You may be an 80's child if...

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Though I was born in 1976, I have almost no memories of the 70s. The 80s were it for me! It was the greatest era to be young and there will never, never be such another great time. Long live the 80s...long live the children of the Baby Boomers...Generation X!
Here here!

I was born in '75, and the only memories I have of that decade are watching Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, Scooby-Doo and The Gong Show on my family's enormous (well, 24 inches--it seemed enormous to me) TV, which was more like a piece of furniture, since most of it was made of wood, with the tube inside. My mom used to Pledge the TV!

I remember pretty much everything on that list, from the "original" Michael Jackson to the Whammy (I used to want to crush that little bugger whenever he came breakdancing across my TV screen, or singing "who would ever want to hurt a Whammy?") to Weird Al to collecting vinyl records to collecting and trading Garbage Pail Kid cards with my friends to the Challenger explosion to ALF to having a crush on Molly Ringwald:flirt: to Pac-Man and ATARI to hating the sound of synthesizers even then...

I had a good time during Ronnie's eighties, but for some reason I feel more nostalgia for the 90s these days...

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Amen to that. Wait, do you mean the Farley Spade Myers Carvey Sandler years or the Martin Short years? :eek:
Everyone has their own opinion, but I think the definitive 1980s SNL cast was between 1986 and 1989, when you had Dana Carvey, Jon Lovitz, Jan Hooks, Phil Hartman, Victoria Jackson, A. Whitney Brown, Kevin Nealon, Nora Dunn and Dennis Miller.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I like totally used to like say like in every other like word and like I'm sure like some grownups were like "what's he talking about?" Like us kids had like our own like language or something. I mean, like have you ever heard of anything like so weird?? Like.

Oh, and going out for coffee in the 80s meant having a cup at my grandma's house.

Gen-Xer and proud of it!!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Ya know, it never crossed my mind that Smurfette was the only female Smurf...until today...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's been a big deal for awhile, that the Smurfs were all these guys with one girl. (Actually there was another girl later on, but still).

anytimepally

Reaction score
My friends and I went as Smurfs (and Gargamel) one year for Halloween! :smile:

There are actually 3 female smurfs, Smurfette, Sassette, and Nanny.. but here's what's really neat.. Smurfette was actually created by Gargamel to destroy the Smurfs - as a brunette... the magic potion that created her included: Sugar & spice but nothing nice... crocodile tears... a bird brain... the tip of an adder's tongue... a pack of white lies... a cat's slyness... the peacock's vanity... the chatter of a magpie... the guile of a vixen... the disposition of a shrew ... and the hardest stone for her heart.... Papa Smurf's magic later changes her from evil to good (& her hair color)... how strange is that? :zany:

EDIT: on 2nd thought, maybe I shouldn't admit I know so much about Smurfs :concern:

FuzzMonkey

Reaction score
Yeah, the '80s were great for me.

The girls wore jelly shoes and jelly bracelets
Friendship pins
G.I. Joe
He-Man
Manglor
Ewoks TV movies
Huge sticker albums with Scratch -N- Sniff
Puttin' on the Hits
Culture Club
Checkers and neon

The '90s had its share of cool stuff too.

anytimepally

Reaction score
He-Man was my favorite.. I still have a huge collection of books and comics.. and even a few action figures.. and I've also recently purchased the DVDs

daughterdeadly

Reaction score
Oh gosh, I hate to just randomly throw in a comment here, but I can't resist....!

I was (unfortunantly) born afew years late of the eighties, but this thread just makes me laugh because as I go through the lists, I realize; I know AND live half of this stuff! Here I am with my overly curly hair that (afew years back) could 'almost' be considered an afro! (People think it's permed... but it's NOT!) and, surprisingly, right now I'm wearing one of those shirts with the shoulders cut off. Ya' know, like the one from "Flash Dance"?

Heh heh, God bless the eighties! :smile:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
He-Man was my favorite.. I still have a huge collection of books and comics.. and even a few action figures.. and I've also recently purchased the DVDs
I was really into Masters of the Universe. I watched the TV show religiously, had many of the action figures and had the Castle Greyskull playset. Never had Snake Mountain, though. THAT'S what I REALLY wanted, especially since it had that cool microphone-thingy, that when spoken into, would alter your voice.

Strangely, I must have grown out of my He-Man days by '87, because, to this day, I have never seen the movie with Dolph Lundgren and Frank Langella.

It would be nice, though, to see a new live-action Masters movie, with really rad special effects. I'd love to see it as a dark, gritty action epic.