1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: Fraggle Rock Season 3

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Phillip, Sep 2, 2007.

1. MattFraggle New Member

Season 3 is the best yet. And we FINALLY get interviews from Kathy Mullen and gerry parkes! *dances for joy*

It's just too bad the fraggle performers don't do many examples of the Fraggle voices...I really wanted to see Kathy do Mokey's voice on camera. Oh well...
  2. ploobis Well-Known Member

I bought my copy from Best Buy today! :excited:

I love the interview with Dave Goelz & Steve Whitmire about them doing pracitcal jokes on people in the studio. Dave mentioned that Don Saline once blew up his desk!

It was also great seeing interviews by Michael Frith, Kathy Mullen and Gerry Parkes.

So fare I have watched disc 1 and disc 5! :excited:
  3. RKUNKLER New Member

Does anybody know how to unlock all the easter eggs and has anybody done it yet. I want to unlock them but dont know how. if anyone does it would be great.
  4. MrsPepper Active Member

Ooh, I can't wait to get this set. I probably won't be able to for awhile though. Great review Phil, it will keep me sustained until I can get my own copy. :)
  5. zns Active Member

Ibougth my copy at Suncoast Video yesterday. They ussually carry things the day they are released. I have to say that the set is so amazing. There are so many great episodes here. My personal favorite is "The Secret Society of Poobahs". I especially love the way that Jim has Convincing John shot out and say the word "Glumborglox" (is that how you spell it?).
  6. SarahOnBway Member

I think Phil's review said that you just put your cursor over the Fraggle on the main menu (and the compass on the bonus disk) and there's the easter egg. I've only watched the bonus disk so far (which is full of SO MUCH MATERIAL! I WAS UP UNTIL 2AM OY! HEHE) so I found the one over the compass.

The bonus disk was AMAZING. I was floored. Michael Firth was wonderful in all the places that he contributed and I'm very happy we finally got an interview with Kathy Mullen. Gerry Parks was ADORABLE. And I can't tell you how gleeful I was during the whole Scared Silly part. HILARIOUS! And the vintage video footage is awesome too. When Richard got in front of the camera and was like NOW who's scared or whatever I just about died. Geez, if they ever released a box set of just Muppeteers performing I would watch it over and over and over. Doesn't need a plot. I would be hooked, hehe.

The only think I was wondering is why they had these interviews with Karen, Dave and Steve from previous seasons. I mean, the Karen parts were recorded for the S2 release and the Dave and Steve for S1. Not that I minded, but it would have been nice to hear Dave, Steve, Kathy and Jerry's opinions on the Season 3 Overview.

I. Love. Fraggle. Rock. Also in regards to the bonus features, my appreciation for Jocelyn Stevenson only grows and HIT is definitely the best DVD distributer of all the Muppet-related distributers. Disney should take a look at the Fraggle DVDs and be like, "ohhhhhhhh, they like INTERVIEWS as WELL". hehe
  7. ploobis Well-Known Member

It would be cool if for seasons 4 & 5 they would include Fraggle Bloopers, More backstage Home Movies and the Fraggles Look For Jobs short film! :excited: :smirk:
  8. Wow.

I got mine yesterday, early in the morning. Two day shipping and it was released on the 11th? I haven't watched all of the episodes yet, but the ones I did see were hilarious. The Battle of Leaking Roof in paticular. Anybody else notice the Trash Heap looks weird?
    I watched the interview with Gerry Parkes first, that was one of the best interviews I've ever seen in my life. It made me all warm and fuzzy inside for some reason, and I'm sure that this is the only message board where you can say that and nobody thinks your nuts. I think most of the magic on the show was how everyone loved doing it.
    I'm relieved that Mokey had a disc devoted to her and she was on the inside cover, and also relieved that HIT did not go back to using the fall apart easily box. My Snap Cases for the Second season DVD come unstuck all the time. I was blown away by Micheal Frith's artwork. It seems like he single handily drew the world of Fraggle Rock, and amazed by the puppet builders on how close they could get to the drawings. I read somewhere that Kathy Mullen were separated, but in the afterword for the artwork it says he's married to her.
    Two of my all time favorite episodes are on season three. Wembley Wonderful Whoopie Water, and Believe it Or Not. Like the other seasons this Box set didn't disappoint me. They could have had alot more extras on the last disc though. The Next, which is the last box set, I am hoping to see Doc And Sprocket on a Disc, maybe the Trash heap and Philo And Gunge. :excited:
  9. heralde Well-Known Member

I believe I've gotten through all the bonus features now. What comes to mind is how incredibly generous they were in this set. I can't believe they discussed so many episodes. And it was great to see Tom Newby explain the Gorgs and Doozers in more detail. I believe I'd seen him on the other sets from old '80s footage, so it was great to finally hear him talk. Techie type people would love this DVD, (Just in case you were wondering what to get your Techie relative or friend for Christmas! Hehe)

My favorite part of the bonus features was definitely the Scared Silly segment. Again, just a little tidbit that we didn't "need" to see, but were given anyway, which is awesome. It's definitely worth it, if only to see Richard Hunt declare Steve and Dave "Scaredy Cats 1 & 2!" Lol

It's always great to see Michael Firth being interviewed, he always comes across so friendly. And Kathy Mullen added new texture to the interviews as well; finally Mokey gets her well deserved due. Some of my favorite parts involved Michael and Kathy discussing these characters, their origins, and how much they obviously mean to them. Gerry Parks is very sweet and clearly understands how important it is to be part of a child's memory. :)

The episodes themselves are starting to become infinitely more interesting and relevant (if that was possible! Hehe). I remember watching "Mean Genie" for the first time years ago and being quite traumatized. It's still pretty scary now, but in a very different way. Wembley learns that if you stay silent, evil will flourish.

I think "Believe it Or Not" contains one of the most hard hitting lines (and themes) of the entire series, "It's all your fault he's a monster, you monster!" Skenrith may look scary while a monster, but what's truly frightening is how closed minded and smug Ma Gorg is behaving. So much of our reality depends on our own point of view. You can't let fear keep you from understanding a person or group. (Though I don't entirely blame Ma Gorg, considering the two wimps she has to live with! Hehe)

Gobo learns selflessness the hard way in "Grapes of Generosity," lol. It's always nice for me to see Gobo occasionally make mistakes and paic, after always being so brave and perfect. I found the reaction of the other Fraggles interesting when they discover the mess Gobo got himself into. You would think they'd be shocked and scold him for his selfishness. Instead...they laugh! The attitude seems to be, "Oh boy, look at what you got yourself into! Lol" A friend of mine pointed out "Fraggely" their reaction is. After all you wouldn't expect the Doozers, the Gorgs or even Doc and Sprocket to reacte that way.

"Bored Still" is just utterly adorable. Especially as we discover Junior's surprising affection for the Fraggles. Actually it does make sense when you think about it; Junior rarely gets to have fun, he's too busy taking orders from his parents. Chasing Fraggles offers some relief from his bosy father with his never ending commands. Junior's basically a child being raised to hate another group. He's also a very lonely creature. The Fraggles could be his friends, but he's been taught that they're the enemy. Plus, it must be fun to dominate over smaller creatures after always being pushed around himself.

Still, this episode proves he still has a mind of his own and perhaps this could be the beginning of a beautiful (if unusual) friendship. :)
  10. BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

I had to drive through 2 hours of traffic to get to Best Buy, but I finally got Fraggle Rock: Season 3! I guess I'll go watch it now. :excited:
  11. MattFraggle New Member

Ditto on "Bored". I just about fell out of my chair laughing watching Gobo with that glazed expression on his face, muttering "Boooorrrrrring."
  12. TheJimHensonHour New Member

just got mine i'm onto disc 3 so far so many episodes i've never seen before.
    I really liked the episode with the mean genie never saw that one before.
    Also really like skinfred I remember that episode scaring me so much as a kid.
    I enjoy that this set has easter eggs btw fun little traveling matt clips what are they from exactly? other countires? or are they just extra ones never used here?
  13. Frogster Active Member

Wow... what a terrific season set! It was definitely worth all the excitement, and it's great seeing the episodes in the clearest picture possible.

Heralde, I enjoyed your overview of the highlights and episodes in the season set, especially on the notes of "Bored Stiff," "Grapes Of Generosity," and "Believe It Or Not." The only thing I slightly disagree with is how, in the bonus features, they overused clips from "Secret Society Of Poohbahs." I went to watch it, and the only part that they didn't show was when Gobo, Red and Wembley sing "Keep On Smilin," which, to me, is one of their songs that really highlights the show itself.

"Red-Handed" is quite notable because of how Red does her best, in the beginning, to not accuse Mokey. So many of us throughout our lives blame others that we love for things that we think they did, but didn't. This is the one show in the world that really makes me want to be a better person in my world, and this is just one of those reasons.

"Boober & The Glob" is a great episode, and both songs are just so catchy. But the thing I found the most interesting was when Boober and Cotterpin were saying how both Fraggles and Doozers look alike. So much can be said in just that little banter. It's amazing how innocent these people are, and how profound they can be at the same time.

"The Great Radish Caper" is also quite endearing because we see Junior Gorg be the antagonist first, then the protagonist, compared to Mokey (and Boober, too). As Heralde said in "Bored Stiff," the guy's lonely. And I do agree that, if it wasn't for Pa and Ma, and Junior's need to want to over-power another living creature, he'd be pretty cool. But as you will all find out next year, when Season 4 comes out, in "Junior Faces The Music" and "The Gorg Who Would Be King," he's a really great guy, and the Fraggles will see that. He, like all of us, deserve that feeling of self-worth and love. And on a personal note, when I was little, this episode scared me when Junior first caught Mokey. Just... something about that background music, the cans clashing, and Mokey running away... lol.

