Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

Quazimoto

Reaction score
I'm guessing the DVD would be released next Christmas time. I hope they would also release The John Denver & Muppets Christmas Together special on DVD too!
I actually have that special... Could use a new copy of Rocky Mountain Holiday (unedited) as mine is kinda poor ...But that's pretty well what I figured for Letters To Santa. The wait shall be excutiating, knowing there's a really good Muppet special I don't have... Grrr...

Muppet Loverr

Reaction score
Does anyone les agree with me, when i say, Eric's puppeteering of Piggy was REALLY REALLY GOOD. He did more with facial expressions, that he normaly doesnt do (http://i44.tinypic.com/akaiqt.png example)
Maybe that Piggy puppet is more easy to use.

pattywack

Reaction score
it was just that one scene, and i didnt have an issue with his voice
in the rest of the special he seemed fine even the best scooter so far
Really? Well clearly I had a different opinion =] Except, as I said before, I didn't have a problem with his voice either.
I still remain extremely positive about the special though, and I know Scooter will get better in time.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Does anyone les agree with me, when i say, Eric's puppeteering of Piggy was REALLY REALLY GOOD. He did more with facial expressions, that he normaly doesnt do (http://i44.tinypic.com/akaiqt.png example)
Maybe that Piggy puppet is more easy to use.
Eric did a wonderful job with both Piggy and Fozzie and Sam. his Fozzie was spot on and really did almost sound like Frank. It was almost creepy, but in a good way.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
heralde said:
I get what you're saying. Personally I just think it's a comment on society in general. In the '70s women's lib was very big and a strong, spunky, humorously (but harmlessly) overbearing female like Miss Piggy was very fashionable. Nowadays, pop culture likes to bring women down and make them look like annoying divas.
It's not just that. When even Gloria Steinem (sp?) can get married after years of telling us women that men were superfluous, feminism really shot itself in the foot. I'm a moderate feminist and went with my mom to her Women's Studies class, and I must say the NOW people were strange and possibly delusional. You were ridiculed if you didn't demonize men. And that was in the 90s. I think Piggy was overbearing because she needed to defend, not women, but her own sense of worth. However, with Kermit not acting like a jerk so much anymore and the rest (at least per VMX) of the Muppets finally understanding they need her, she can afford to mellow a bit. Would we rather go back to everyone despising Piggy?

Muppetfan44 said:
Now, back to the special itself. I did think that the whole NY apartment resembled SS a little bit but I think they did that for a reason. They are trying to connect the classic Muppets to something kids already know and love; they're trying to put a little of that SS feel into the Classic Muppets so that kids can learn to love them as much as they love the SS characters. I think it's a good psychological move on the creators' part and in terms of building up the Muppets fan base, i think it will pay off in the long run.
Now that you mention it, it DOES make a lot of sense. After all, they used to be in the same universe anyway.

Someone said that Sam the Eagle needed some work but I thought he was awesome. He sounded and looked just like the Sam from the later seasons of The Muppet Show I thought
Yeah, he was a lot more accurate than in VMX.

Claire and her mom were cute, but I do think there should of been more about who they were and why they were living in an apartment building with a bunch of Muppets. I do also agree that the storyline lacked that sense of urgency
Oh, but it DID have a sense of urgency -- I felt like I wanted to strangle the little whiner for not being happy she lived with the MUPPETS 24/7! :big_grin:

Ilikemuppets said:
And I though that Miss Piggy was out of character. She wouldn't have been so selfish and she would have helped her friends out, too.
You mean like in TMM, where she ditches a romantic evening to talk to her agent? Or how about GMC, where she lies and runs off when discovered? Or VMX, where she leaves because she isn't going to get paid at the theater? Not putting up with "being shown her place" (so to speak) and leaving to pamper her own pride IS in character.

Scooter needs a little work in the voice department, but I believe David will hit the nail on the mark.
Yeah, it just needs some deepening maybe and a smidge more consistency, is all.

