You know that unaired Dexter's Lab episode?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The episode itself itsn't really the big deal. The fact that it's been released by an official source is.
Still don't see the big deal :stick_out_tongue:
I said I was surprised they had the money to be able to do it; cartoons aren't given a whole lot of money to finance the show in general, so I'm a little surprised they were able to afford to do an episode for their own personal use.
I actually wasn't even referring to your post XD

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see the big deal. So they made an episode for themselves. So what? It's not like they had any intention of airing it to warp the precious noggins on impressionable children :stick_out_tongue:
Animators do this sort of thing all the time, and they're a great deal weirder and more offensive than Dexter swearing. There's a story about an animator making a X-rated Mickey and Minnie cartoon for Walt's birthday, and Walt wanted to have them fired. This is just one of the two instances where one of these things was released to the public. The other being the Porky Pig thing I mentioned.

I'll give it this... it could have been a regular episode if the dialogue was changed. The far more offensive Dexter's Lab cartoon made it to air. The Dial M for Monkey with the Camp Gay, almost homophobic (but in a funny way) Silver Spooner and The Infragable Krunk getting obviously drunk to the point of him vomiting, and someone asking to drive him home. And need I say the lesbian episode (also homophobic but funny) of Cow and Chicken?

Slackbot

Reaction score
When I saw this at the San Diego Comic Con, the woman who introduced it said that it had originally been planned for TV, but then they were asked if they really wanted to explain to the parents of six-year-olds what it was their kids just saw. I found that explanation a bit farfetched, considering how easy it was to see what the bleeped words were. Perhaps the concept was nixed for broadcast, and they were allowed to make the ep for their own jollies, thus pushing it as far as it would go?

Drtooth

Reaction score
When I saw this at the San Diego Comic Con, the woman who introduced it said that it had originally been planned for TV, but then they were asked if they really wanted to explain to the parents of six-year-olds what it was their kids just saw. I found that explanation a bit farfetched, considering how easy it was to see what the bleeped words were. Perhaps the concept was nixed for broadcast, and they were allowed to make the ep for their own jollies, thus pushing it as far as it would go?
I still don't see how a redub would have hurt. They could easily have replaced the dialogue with "Darns" and "hecks" and angry gibberish. Unlike the other episodes they banned because there was no way to salvage them to be less adult based.

snichols1973

Reaction score
And then there was that time when Ren & Stimpy creator John Kricfalusi jumped the shark with the TV-MA "Adult Party" version on SpikeTV, which was the virtual equivalent of R&S mixed with the twisted kind of humor you see in Family Guy, South Park, etc., which gave Kricfalusi more creative liberty than the Nickelodeon version.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren_&_Stimpy_"Adult_Party_Cartoon"

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Why is it that the polite Dexter and Dee-Dee have British accents? I guess only British people are polite. *shrug*
What 'bout us Canadians?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Because there's a stereotype that all British people are very mannerly, and always practice proper etiquette, so giving them British accents kind of emphasizes their politeness.

Canadians, on the other hand, are always stereotyped as being wimpy and sissy, so it wouldn't have worked out very well (don't get me wrong, I'm a big Canadaphile, I know that real Canadians aren't like that, but that's the way Americans like to depict Canadians).

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Because there's a stereotype that all British people are very mannerly, and always practice proper etiquette, so giving them British accents kind of emphasizes their politeness.

Canadians, on the other hand, are always stereotyped as being wimpy and sissy, so it wouldn't have worked out very well (don't get me wrong, I'm a big Canadaphile, I know that real Canadians aren't like that, but that's the way Americans like to depict Canadians).
What about Scott Pilgrim? He's a dork, but he's a butt kicking canadian :stick_out_tongue:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I was just kidding anyway, but it's so true, I can't see it working out with Canadians, eh? (See what I mean? Although, no one even talk like that where I live.)