Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Actually, he first appeared in season 6. Season 5 is included here (the booklet mistakenly says that Matt Robinson left the show in 1971 and that Hal Miller left in 1974). That would be one good thing about the next set focusing on the next five years (if it happens), being that the more familiar Gordon will be included.
But Roscoe Orman's page on IMDB also says he started in 1974, just like the booklet. I just assumed he came on later in season 4?

minor muppetz said:
There is a thread in the Sesame Merchandise thread that mentions what skits are in various Sesame Street videos, if you're more interested in knowing what has been reelased on video.
Since I don't have any other SS DVDs (I have the VHS of Elmo says BOO [for the Count's sake] and The Best of Kermit, but that's it). I'd rather spend money on a box set that has many classic cuts instead of various DVDs that have maybe a few different ones than I already have, or ones that would repeat on other DVDs. Right now I'm just on a SS high because this is the first DVD of the show I've gotten, and so many great classic cuts.

minor muppetz said:
I think its weirder that Ernie is naked out of the tub after his bath when Bert is in the room. Sure, he's not seen below the waist, so it's hard to tell if he's wearing pants, underwear, or a towel, but it's especially hard to tell if he's wearing a towel around his waist, since he was drying himself with a towel that obviously wasn't covering him.
Oh yeah, I couldn't believe it when he just got out of the tub and was right in front of the camera. ! lol

minor muppetz said:
How is this an inside joke?
Well not in the shows themselves, I just meant among us fans. Especially fans like me who have never heard of the song outside of these two Muppet performances. Just a very ironic yet cool little detail.

minor muppetz said:
Same here. I would have liked to have seen one of his skits where he was performed by Caroll Spinney instead of Frank Oz, or the sketch where he attempted to sell a snowman (not very many people here seem to remember seeing it). I also would have liekd to have seen The Goldne An, in addition to his regular encounters with Ernie.
Was Lefty performed by CS often? I remember the FO voice so well...I do remember the Golden An sketch.

minor muppetz said:
Who doesn't? Actually, I thought that the classic cuts for season two and four were too short, while one, three, and five were all long. The season three classic cuts seems to have the most skits, and the most skits that I remember seeing as a child. Season two especially should have had a few more skits. It only had one Muppet skit (not counting Oscar's cameo in the counting to 20 skit), and most of the season two classic cuts are forgettable. I was hoping for Mad, a Roosevelt Franklin skit, and a season two Ernie and Bert or Herbert Birdsfoot skit (and some more Herry) for the seaosn two classic cuts.
Oh I remember now...I was thinking one of them was kind of sparse because the classic cuts were only on one "screen"---season 4 I guess it is has 2 screens, but there are only 2 cuts I believe on the 2nd screen.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Was Lefty performed by CS often? I remember the FO voice so well...I do remember the Golden An sketch.
No. Spinney performed Lefty in at least two first season sketches, one where he holds a sign with the letter P while Ernie holds an R sign, and the sketch where Lefty attempted to sell Ernie a U. I don't know if Spinney ever performed Lefty any other times.

fatblue

Reaction score
The DVD set is ok, I really wanted to see more early skits from '69 and more SS characters of the early days. I mean, where was 'Green' Grover, Beautiful Day Monster and others? Well, hopefully they will release another series on DVD in the future with more skits and maybe a few more original shows than what was on here, but it's still a good set for us that remember the golden SS days.

LadyVader

Reaction score
I don't think were going to see a Vol. 2. A lot of retailers didn't carry it in there stores because the were told that it was ment for adults and not kids. thats why i think a alot of stores only sold it on there web sites.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
I think using the title "Sesame Street: Old School (1969-1974)" means there will be a season 2. If they had simply gone with "Sesame Street: Old School" with no dates, it would seem more like that were a testing set. But I have a feeling a 1974-1979 set will be in the works---and I sure hope so.

And I'm surprised the stores were told it was for adults and not kids. I mean, it's "Sesame Street" for crying out loud, lol. Sure it may be targeted more for nostalgia, but kids can still enjoy them and learn from them a lot.

Davina

Reaction score
i've only seen it in 1 store up here in Alaska (Best Buy) and wasn't able to pick it up at that time due to financial constraints.. (have to go back and hope it's still there.. they only had 2 copies...*sigh*) we've asked about it at every WalMart and Fred Meyer location in the area, and they have no idea if or when they'll ever get it,, most of them didn't even know it was out.. has been very disappointing...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
I think using the title "Sesame Street: Old School (1969-1974)" means there will be a season 2. If they had simply gone with "Sesame Street: Old School" with no dates, it would seem more like that were a testing set. But I have a feeling a 1974-1979 set will be in the works---and I sure hope so.
It seems a bit hard to tell. The 1969-1974 part is written before the volume 1 part, instead of after. It could have said Old School Volume 1: 1969-1974, instead. Of course, it also could have said Volume 1: The First Five Premiers, to give us an idea of whether the next set will be more premiers or if the sets in general will have different themes (a three-disc set with all six of the hawia episodes would be good).

mikebennidict

Reaction score
LadyVader said:
I don't think were going to see a Vol. 2. A lot of retailers didn't carry it in there stores because the were told that it was ment for adults and not kids. thats why i think a alot of stores only sold it on there web sites.
why would they not carry it because of that? That doesn't make any sense.

Davina

Reaction score
OOh.. good news for anyone (like me..) who has had trouble finding these locally... Deep discount dvd has it on sale right now for like $24

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=SON000102

not a bad deal.. (we've ordered a few things from them in the past and haven't had any complaints..) figured I'd let everyone else know too.. :smile: