Your Thoughts: Ed Sullivan Muppets Magic DVD

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The release date was changed about two weeks ago. It should be out next Tuesday, September 2. You will likely find it's worth the wait.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Luke said:
Then again, i'd have to think that in these days of brand awareness and media strategists Sesame Workshop might actually prefer there to be at least some kind of established divide between themselves and Henson - they had that clause removed a while back to enable them to compete with JHC in all areas wheras before they were limited and had to stick to education.
Fascinating. So Elmo merchandise now COMPETES with Kermit merchandise on the shelves? It sounds like you're saying SS toys had to have a specifically educational purpose in the past, whereas now they can just be cute things to hug. Of course, I remember from growing up that a lot of my SS toys were simply huggable rather than educational. But maybe I'm not quite getting what you're saying.

Luke

Reaction score
Chilly Down said:
Fascinating. So Elmo merchandise now COMPETES with Kermit merchandise on the shelves? It sounds like you're saying SS toys had to have a specifically educational purpose in the past
I didn't really mean merchandise - i was just using the clause in their contract as an example of them making moves to encourage more of a distinction between themselves and Henson as two seperate competing production companies. I'm not sure how it works with merchandise, if at all, guess Muppets have been competing with Sesame there for years - but it was reported that the original Sesame Workshop contract with EMTV restricted them from competing with Henson in entertainment programming. So for instance, while before Sesame could put an educational show out against Henson programming in daytime they could have never have used the characters for a general entertainment programme like competing with the new Muppet show in prime time - now they can, ummm if they ever wanted to - but it was them who actively sought that clause to be removed in exchange for paying off their debt early and in bulk.

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the Muppets Magic DVD is closed captioned or subtitled?

Closed captioned would show a "CC" or a little TV icon on the back cover or side.
Subtitled would be listed in the 'setup' menu, probably.

Thanks for your help. I would love to order this, if it's captioned. :concern:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just checked the disc and as far as I can tell, neither close captioning nor subtitles are included. Maybe I'm just over looking it, but it doesn't seem likely.

:cry:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That's unfortunate. On the plus side, many of the skits probably don't need them. They appear to be more visual than vocal.

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
Aw, poo. Can't say I'm surprised, though.

But it's good to know that the skits aren't all speech-driven. Maybe I'll rent it first to see if it's worthwhile for me to own it. Thanks for the help, guys. :big_grin:

WOMAN! WOMAN!

Reaction score
One other thing, if you wouldn't mind: If you have the Rocky Mountain Holiday DVD, could you check for CC on that, too? Amazon says it is, but they've been wrong before.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have the Rocky Mountain DVD yet. Maybe someone else can confirm whatever or not it includes close captioning.

Drtooth

Reaction score
DARN!!! I left Best buy a few hours ago since I needed to pick stuff off from school... I wish I knew, I would have looked to see if it had CC or Subtitles.

The Cover art, I'll all Agree with you looks BLEEEEHHHHKKKUGH. Like a 3rd rate generic video. Anyway, IF I had a DVD I'd buy 2 copies, so I'd have a back up. With the exception of Big Bird's Skit, they all sound great.

By the way? What DID Eddy say to the Bird after his skit was through that stopped him from coming back?

I guess if Carol realy WAS performing Big Bird he could have zapped him back. I was at the book signing and he said that he didn't like the script for the Bob Hope show appearance (since it was all Kentucky Fried Chicken jokes) and he zapped him back by having the Bird say, "Boy! And I thought I had the biggest beak on television!!!"