1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Muppet mistakes

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by bingboingcutie, Jan 19, 2011.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Well, I used to think he only said mee, even when I heard him make sounds that sound different (like "sadly temporary" in TMM and "no" following one of Bunsen's introductions in Muppet Labs), but has he ever actually said meep? It's usually spelled that way in books, even though he usually doesn't actually say it that way.

2. PanthraDion

PanthraDion Well-Known Member

Well, he meep's in Muppet Babies.

3. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

For a very long time I thought Brian Henson had been voicing Kermit after his father's death; it was only within the past 3 years or so I found out it was Steve Whitmire. On a related note, I did not realize Brian voiced Jack Pumpkinhead in the criminally underrated WoO sequel Return to Oz; I thought it was Michael Jackson.

Harleena likes this.
  4. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

Let's see, my Muppet mistakes...
    I remember I had some growing up in the 1990s.

Well as a kid, I thought Bill Barretta performed The Cat in The Hat on The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss.

I didn't know Frank performed Cookie Monster until my middle school years.

5. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

My other Muppet mistakes...

As a young kid, I believed that Jim Henson performed Beautiful Day Monster, not Frank Oz.

I thought Frazzle was performed by various Muppet performers. Now, I realized that only Jerry Nelson performed that orange, furry monster. Oops!

I believed that that the Grouch cop and the jail were performed by another puppeteer. Now, I found out it was Jerry Nelson, the same guy that not only did the grouches with his rough voice, he did Herry Monster, Sherlock Hemlock, and so much more.

6. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

As a kid I remember thinking that the cast of Sesame Street "Sesame Street Characters" instead of "Sesame Street Muppets"

7. Animal'sBunny

Animal'sBunny Active Member

For the longest time I thought Miss Piggy was voiced by a woman. I also thought Big Bird was a girl. Don't ask me why. I've probably made tons of others, but that's off the top of my head.

8. Animal'sBunny

Animal'sBunny Active Member

Oh and at first I thought that Scooter actually WAS a gopher...

snichols1973 likes this.
  9. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

In between the time I saw TMM as a child and when I saw it again for the 1st time as an adult, I thought "Moving Right Along" was performed by Kermit and Fozzie while they were dancing in the El Sleazo.

10. minor muppetz

A mistake I made that I just remembered: Long ago, when Henson.com added an FAQ section, some of the questions were worded very silly/over-dramatically, and I thought those questions really were asked that way.* There were questions worded like "I need to write a research paper on Jim Henson and it's due tomorrow, and if I don't get an A I'll lose my job and my dog will leave me" and "My kid has locked himself in the closet and won't come out until he gets a Bear in the Big Blue House toy. When will I see my son again?" The things 14-year-old would believe were true....

*Of course I felt like all questions on FAQ pages were asked once (well, they must have been asked once... and then again and again and again....). I also thought FAQ pages posted ANY questions that were sent to the web masters. One time I e-mailed the author of a Muppet FAQ with some questions I had, that weren't on that page, and I was surprised that they e-mailed me back. I expected the questions and answers to show up on the FAQ page.

Well, there was a sing-along video promoting that movie, called "The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland Sing-and-Play". It had one or two songs from the movie as well as some songs from the show.

There's also a version of the song from around season 30, with Ernie taking a bath in a more detailed bathroom. Jim's vocals were used. These vocals were also used in a film insert showing kids taking baths, and Little Richard sang it on the show in season 25.

11. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

When I first saw the Muppet Show on YouTube three years ago during the fall season, I called the red-hair orange Muppet, "Scooper", "Skeeter", and "Scoots." :sigh:

However, when I watched some Muppet specials and finally bought myself the Muppets Take Manhattan on DVD, I finally said that the red-haired orange Muppet is "Scooter, the go-pher" or "Scooter Groose."

scooterfan360 likes this.
  12. Grifoshka

Grifoshka Active Member

My main Muppet mistake, I'm sure, is that I pronounce many performers' names wrong. I always have trouble with that.:oops:
    There's also one mistake I remember from my childhood: in the Russian version of Sesame Street, Ernie's name was changed to Yenik, and for a long time I thought his name was "Venik" (Russian for "broom"). Strangely enough, the fact that there was a guy named "Broom" didn't bother me at all.:p

Harleena likes this.
  13. minor muppetz

In Muppet Moments, when the clips of Andy Williams singing "Two of a Kind" and "Jubilee Time" were combined, while I thought it was weird that it suddenly cut to a different setting with Andy in different clothing, I actually thought he was still singing "Two of a Kind" when he sang "Jubilee Time". I guess it doesn't help that both titles have the same number of syllables, the words aren't too different-sounding, and he was suddenly singing a bit fast. With "Jubilee Time", as a kid I heard it as "Two of a, two of a, two of a kind! It's gonna be a two a ee, it's gonna be a two of ee, oh it's two of a kind, oh it's two of a kind...".

14. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

I can see it now: the Swedish Chef in a Muppet parody of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay...:hungry:

I can only imagine one of Miss Piggy's potential reactions:

:mad:: Don't even think about it, Chef, or I'll serve you up some of my Karate Chops! Hii-Yah!!!

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Accidentally confusing Beauregard's name for Bernard in the first chapter of my latest fanfic. :o

16. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

One from my younger years was I thought the Koozebanian Creatures were called Galley-Oh-Hoop-Hoops; I know that's their mating call, but I also thought that's what they were called.

17. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

I don't blame you. Boober sounds like he's being played by Frank when he says "Down at Fraggle Rock" in the theme song.

18. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Well-Known Member

My Muppets mistake...once saying Clifford was the most awesome Muppet ever.

Just kidding I never said that,:):laugh:.

But seriously, I think all of mine are ones people already mentioned. On a side note, but still sort of related, at my work there is guy who knows I'm a huge Muppets fan (not hard to tell since I do have a Kermit tattoo) and he's almost always talking to me about the Muppet show. Which of course in itself isn't bad except he's always listing stars who weren't actual guest stars on the show. Such examples include Micheal Jackson (whom he also clams to own the actual jacket he wore on the thriller album,:rolleyes:), Paul McCarthy and Dolly Parton. Not exactly a huge deal, but he'll argue with me to the high heavens when I correct him. Don't get me wrong that is a nice enough dude, just some of what he says is like, wow, ;).

19. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Telling someone Henry Monster instead of Herry Monster.

20. Harleena

Harleena Well-Known Member

I used to think that:
    • Carroll Spinney was a woman (I didn't know he was also the voice of Oscar, and my mom told me that a woman played Big Bird. You gotta admit, Big Bird has a neutral-sounding voice).
    • It was Kermit who was in love with Miss Piggy, not the other way around (Muppets Wizard of Oz flipped it and got me confused).
    • Gonzo was some sort of bird (he's rather bird-like, plus I assumed that he liked chickens because he was a bird)
    • It was pronounced "Whit-myer". I just learned that it's pronounced "Whit-mer" (It's spelled like "Whit-myer"!).
    • Animal was performed by someone other than Frank Oz. I don't know who, but not Frank Oz.
    • Jim Henson was still alive. In the year 2006. Yeah, I wish. :cry: :jim:
    • Elmo and Zoe were a couple. Even at 3 years old, I was still a hardcore shipper, apparently.