Daffyfan2003 said:
I do agree with whoever said it was out of character for Gonzo to not like flying like that when he usually enjoys doing daring stunts.
To be fair, he was getting more and more depressed about Claire.

prawnie said:
What MORE do you want him to do? Wield a sword and deliver the monologue from Braveheart?
ROFL!

I got the impression that they finally paid her... even if it was in cashews. I hope they paid her, anyway, don't wanna upset the Boss.
I can also imagine that the Boss just poofed them there.

matleo

Reaction score
I found Scooter really odd too! It wasn't just his voice, but the way he was position, something was really irking me! I hope they work on that.

Yeah, in the first scene he's in, he floated a lot. Like he couldn't find a good place to be in the frame where he wasn't blocked or wouldn't be blocked. Bugged me too and was a little distracting to the scene.

--Matt

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
No. I mean like in MFC where she was going to do her own thing, but was not to big to help her friends out when they were in need... Not to big to get out in the mud and push.
So, there's one example ... in a heartwarming Xmas special, no less. Here's the thing ... she had already done her photo-shoot before she left for the farmhouse. It was the priority, or she would have gone with the others in the truck. I admire Piggy's personality. I understand that she's willing to go the distance ... but her job comes first. This is really the first time I've seen Piggy NOT leave ... though it's unclear because they didn't really show what made everyone change their minds. I personally don't think she went at all. Her hair was in a different style and if she was "tanned" at all ... you can get that done in a tanning salon. Yes, Piggy can do the right thing, but you have to guilt-trip her first.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
My little review is just as what many people said, it's was great! I don't feel i can give it a letter grade though.
Sometimes fans can pick things to pieces of what was "wished, or wanted, or hoped, or what should have been done". but i just have to say that this special was a just what it was meant to be for me. of course we always want more, but that's a good thing!

I loved the use of Statler and Waldorf and felt that was one of the best uses of them in a while, Chef got more air time then just a one time cameo in the show like he did in some movies. Sam, Crazy Harry, Sweetums and Lew Zeland were great! and all with speaking lines or had a part of a song! I was so happy to see Rowlf get a part in a song. Robin was wonderful to see and yes it is hard to hear him with a new voice for the first time but this is how a character lives on and continues and happens to everything and everyone over time. It doesn't mean that that's his permanent voice now, we saw how Scooter has had many in the past years, i prefer Ricky Boyds but it was still great seeing and hearing scooter and just like Kermit with Steve and Fozzie and Piggy with Eric, I sure more Muppet voices will grow with the performers as well.

So i was very impressed with the special and hope to see more work like this in the future! :smile:

tinweirdo

Reaction score
First thing I want to say is this is the best Muppet telemovie we've seen since Disney bought Kermit and Company. I was glas Paul Willliams wrote the songs cause I missed his songs. The others from Merry muppet christmas, and Oz were catchy but they lacked that certain heartfelt magic that Paul Williams songs would give you. My favorite song was "I wish I could be Santa Clause." We haven't seen that friendship of Fozzie and Gonzo in some time and it was a perfect choice. Whoever was complaining about not having enough choas in it what about the post office scene. Gonzo did seem to be the focal character in the movie but it worked. When I saw Scooter, Rowlf and Robin sing and talk I had a small caniption. I for one hope David Rudman stays on as Scooter. I always though he should play Scooter because he play the two headed monster on SS and he has a similar voice to Richard Hunt. I was a little hesitant when Eric Jacobson took over for Frank OZ but I've slowly shifting my gravity over to his performance because Fozzie Bear is my favorite character. I know now that those charcters are in very good hands. His Sam the eagle sounded perfect on "letters to Santa: actually all his characters sounded spot on. Like many of you I thibk it was too short and too many "BLOODY" commercials. But with this movie to me THE MUPPETS ARE BACK BABY! WHOOO (INSANE LAUGHTER, EXPLOSION!)