Your Thoughts: Forum Ads

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... Would prefer it if the MC Radio banner was back up at the top of the page, as I said, makes it easier to find and know what's playing.
The odd thing is, in a given thread's page, I'll find the ads both at the top and at the bottom. Frankly, just once at the bottom (first choice) or immediately after the MC Radio banner (second choice) would be enough for me... Found it odd though pleasing that the ads are only at the bottom on the forum's main page after all the forum sections.

Dunno Phil... Maybe to save yourself major headaches and keep things consistent, MC Radio at the top and ads at the bottom?
Just a friendly suggestion.

Luke

Reaction score
I notice the MC Radio banner has been put back at the top of the forum index page, not sure if thats changing for everywhere or just there but at least its handy to have it there so people can start to listen to the radio once they start accessing the forum. Nice idea! I am also liking the wider variety of products being advertised.

The only thing i would really mention is whether the ads looked neater and more integrated and less obtrusive without the big black Amazon logo, as it was originally and with the blue border as it matched the forum.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Um, if I want to shop on Amazon, does MC get credit even if I buy non-muppety items from them, so long as I get to Amazon by clicking through? (Not entirely clear about how this works and want to do my part....)
Rizzo: Yeah, yeah--you just want an excuse to buy more books!
Ru: Shhhh!

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Sorta OT: Yes Ru, you can, exactly the way that you said.

As far as ads on the forums go, I'd rather see them on the bottom, BELOW the Quick Reply, and the MC Radio ad on the top. I truly enjoyed that! And many a time I clicked thru to the MC Radio page BECAUSE of the ad at the top.

Maybe it's just me.

BJ

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry about this Phil... But I have to voice my displeasure on the current set-up once again.
Not only is it a bit distracting to find the ads posted... But now they're at the very top of the page, interrupting or taking me longer to find certain links like the one to reply to threads.
IMHO the best scenario was to have the MC Radio banner on the top, the posts/threads, and finally the ads. If you want to have a biggger banner for the ads at the bottom so these will be noticed, I have no problem with that. Would just like to find things back to normal in the coming year.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yes that's right. We're an unofficial fan site even though we have relationships with the respective official companies represented.
That usually means you're official... but oh well, I won't argue.

I will say though, the ads are becoming more and more of a nuisense as of late with various little oddities going on...

1. On most pages, save for the forum index, as they're replaced by MC Radio info, the ads will prevent tabs like "Search" and "Quick Links" from working properly, as the ads overlap the drop-down menus and search boxes.
2. Ads usually tend to be the first things that load on a page, so if the ads stall, or are taking a long time to load, that stalls the rest of the page from loading when that happens.
3. Similar to number two, if the ads refresh themselves every few seconds or so (like for items on eBay or such), that freezes the forum until the ad is completely refreshed.
4. Similar to number four, if the ads refresh themselves, they stop animated avatars.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I personally don't mind the ads. They're usually tastefully displayed. I just decided not to click on them until the main site is revived. :sympathy: