1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by Phillip, Dec 17, 2008.

?

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

I loved "Letters to Santa". 74 vote(s) 40.2%
"Letters to Santa" was good. 70 vote(s) 38.0%
"Letters to Santa" was just so-so. 27 vote(s) 14.7%
I disliked "Letters to Santa". 13 vote(s) 7.1%

1. Libba Yuki Member

The whole special felt like it should have taken place on SS with the SS characters instead of Kermit and his crazy crew.

I thought it was cute, but again...too kiddy for my tastes. I'm hoping to warm up to it more upon furthur viewings.

There wasn't really much interaction between the two in MFS, sadly. However, I agree that it was great to see these two have a scene together. In fact, it was great to see the best friends trio (Gonzo/Fozzie/Kermit) back together in this.

I never really thought much of it until this special with the slight hints, same deal with Dumbledore. Love them both regardless!
  2. JJandJanice Active Member

Like I said I would of loved to see Scooter and Rowlf join the gang in getting to the North Pole.

Another thing is (maybe this is just me) but Statlor and Waldorf didn't come off as funny in this, just somewhat corny. Like there jokes were even worse than Fozzie's jokes.

The thing with Pepe singing at the end though was also cheesey.
  3. Ilikemuppets New Member

Didn't see the special, but from what I'm reading it sounds to me like The Muppets are headed in the right direction!
  4. heralde Well-Known Member

It looks like most people are saying it was good, could have been better but had some nice moments. Definitely wasn't their worst nightmare. ;)
  5. ryhoyarbie Active Member

I think the problem over all is that there isn't enough time to do that much with about 43-45 minutes worth of screen time. Had this been a 2 hour special, then I would have expected the special to be better with more characters doing what not and such.

I liked that Gonzo felt he was responsible and had to make things right.

But I did miss seeing characters like Clifford, Johnny, and Sal. I don't know how involved Brian Henson was in the film and I can probably guess Kevin Clash was busy with Sesame Street.

This is the second christmas special in 6 years not to feature Clifford!
  6. TripleG New Member

I enjoyed it. It was cute. It was certainly better than Muppets from Space & Wizard of Oz.

- I liked how they made an effort to incorporate alot of the older Muppets who haven't had a chance to shine in a long time. Rowlf, Scooter, Dr. Teeth, Janice, & one of my all time favorites CRAZY HARRY (I went nuts when I saw him!) all had speaking roles which is something they haven't had in a long time. They also included Statler & Waldorf (loved the Silent Night joke), Swedish Chef, Sam the Eagle, Sweetums, and all my old favorites of the supporting cast.

- I'm going to say this: Bobo is hysterical. He was one of my favorite parts of Muppets from Space, and I loved him here. He's becoming a favorite of mine. I've also come to accept Pepe as part of the main cast.

- I liked this this was kind of a return to form in some ways. The last few Muppet adventures that I've seen centered more on Gonzo & Rizzo, but this one seemed to reestablish Kermit, Fozzie, & Gonzo as the main trio like they were in The Great Muppet Caper (my personal favorite). Gonzo was particularly cute. We also got Sam making a special public service message, Scooter was running around calling Kermit chief & being a gopher, even a Muppet Labs segment (sort of)

- I really liked Uma Thurman & Nathan Lane's cameos. I loved them in The Producers, so I'm kind of high on them. Nathan Lane's interrogation bit with Bobo, Kermit, Gonzo, Fozzie, Rizzo, & Pepe. That was probably the funniest part of the whole thing.

- The songs were alright. Nothing too memorable, but nothing bad either.

So overall it was nothing special or grand, but it was funny and cute, and thats all I was expecting. I didn't see the last Christmas special they did so I can't really compare it, but I'd say this is the best Muppet movie/special I've seen since Muppet Treasure Island. The Best Muppet Christmas special is still Muppet Family Christmas from 1987, but this was a welcomed effort from the Muppet crew.
  7. heralde Well-Known Member

I did like that very much. It's an inspiration; it's never too late to make things right if you care. :)

And I did like the "What happened at the post office" bit with Fozzie, lol.
  8. Ilikemuppets New Member

That's true. But Kevin did have a few lines for Sam that he did in post production. But it is too bad none of those characters couldn't be there. Brian was also in the last special as well.
  9. dabauckham Member

Like many have said before, I really enjoyed this special. It was a bit condensed, and certain plot points were a little rushed (I thought that it would have been more effective if there was more reflecting time before Kermit made up his mind to go to the North pole - it was a little abrupt). However, the spirit and soul of the Muppets was there in a way that it hasn't been since (in my opinion) The Muppet Christmas Carol. The last scene was AWESOME! (in a weird way it reminded me of the last scene from Labyrinth when all of Sarah's friends just show up in her bedroom when she misses them!).

I also thought there was enough adult humor thrown in there to stop the show from being too kiddy. And Nathan Lane and Bobo? What can I say, fricking HILARIOUS! In my opinion, they stole the show!

