1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Muppets From Space

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by animal86, Jul 30, 2003.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I hate to correct you but they did the memory of Jim on Turtles 2 not 1
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I think it was more of a directing thing than anything else...

Here's an excerpt from the Tough pigs interview with Joey, who wrote part of the movie:

(full interview at http://www.toughpigs.com/blogarchive/2009_02_01_archive.html )

You can really sense how annoying it was... who wouldn't have been. It really seems like the director came in and derailed everything to make it more "realistic." And I wanna bet he was instrumental in getting rid of the musical numbers.

Seeing the film in theaters twice, I felt it was good for what it was... I liked it up until the part where I found out how great it could have been had certain people not meddled in it.

Anyway, anyone else notice that Gonzo's alien brethren go unnamed anyway?
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

You're right. Jim died two months after the first Turtles film. The dedication was in two. The second film was only one year after the first.

I read that article. It's a shame. It is things like that that confirm to me that Disney's current direction is much better than under Henson ownership in the 90s. It just wasn't making the sorts of quality decisions or taking chances that Jim was known for.

Mazzarino's obviously being very gracious in saying that Hill was a "nice guy" and did a "descent" job. It appears he's the reasons that the Muppets looked bored and aimless. I suppose he'd rather have them paint the house, watch TV and check the mail than actually do anything Muppety. It was fun seeing them lounging, but there wasn't anything adjacent to it. Thank frog for Pepe. Without him that movie would have been quite tedious. :rolleyes:
  4. Fluffets

Fluffets New Member

From what I've been reading lately on this thread, it seems when the new director came he must've been like a giant green monster or something! Devouring the muppets and the film and puking out what we have now.:wisdom::o
  5. Drtooth

Oh yeah... I mean, this guy went on to do the Garfield films and the Chipmunks film. The Chipmunks film was fun, enjoyable... had a nice message to it, but it really wasn't a great film. I wonder how much vision the last director lacked that it was such a problem. Wonder why Oz didn't step up and say, "fine! I'll do it, only because we're in a pinch!"

I wonder to what extent the parodies were... something to the extent of VMX, with flying satires and references? Seems they kept a couple references in, like the Men in Black, a modified line from Star Wars, and a couple riffs on Close Encounters. Only thing that really bugs me is that he changed an amazing, depth-filled ending for a flat one.
  6. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Whats interesting is that the movie has been out for years and we are just now finding things out about it. Tim Hill also has done some work on Spongebob, and I think in that he seems to do really well.
  7. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I have a feeling that more of the film would have been IN space and there would have been some Muppet Show feel to it as well. Maybe even some Pigs in Space send-up, original music and a lot more wackiness. Muppets From Space should have been titled Muppets Floss, Eat, Watch Some Television, Mow the Lawn and then Meet Some Aliens at the End. :o
  8. Drtooth

You forgot Muppets check the mail and Muppets do brief reference to Get Smart. :D

Someone should have told the director that there is a difference between realistic and mundane. I liked the idea of the Muppet boarding house and all, but the film spent too much time there.