Your Thoughts: Kermit and the Muppets on Jimmy Kimmel Live

JohnFranklin

Reaction score
NikZane said:
...is Neo *really* the one?
i really hope so because if i have to sit through another boring two hour film filled with nothing but slow fighting and video game effects, then i will murder someone.

NikZane said:
...are Terminator robots *really* coming from the future to destroy, then save, then destroy, then save again, my buddy John & his mom Sarah?
yes. i have been on the ride at universal studios.

NikZane said:
...is transporter & transwarp technology *really* going to become a reality?
it has been for years, remember? we just haven't told the dumb people about it......ooops!

kidding, of course.

jf

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I don't see what everyone's so upset about.
  • Anything Kermit said about sex has few and not all that blunt.
  • He never cursed once the whole week.
I just don't see what's so bad.

RobintheBrave

Reaction score
Hi! I don't post on here much because I don't have time to keep up on all the threads, but I wanted to clarify something. Adult entertainment does not equal sexual humor. Yes, Jim Henson wanted to appeal to adults with the Muppets, but not at the expense of creating something that parents would feel uncomfortable letting their children see. Consider "The Jim Henson Hour." This was a cutting-edge show that experimented with doing new things for television that were inteligent and entertaining. Yet it was still a show that anyone in the family could enjoy. I didn't have a chance to see any of the Kimmel shows, but reading some of the dialoge that was on it really disappoints me. I think it's disturbing to hear Kermit questioning a guy's sexuality. Maybe some people think that's modern comedy, but I don't think comedy is dependent on refering to sex or other body functions. I think the Muppets are selling themselves out cheap if they want to limit themeselves to that kind of humor. They can be hilarious for adults without sex jokes and be a haven for those of us that quickly grow tired of such material.

Just some thoughts,

Robin the Brave

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Robinthebrave, the Muppets have always used a degree of sexual humor. There are plenty of TMS episodes with inuendo in them, if even a small bit. The Raquel Welch episode was full of it. And I'd like to know what Gonzo was thinking hitting on Big Bird in the Leslie Uggams episode! Muppets Tonight was loaded with it.

"Michelle's taking her robe off!"
*Muppets crowd around Michelle Pfeiffer*
"Miss Piggy's taking her robe off!"
*Muppets run away*

"Nice balloons, mind if I play with them later?"
SMACK!

Do I even need to mention Spamela Hamderson?

Frank Oz said it himself! He said Animal revolves around five things, and five things only. Food, SEX, drums, and I forget the other two.

I agree completely with you, however. Sex is not all there is to comedy. People these days think it is, but it isn't. Comedy is to make people laugh, and sex really isn't all that funny anyway. :stick_out_tongue:

Robin

Reaction score
There is room for sexual humor. It has to be smart and suggestive. Not in your face. "So you do Ben?" that would be funny comming from Rizzo or Pepe.

See my whole point is Kermit is who he is, and he would never use fowl language or say anything out of his character. Kermit was a sell out on the Kimmel show. It comes down to strapping Steve to a chair and making him see
how Kermit is supposed to behave, by him watching the Henson Kermit(the real Kermit).

I remember when I was in sixth grade and I discovered I could do a pretty good Mickey Mouse voice so I'd say things like "ha ha Minnie lets go behind the barn
and @#$@. That is funny when your 12 and with your friends. To me it was like Kimmel got his hands on a Kermit puppet and made it say anything he wanted like he was 12 and with his friends. This is why the Muppets are
no longer as successful as they once where. Brian needs to pull this back together and set the ship right again.

I swear, I love sex, and all the humor involved in it. So don't think I'm an uptight prude. I just can't except that comming from Kermit.

Kermit is loving and sacred amongst all muppets. Get as raunchy as you want with muppets you'd expect that from, but by God! Do NOT!!! ruin Kermit!!

CousinLuke

Reaction score
I remember when I was in sixth grade and I discovered I could do a pretty good Mickey Mouse voice so I'd say things like "ha ha Minnie lets go behind the barn and @#$@. That is funny when your 12 and with your friends. To me it was like Kimmel got his hands on a Kermit puppet and made it say anything he wanted like he was 12 and with his friends.
I would hope that you see a difference in ehat you made Mickey say and "So you get to do Ben?" While that is not the cleanest thing he has ever said,He didn't use any profanity that I remember and was still one of the cleanest guests of the week. I would prefer that the obvious sexual diolauge be kept to Pepe and Rizzo and even then at a minimum, but it was okay. I wish he was on a show that appreciated him more and didn't make jokes about Steve controlling Kermit.

Robin

Reaction score
CousinLuke said:
I would hope that you see a difference in ehat you made Mickey say and "So you get to do Ben?" .

Yes, I know the difference... I had to clearly illistrate my thoughts with colorful comparisons that had little to do with reality and everything to do with mind set.

Rizzo, Pepe, and Gonzo could co-host a show and be as funny and as vulgar they want.

I'd love it!!! They have the best chemestry together now that Jim is gone and Frank retired.

AnthonyF3

Reaction score
Wow.

I can't believe this much has been said about the Jimmy Kimmel show.

RobintheBrave

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
I agree completely with you, however. Sex is not all there is to comedy. People these days think it is, but it isn't. Comedy is to make people laugh, and sex really isn't all that funny anyway. :stick_out_tongue:
Hi! Thanks for understanding. Some people might think I'm snobbish for saying what I did, but I'm glad you see my point on that. :big_grin: A few more thoughts, though.

Muppets Tonight! was made after Jim Henson's death and thus not while the Muppets were at their best. As for innuendos on The Muppet Show, I would maintain that they were much, much milder than some of the things Muppets have said lately. TMS innuendos were equivalent to Looney Tunes characters going ga-ga over a picture of a model or something like that and not something that would make a parent uncomfortable if they were watching it with their kids. Finally, I lost a lot of respect for Frank Oz when I heard he would make Yoda curse people out on the set of Episode I.

As for Kermit being more innocent and letting Gonzo, Rizzo, and Pepe be as vulgar as they want, it just makes me think of a server asking me, "How would you like your Muppet humor today, sexual or non-sexual?" I would rather there not be a choice and let it all remain non-sexual. But that's just me. :smile:

Robin the Brave

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Muppets have always reflected the times. They got stuck in a retro rut back in the 90s, but it's good to see they're coming back into the mainstream.