Really, though, I though everyone was great (from human to chicken ;)

Great work, guys, keep it up...
  10. houseofjust New Member

Letter to Santa

:)I work as a Letter Carrier in Denver and I am a BIG Muppet/Kermit fan. This special was better then anything Disney tried with DC Almost Live. Just having the whole gang back together doing what Kermit and company do best was a very long awaited welcome to me. I say Hi Ho and thanks for the Christmas gift. More More! Gary
  11. ryhoyarbie Active Member

Fozzie had a lapse in memory! He had "Zoot-itess" where you forget recent things!
  12. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well i really can't see what people are saying. I really thought that the story had a whole lot of heart. I also thought that Gonzo and fozzie's song was just wonderful!
  13. pattywack New Member

I don't think anyone saw my message, I was just wondering how the swedish chef did? In Studio DC I was SO dissapointed, I thought he was so off!

So glad to hear Rowlf was in this special more than usual, I've missed him so much!
  14. Baby Gonzo Member

I enjoyed this. I really did. But it sort of made me think what's been missing from the Muppets even since MCC or rather, since Jim Henson passed away.

It was great to see the Muppets all in one place. I had a problem with some elements of the story, but it was sweet. I just felt disconnected, I suppose. There was a goal, but there was also a level of "Why should I care?". I just didn't have a reason to care about the girl and her mom. I wanted to, but it was missing something. Maybe an element of urgency or a deeper meaning. Not something like "Oh, we have to get these leters from terminally ill kids to Santa!" but something to make me care. I think that if there were some fixes with the story, everything would have fallen into place nicely.

This special was really sweet and almost-touching, but the Muppets just don't seem to have that natural connection and warmth that they really had when Jim was here. And sadly, I don't ever think that feeling will ever be captured again. Perhaps that's fitting though. When Jim Henson passed away, the world lost something really special and I don't think I really want to see the Muppets go on without him. Does that make any sense? I know that probably sounds weird. No, I'm not trying to say the Muppets should top making new things, but I really feel as though I need to stop judging new projects with the old projects. I mean, the spirt needs to be there and the Muppets need to be Muppets... But it will never be the same without Jim.

(Sorry. I really don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer) Okay, back on the subject:

It was great to see Kermit, Fozzie, and Gonzo together in a sort of GMC style. Perhaps it was because Gonzo was carrying most of the weight of the problem, but Kermit came off as being a bit more mellow and Kermit-like, which was nice in comparison to the more excited Kermit we've been seeing lately. Nathan Lane and Bobo were hilarious! I couldn't help but to laugh out loud! Did Bobo's eyes seem large to anyone else? As far as the other guest stars... I didn't really connect with them at all. They were very throw away and could have just as well have not been there.

Unfortuantly, though I was trying to give this special my undevided attention, I was somewhat distracted while watching it. I probably need to watch it again to have a proper opinion. This is something that I would love to see again and would buy on DVD.
  15. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Personaly i thought Chef did really well! Trying to make a Sweetish Pizza!
  16. JJandJanice Active Member

Me personally I don't have anything against thoes characters, I kind of like them, but I don't really miss them. That's just me

I totally agree it did have heart. That song with Fozzie and Gonzo was awesome too. I love the friendship Gonzo and Fozzie displayed in this special. It was nice to see more interaction between Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo as a trio, rather than just Kermit and Fozzie or Kermit and Gonzo. I love to have the MP3 for that song.
  17. mbmfrog Active Member

I must say I was surprised to see the show focusing on :concern:, but it worked overall as he showed himself to be a good dedicated friend. I also Love the song between him and Fozzie.

Overall the jokes were bad, but the songs were great. I truly did enjoy the :eek:'s wish moment as that was kind of funny and was touched by :rolleyes:'s wish getting granted.

Still it was great to see the Muppet gang together and it was heartfelt at the end of the story.

I trulyd did enjoyed it.
  18. AAO Member

Swedish Chef was done well.

Oh and Clifford... well, funny because on imdb it shows that him and Sal are in it... but they're nowhere to be found. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that they were in it but were cut out and if it comes out on DVD you can see them in the deleted features. I can see why Clifford was cut out of IAVMMCM ... He was never apart of the theater.. neither was Sal or Johnny, OR PEPE! But it could seem that Clifford was "too cool" for live theater... he's a tv personality.. HAHA!
  19. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I also really liked the Kermit Piggy story. I think it could have played out a little more, and maybe on the DVD it will. I like the fact that Kermit really wanted to go with Piggy, but really knew that doing the right thing should come first.

For the Little girl I could really relate to her, and thought she was really touching.

Did anyone eles like that at the very first where they where showing the credits and on each letters had a Muppet Stamp. I thought that was a nice touch.

Who else was glad to see Floyd and Robin talk with some nice long lines?
  20. heralde Well-Known Member

I understand, I mean I don't think it will ever be as good as it once was. If something's classic, by its nature it can't be easily repeated. If it could, it wouldn't be as special. :)