You may be an 80's child if...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool. (Was there an 80's movie she
WASN'T in?)
Was there an '80s movie she wasn't in? She wasn't in The Great Muppet Caper, The Muppets Take Manhattan, Follow That Bird, ET, the Back To The Future movies, the Ghostbusters movies, The Dark Crystal, Labrynth, the Empire Strikes Backm Return of The jedi, Flight of the Navagator, Cheech and Chong's Next Movie, Nice Dreams, The Corcican brothers, Things Are Tough All Over, UHF, Once Bitten, earth Girls are easy, Peggy Sue Got Married, No Holds Barred..... (and post-1980s movies, she wasn't in The Facts of Life Reunion Movie)

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
the 80s

"Wax on,Wax off" was a phrase used in 'The Karate Kid',to teach Daniel a blocking technique.

The 80s for me:
  • watching girls at school dress like Madonna,with the skirt/pants looks,loads of jewelry
  • writing Def Leppard and Twisted Sister(just TS) on my school notebooks
  • watching Saturday morning cartoons 'til noon
  • I had a few Swatch watches
  • Rubik's puzzles were in
  • I had: Atari 2600,saved money from a yard sale $124,over 50 games(eventually).My first game was Ms. Pacman,my brother's was Chopper Command
  • was a bookworm,even back then
  • watched variety shows on tv(at the end of their run,into the 80s,starting from the 70s)
  • began my first job,at KFC in 1986,as soon as I turned 16
  • learned how to drive,was 1986 too
  • graduated high school in 1988
  • began college in fall 1988
  • learned how to play the flute starting in 5th grade
  • standing in line for E.T. for over 3 hours with my family,all four of us cried when E.T. died
  • rode my first roller coaster in 1985,Loch Ness Monster in Busch Gardens,VA
  • bowling and roller skating were in
  • learned how to ice-skate
  • went to Atlanta,Georgia in 9th grade,my first time away from home by myself
  • still listened to vinyl records
  • went thru different decorating phases in my room: celebrity pictures,The Monkees,surfers,goth,peace
  • wore clothes like I'm still wearing now,jeans and a t-shirt,sneakers or docsiders
  • wore Ugg boots,long before they became 'in',like they are now,had them imported from Australia for $74.00,still have my pair from over 10 years ago
  • permed my hair
  • got my ears pierced,2nd and 3rd row
  • started the internet in 1986,AOL,on my IBM PC
  • was in 10th grade Social Studies class,watching 'Dr. Strangelove...',when our class was interrupted,we turned on the tv to watch the repeating of the Challenger exploding
  • I remember video arcades,there were 2 major arcades in my area
  • watched my first rated 'R' film,'Bevery Hills Cop'
  • was and still am,hooked on Weird 'Al' music,started at age 13
  • got cable tv,shouting 'I want my Mtv',the 'in' catch phrase
  • wore ortho braces,metal and full-mouth retainer
  • my first concert,The Thompson Twins
  • my first theater experience,'Cats'
  • first boyfriend,in 1986
  • had first VCR
I can relate to the majority of statements Kimp listed in the first post,was nodding while reading it.

Phantom

Reaction score
I had "Bon Jovi hair"....

well, not really as much, but it was long and mousse-y.

rtgentry

Reaction score
Anyone remeber GIlligans Planet and Hey vern its ernest? How about the laverne and shirley cartoon with Fonzie from happy days? Kissey Fur... and more

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I'm definitely a child of the 1980s and proud of it!:smile:

For more '80s memories- check out http://www.80scartoons.net

I've heard the phrase "wax on, wax off" in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secrets of The Ooze, but I don't know what it means. Could somebody please explain it to me?

I've heard of The Garbage Pail Kids, but not untill 1996 (while reading about their movie in a video guide book), but I didn't knwo their origina untill 1998. I didn't know about them in the 1980s.
Funny you should mention that. It seems ABC Family has been showing "The Karate Kid" movies a lot lately. I was watching The Karate Kid the other night and broke into laughter hearing that great phrase- "Wax On, Wax Off"- learning these techniques of waxing your car can help you too learn karate the Miyagi way!!!:smile:

And as to The Garbage Pail Kids- they were gross in the 1980s and they're gross now. And you can still buy new card packs at your local Wal-Mart! I don't remember GPK much in the 80s though I do remember watching the cartoon. I didn't hear about the 1987 live action movie until much later (and by the way, it's finally been released on DVD if anyone's really interested in seeing the pinnacle of Astin McKenzie's career!) And yes, there was a real cartoon based on the cards- but it mainly aired overseas and not in the US!

But I could talk about the '80s on and on.......so suffice it to say the 1980s rock!
www.80s.com

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I love 'I love the 80s!' weekends on one of Maryland's local radio stations.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off."

You can remember watching Full House and Saved by the Bell for endless
hours.

You have seen at least 10 episodes of Fraggle Rock.

You know that another name for a keyboard is a "Synthesizer."

You'll always hold a special place in your heart for "Back to the Future."

You know where to go if you "wanna go where everybody knows your name."

You know what "psych" means.

You could breakdance, or wished you could.

You know who Max Headroom is.

You know, by heart, the words to any "Weird" Al Yankovic song.

You remember and/or own any of the Care Bear glass collection from Pizza
Hut.

You know what a Doozer is. See Fraggle Rock.

You have heard of "Garbage Pail Kids" (and perhaps still have a collection of
them).

You know what a "Whammy" is. ("No Whammy, no whammy, stop!")

You watched HR Puffenstuff as a child, but now that you're older, you really understand that it would have been much better had you known about drugs at the time.

You can't remember a time when "going out for coffee" DIDN'T involve 49,000 selections to choose from.

Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you actually learned the English language.

You thought "Weird Science" was a masterpiece.

Chevy Chase was really funny in those vacation movies.

I remember all of this, and I'm only 19 years old!! I was born in 1986, but my parents are HUGE 80's fans, and I am as well. But I've never gone as far as wearing neon...oh wait.
I did.
I had a lime-green neon sweatsuit set when I was 8 years old. I never wanted to get rid of it. And not cause it looked weird though...I never found a sweatsuit set more soft. XD

<< >> Never mind...XD

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
You remember when Saturday Night Live was funny.
Amen to that. Wait, do you mean the Farley Spade Myers Carvey Sandler years or the Martin Short years? :eek: