1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Muppet mistakes

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by bingboingcutie, Jan 19, 2011.

1. 1000 Eyes

1000 Eyes Well-Known Member

Well, only by reading through this thread have I discovered that Whitmire is pronounced 'Whit-mer'... :p

2. This is a pretty weird one, but I thought Janice was a man that was a cross dresser. Yes, very odd.

3. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Well...not too odd, considering that Michael Frith originally designed Janice as a Mick Jagger-type character, right down to the large mouth and "utterly emaciated" body. I was pretty spooked out when I first saw it, and I'm really glad that instead, Janice became the guitar-shredding valley girl we all know and love.
    [​IMG]

4. MuppetNostalgia

MuppetNostalgia New Member

Belive it or not,I once mistook Annie Sue for Miss Piggy.

5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

I used to think Barkley from Sesame Street was a real dog

Before I knew how the Big Bird puppet worked, because he's so tall it didn't make sense to me that an actual person would be inside so I assumed Big Bird must have been a robot.

I originally thought Olivia appeared in the first season of SST.

I used to think that the first few seasons of SST were filmed in black and white.

I used to think Brian Henson played Kermit after his father's death.

I've been a Muppet fan since I was a baby and found out about many of the performers when I was five, but I didn't know that Eric Jacobson had taken over Frank Oz's characters until I was about nine.

I originally thought that Beautiful Day Monster was an early version of Sam the Eagle, due to their similarities in appearance.

6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Unless I'm mssing something, I've never heard it pronounced WHIT-MER.

7. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing...Is it pronounced WHIT-MEER or WHIT-MYER?

8. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I always pronounce it as St-eve Whit-myer.

9. D'Snowth

That's the way I've always heard it pronounced: not WHIT-MER or WHIT-MEER; always WHIT-MYER.

With that said, I do recall one occasion where the cast of SST were at an appearance where the emcee mispronounced Caroll's last name as SPY-NEE.

10. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

Speaking on the same subject, I've wondered how Stephanie D'Abruzzo's last name is pronounced. I tend to say it as "Duh-Broozoh", but could it actually be "Dee-Abroozoh?"

11. D'Snowth

In the audiobook version of STREET GANG, Caroll pronounced it DEH-BROOT-SO, which I seem to recall Elmo saying when speaking to Diva D'Abruzzo in the Singing episode of Elmo's World.

I think I mentioned this before, but I'm wondering how Pam Arciero's last name is pronounced - I seem to recall someone suggesting it's pronounced the way it's spelled: AR-SEE-ERR-OH. Same with Johnny T.'s last name: TAR-TAG-LEE-UH.

12. Pig's Laundry

That's how this interviewer pronounces it:

She says it's just pronounce "Duh-Broozoh"
    Staphanie pronounces her last name at about the 10:36 mark of this podcast:
    https://www.podcat.com/podcasts/Y48...episodes/lVB2Ex-38-stephanie-d-abruzzo-part-1
    You should check out the whole interview if you haven't already btw, it's very informative.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  13. Rarity

Rarity New Member

I'v still call Statler Stantler like the pokemon i never bothered to correct myself.

14. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

You're kidding me? My family used to know some Whitmire's. I always thought it was Whit - myre

15. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

When I first heard of Muppetzine when I first got the internet back in 1996, I thought it was an official Henson Company-produced/approved Muppet magazine. I didn't realize it was just made by fans with no involvement in the company (though official people did do interviews and correspond with the magazine). Just a few months early, I heard about things like copyright laws and needing permission to use other people's works, and assumed, though it didn't cross my mind at the time, that a fan could not legally make a magazine without permission from the company.

I probably should have thought the same about all the Muppet fan sites, but at first I thought the info on the internet was basically magic (ignoring things like mentions of web authors, times when they wrote as if the pages were done by individuals, notes from certain authors that they didn't know or have certain things, etc.), or that The Jim Henson Company was somehow behind all the fan sites in some way.

Even after I knew that websites were written by individuals and that many were not made or endorsed by Henson, I still assumed for a number of years that Muppetzine was an official Henson product.

I think I also thought Muppetzine could be found in stores with other magazines, even though I never saw any in person. I didn't realize that you had to order it.

And on a separate note (but it's something I first heard about at about the same time I heard of Muppetzine), I thought that Jim Henson: The Works was a book without many pictures. Just several pages of text and a few pages of black and white pictures in the middle of the book.

16. Pig's Laundry

I still have a hard time remembering which one is Statler and which one is Waldorf.

17. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

when i first seen the Muppet movie for the first time on TV , back in 1983, when i was a kid, i thought the lyrics to moving right along went like this .

we're moving right along , footloose and Pepsi free :laugh: .
    • and i also thought the song also went like this,
    • we're moving right along , footloose and set me free :laugh:.

heralde and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  18. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

"AAAAAAH! IT'S A WEIRD BIRD!"
    Swayzak from Toonami, too.

Also, does Eric Jacobson do Yoda's voice now?

scooterfan360 likes this.
  19. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well that is true, we never see them drinking Pepsi! ;)

scooterfan360 likes this.
  20. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

it would be neat if they did do a pepsi commercial. by the way, pepsi free was a soda, it was big in the 1980's .

heralde likes this.