Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

Censored

Reaction score
Also, I had to laugh at the disclaimer they put on the DVD that it might not be appropriate for kids. I know I'm paraphrasing, but there were words to that effect. At first I thought they were going to make a joke out of it, but then I realized that they were serious. The funny thing is that, although the DVD combination may not have been created for children, every single episode and skit from those old shows were in fact originally intended for children. It was good for them back then, but may not be today. Odd. But heck, if that's what it takes to get all of the old episodes re-released, they can put a triple X rating on them for all I care, as long as they make them available to the public. :smile:

Marky

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Also, I had to laugh at the disclaimer they put on the DVD that it might not be appropriate for kids. I know I'm paraphrasing, but there were words to that effect. At first I thought they were going to make a joke out of it, but then I realized that they were serious. The funny thing is that, although the DVD combination may not have been created for children, every single episode and skit from those old shows were in fact originally intended for children. It was good for them back then, but may not be today. Odd. But heck, if that's what it takes to get all of the old episodes re-released, they can put a triple X rating on them for all I care, as long as they make them available to the public. :smile:
Political Correctness is a dangerous thing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, I really do not buy that today's children can't appreciate older entertainment, especially when it is often better than what they have now.

And it's not just because I'm partial to classic Sesame Street because I grew up with it. I enjoy several kid's shows that are on today, if they are quality.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
well i got my SS Old School dvd in (along with World acroding to SS) I watched ALL of Disc 1 (exp for a few clips in the bonus segments) and i REALLY enjoyed the "Sales Pitch" with Kermit and Rowlf, Disc 2 was good (both eps on the dvd) i didnt like Snuffys ugly green eyes tho! :stick_out_tongue: kinda creepy! hehe :smirk: disc 3 I watched the 1st ep on that disc so far... I loved with Bob, Ernie, Bert and a few kids where in a segment and Bob was talking about when people sleep and stuff the little girl keeped on touching Bert! lol....

Marky

Reaction score
heralde said:
I agree, I really do not buy that today's children can't appreciate older entertainment, especially when it is often better than what they have now.

And it's not just because I'm partial to classic Sesame Street because I grew up with it. I enjoy several kid's shows that are on today, if they are quality.
I'm not sure it's an issue of today's kids not liking the older stuff at all. It's just retor-active censoring as the paranoid P.C. weenies are in charge of kids viewing now.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's true, I think I said before that there's too much emphasis on "protecting" kids from things.

Davina

Reaction score
There is also (sadly) a major "opinion" that children, "due to their limited attention spans," can't tolerated the longer segments that they used to have.. which is why the current shows have such short plots and story segments (and yet we can allow 20 minutes for Elmo's World???)
I personally think this is rubbish.. yes they have shorter attention spans.. but they never learn to focus and develop longer ones if you don't stretch them a bit.. and (i feel) catoring to this short attention span theory is part of why there are so many kids now who get classed as ADD and/or have problems focusing on anything that takes longer then a few minutes to do...
I mean, yes, there are some kids who are'nt going to take to it.. my sister and i, for example.. mom would turn on Sesame Street and I would be immediately facsinated and sit quietly through the entire episode (mid-70's..) and my sister, who is just a year younger then I am, never took to it at all and would wander off to do something else. When I used to babysit, SS was part of our regular, daily schedule.. and when I married my hubby 4 years ago.. on those occasions when his 4 year old daughter was with us, she watched it every day as well.. And I freely admit, that I, at 33, watch it when I can as well.. :smile:

Censored

Reaction score
heralde said:
That's true, I think I said before that there's too much emphasis on "protecting" kids from things.

I'm all for protecting kids, but when it comes to the old Sesame Street episodes, I have to ask, "What exactly are the kids being protected from?"

:confused:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
In this case, it seems to be protecting them from being confused about the differences between old and new Sesame Street. Which I do think most kids get over quickly. I mean there were changes on Sesame Street before that kids must have noticed. Like characters changing actors or puppets changing their appearance.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I think that fear wasn't drilled into people quite as much in the 70's and some things, like taking a photo of your child on holiday in a bathing suit, was much more acceptible than it is nowadays. I did notice when watching the DVD that a few of the things, like the kids showing "over and under" on a work site, wouldn't be allowed on new pre-school TV programs.