six String Orchestra" were what made the episode great!

Animal03

Reaction score
I kinda wished they brought Gordon Lightfoot aboard to do an episode, I'm sitting here thinking they could do a great job with Sundown, Song for a Winter's Night and I personally think it would have been cool to see The Muppet Band do The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald. Oh well.... :sleep:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Animal03 said:
I kinda wished they brought Gordon Lightfoot aboard to do an episode, I'm sitting here thinking they could do a great job with Sundown, Song for a Winter's Night and I personally think it would have been cool to see The Muppet Band do The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald. Oh well.... :sleep:
Animal03- I've already been working on a fan fiction outline for a Gordon Lightfoot episode (set in mid-Season Four) for a while now. I hope to have it up soon. Gotta finish my Red Skelton outline first and then hopefully Lightfoot will be next (and I may include an prominent appearance by one or two discarded Muppets- stay tuned!)

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

jellyman kelly

Reaction score

Originally Posted by Animal03
I kinda wished they brought Gordon Lightfoot aboard to do an episode, I'm sitting here thinking they could do a great job with Sundown, Song for a Winter's Night and I personally think it would have been cool to see The Muppet Band do The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald. Oh well...

what a 24 carat episode that would have been..!
:cool:

dbarrie

Reaction score
Thought you'd be happy to know that the ep. w/ your *favourite* guest Bruce Forsyth will air here in Toronto on Sept. 17 @ 7 PM ET on the CTS channel (Cable 9). I can email you again once I've seen it, but I do remember not being fond of him or his appearance. I found him to be a goof and a show-off. The ep. w/ Jim Nabors aired on Monday; he was OK but I'm still not a fan of his singing or his "bumpkin" brand of humour.

Gorgon Heap said:
I was just thinking about it, so I figured I'd start a thread. Here are my picks:

Bruce Forsyth: I've been planning to write an article about him and his episode for Tough Pigs, but my main points are: he's goofy, grating, insincere, a show-off and a phony

Marisa Berenson: not an insult to Ms. Berenson per se, but her appearance on the show left a lot to be desired. What exactly was her first number supposed to be showcasing? And in regard to her song, is that really how she sings? No closing number, either. Still, she was good in "Cabaret" and IMO one of the most beautiful women in the world. Nothing to sneeze at, that.

Sylvester Stallone: I don't really need to explain this, do I? Suffice it to say, his appearance on the show was more of a novelty than a display of his versatility as a performer.

Shields & Yarnell: first number- excellent; second number- unimpressive; closing number- is it over yet?

Arlo Guthrie: nothing against his musical numbers; they were all fine, and his closing number was lovely, I thought it was a great rendition of a beautiful song. But overall, he seemed kind of awkward, like he didn't belong or didn't really know why he was there. There's a nice moment at the end with Miss Piggy, and it's one of the only times in the show where it seems like he's actually there; the rest of the show he seems like he's distracted by something.

Anne Murray: her singing was great; her acting was not

Jonathan Winters: not very funny, seemed to not enjoy being there; no closing number.

Mark Hamill: Oy. The 'cousins' bit got old fast. Hamill was probably the only guest star who was least believable as himself.

Joan Baez: her songs were good, but the problem with her guest appearance was the same as it was with the episode itself: both were TOO PREACHY

Brooke Shields: her limitations as a performer were on full display. She's improved somewhat over the years, and as she demonstrated at the live Muppet Show, she can sing. Still, when I first saw her numbers on TMS as a lad I fell in love with her, so my cynicism can only go so far.

Senor Wences: I dunno, I was bored with his bits on the show. He was a more skilled ventriloquist than Edgar Bergen but not as funny.

Wally Boag: more corny and annoying than funny

Debbie Harry: same as Anne Murray; singing was good, acting was most certainly not; 2nd to Mark Hamill for not being believable as herself

Side mentions:

Valerie Harper: clearly enthusiastic, loved being there, loved the Muppets; couldn't sing or dance, a big minus; good impersonations, though

Zero Mostel: underused; sometimes he seemed to be doing his own thing rather than playing off of his co-stars; acting 'at' instead of 'with'; they should've given him more to do and given him a scene with one of the core Muppets: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, or Gonzo

Judy Collins: non-interactive; like Mostel, she should've had a scene with Kermit or Fozzie or other regular characters, maybe a dressing room scene would've done the trick

What are yours?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Animal03

Reaction score
I didn't even know Jim Nabors sang opera considering how goofy he sounds when he talks! LOL

suggsy

Reaction score
Lola Falana is painful. :rolleyes: She seemed drugged up and disinterested in being on the show. It's a shame because the plot of Gonzo leaving the theater is fantastic.

I LOVE the Tony Randall episode. He's totally into it, especially after he turns Piggy to stone. He's really funny when he panics.

Mark Hamill is corny, but deliberately so.