"Wembley & The Mean Genie," "Believe It Or Not," and "Wembley's Wonderful Whoopie Water" all seem to tell me something... Wembley's really good about finding certain things in the Rock! I mean, he's found the Terrible Tunnel, Crystal Cavern, Blue Rock, the Whoopie Water, the perfect Blue Rollie, and he's met Skinfrith, Genie, Spider Fly, Mudwell, and others. Perhaps it's appropriate to say then that, at the end of the show's run, not only has Wembley proved to be just as good of an explorer as Gobo (even though most of the time it's just been being at the right place at the right time), you could also note that he's probably come the furthest of all the Fraggles. And who can resist that eye-rolling?

"Shrinking Mokey" was also interesting because of how it ends. Mokey really told Begoony how she felt, ending with a "Cut the tears, will you?" Mokey never gets mean, but she's obviously been pushed enough by this rabbit/dog that she feels like she's done all she could, even in the most serious of situations (of course, she was under a spell). Sometimes we all feel like someone needs us too much that it's overwhelming. The episode is kinda dark, but I still loved it. I also loved how Kathy Mullen called her the Fraggles' Mr. Magoo. When you guys watch "Wonder Mountain" next year, you'll know exactly what episode she's truly referring to.

The one thing I'm shocked they didn't overview in the bonus features was "Sprocket's Big Adventure." I'd say Sprocket getting into Fraggle Rock, and meeting Cotterpin, Marjorie, and Junior along the way, is pretty big don't you?

Also... lots of awesome songs! Get Goin, Sweet Little Treat, Chase The Wind, Whoops Feeling Better, I'm Gonna Be A Star, Fun's No Fun At All, and so many more. Music is just another stand-out this season really has.
  14. Frogster Active Member

Oh... and I'm not afraid to admit this, but I cried with joy when Gerry Parkes was interviewed. I was like... "Ooooooooooh yay!"
  15. TheJimHensonHour New Member

"Boober & The Glob" great episode it was one of my favorites as a kid but looking back over the series now it bothers me that Red acted like she had no idea who Cotterpin was.
  16. heralde Well-Known Member

That's a very good point, I hadn't noticed before. Wembley is an explorer in his own right.

Another thing about the "Mean Genie" episode, the whole hand shaking gag was a nice touch. All throughout the episode the Genie keeps tricking and dissing Wembley. So in the end, we know the Genie has really changed when he's willing to shake hands. That's a great story set up. :)

Also, you notice when they mention the troubled Genie comes from a "broken bottle." Little euphemism for broken home judging from the way they say it. Again, nice touch.

I still need to see "Begony" but it does sound intriguing. Yes sometimes we need to learn how to be firm, even with people we care about.

I watched both "Pebble Pox" and "Wembley's Whoopie Water" today. The latter reminded me of the Global Warming issue. Some argue that we can't hide a very real threat just for our sole benefit. The former was very relevant for me because I too can also be a bit of a germaphobe. It's something you really need to keep in balance, especially when it comes to loved ones. :)

That's true, they really showed a lot of love for the "Poobahs" episode. Anks-thupadad! ;)

And yes the comparison of Mokey to Mr. Magoo was great, lol. Again, I love the detail we get in this set.
  17. Traveling Matt New Member

I’ve finally made my way through most of this set, and I have to say (like everyone else so far) that it’s absolutely wonderful. Everything looks and sounds great, and the bonus features are terrific. Michael Frith’s sketches are the best addition to a Fraggle DVD yet!

HIT continues to do such tremendous work on these season sets. How lucky we are that they are doing the job!

Just like last fall, I think it might be a really nice gesture to send a short note to HIT thanking them for the great Season 3 set, for continuing Fraggle seasons on DVD and to let them know we're all eagerly awaiting an equally great Season 4 set.

HIT Entertainment
    Attn: Consumer Relations (Fraggle Rock SEASON SETS)
    P.O. Box 9000
    Allen, Texas 75013

:)
  18. heralde Well-Known Member

Thanks for the address! Was there an email contact we could use to?
  19. KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Phooey, I still don't have a copy yet. Was gonna buy one from my Wal*Mart, but the dummies aren't carrying it I guess, and it's not on walmart.com either!

I have a gift card with them, otherwise I'd use the link and get one through Amazon & help MC out a little, but low on cash at the moment.

:cry:

I'm glad you all are enjoying yours though! :D
  20. Traveling Matt New Member

It would be really lovely if they did a tribute to Richard Hunt for the final season. FR was the last major project Richard worked on, it was where he started his very brief directing career and his last major Henson character (Junior) plays an important part in the ending of the series.

It would also be great if they reunited Philip Balsam and Dennis Lee for an interview where they might discuss their time on FR writing those beautiful songs!