1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Phillip, Oct 21, 2006.

1. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Wow, that's interesting, I didn't know about that character. So they were trying to have an Hispanic slant all along.
  2. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

Thanks for sharing that info, jeffkoe! That is really interesting. Here's the info I found on muppet wiki, if anyone's interested:

Jaime Sánchez (b. 1938) played Miguel in the second season of Sesame Street. Sánchez was the first Latino cast member on the show. He left the show after one season, and in Season 3, three more Latino cast members were added -- Sonia Manzano, Emilio Delgado and Raúl Juliá.
    Sánchez has also appeared in Bonanza, Miami Vice and Law & Order. He recently appeared in the 2005 film Carlito's Way: Rise to Power.
  3. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

What I'd like to know is, if anyone can help... Who played the other early Hispanic human on the street, Mr. Ortiz?
  4. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

If Miguel was on the show in the secodn season, then I guess Sesame Street Unpaved and the Old School booklet were both wrong about Luis being the first human cast member to have been added to the cast. Yes, I know that several characters debuted in the same episode with him, but I figured that he was hired first.

Of course, at Muppet Wiki, there is info on a second season episode that mentions a Maria character in it.
  5. minor muppetz

If the episode where the adults explain Mr. Hooper's death to Big Bird gets included in a future Old School set, I wonder if the animated Bob will introduce the episode. All of Bob's introductions on the first set were meant to be humorous, but I don't think it would be in good taste for Sesame Workshop to allow for Bob to be humorous when introducing the episode about Mr. Hooper's death, and it would be weird to see Bob be serious, and it might also be tasteless for him to be over-dramatic on such an issue as Hooper's death. I think for that episode, it would be better for there to be a live-action introduction, perhaps by Joan Ganz Cooney, Loretta Long, Bob McGraph, Roscoe Orman, Caroll Spinney, or somebody else who knew Will Lee.
  6. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

I've been watching the episodes and loving it but one thing caught my eye the other night. Episode 406 has the song "Dee Dee Dee" in but at the very end of the song it cuts right after it's done. Cookie Monster is spoused to faint over but it doesn't. It goes right to the next segment. Is that a mess up or did this episode air on Noggin and they cut that part out?
  7. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

Hmmm... that's a good question. Are you sure that Cookie is supposed to faint tho and not just look around confused, as he does on SS old school? (I only ask because I'm not familiar with any other version of this).
  8. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

The only reason is theres a video of this from a Sesame Street Video. I think "The Alphabet Game" is the one that has the song. But in it Cookie at the end falls down after having to keep up with Ernie.

Here take a look
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbEXHXqNeTc
  9. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

Oh yeah, I see what you mean, Kyle. I guess I don't have an answer tho. Sorry! Maybe some other non-newbie MC member would know. ;)
  10. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Thanks anyways Baukham.
  11. minor muppetz

Muppet Wiki's page for this episopde doesn't mention the edit for either Old School or Noggin. I hope somebody can say whether it was edited this way on Noggin. However, I don't think Noggin's master tapes were used (Noggin cut more from each episode than the DVD set did). It's possible that this sketch (and the ending of the sketch where Ernie counted to 10 in the second season premier) was originally edited when the episode was broadcast (perhaps cut for time), and therefore it's presented this way. I can't remember if Cookie Monster's faint was cut on the Do the Alphabet video. However, this DVD set does include other faints. In the same episode, Fat Blue faints at the end of the Grover the Waiter sketch, and one of the bonus sketches is Over, Under, Around, and Through, which ends with Grover fainting (and since it's a bonus sketch, Sesame Workshop chose to include it).

Also, while not a faint, Sesame Workshop chose to replace one skit in episode 536 with the sketch where Grover does chin-ups, which ends with him falling off a stairway, which seems like a faint, but more dangerous than how Cookie Monster fainted (though Grover's fall happened off-screen). And Sesame Workshop has released Sesame Street DVDs recently with fainting scenes. The 2004 DVD release A Celebration of Me, Grover! has Grover fainting in Ove,r Under, Around, and Through and ABC Disco, and I think Fat Blue faints twice in that DVD.
  12. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Thanks but you did watch the video I posted?
  13. minor muppetz

No, I didn'. I already have copies of both The Alphabet Game and Old School Vol. 1, so why would I need to watch a video clip of something I already have (especially if I have two copies of the same clip)?
  14. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

This isn't rocket science, nor is it censorship

Learn this term: POST ROLL. It's the camera still rolling after the skit is done, capturing the activity that happens after the most important parts of the script - extra dialogue, extension of a song, the puppeteers fooling around, etc.. Sometimes it's shown in episodes, other times it's not (it's often shown in foreign countries). It depends on the editor's choice. This is the case with "Dee Dee Dee," "E&B: The world's greatest counter" and several others.

Likewise, PRE ROLL is the camera rolling before the skit begins.
  15. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

So then you do know that in "The Alphabet Game" video that Cookie Monster does faint at the end of the song but in the Old School DVD that it cuts away from that part.

Would you mind putting that in lamina terms Boobergorg?
  16. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I had noticed the cutting before, but I didn't know about the Post Roll term, thanks!
  17. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

This makes a lot of sense to me, BooberGorg. It's like some of those post-rolls shown in Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, where Frank Oz is just fooling around between takes... makes sense that some broadcasts might choose to show this post roll stuff while others wouldn't, depending on time, style, etc.
  18. minor muppetz

For these Old School releases, I wonder if Sesame Workshop remasters everything from the episodes, or if whenever a sketch is repeated, Sesame Workshop just remasters the sketch the first time it's released on a set, and then puts the remastered version in all episodes. I hope that's not the case, because then any cut sketches might get cut in future releeases of episodes featuring uncut versions of the cut skits.
  19. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I know that they always seem to keep the Camera rolling when ever Frank Oz is preforming because he always does or says something funny afterwards.
  20. minor muppetz

I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a bonus feature that's just a clip montage of characters fainting. I know that the opening clip montage from Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting featured a few clips of characters fainting during the middle of the clip montage, but it would be funny to see as much fainting as possible. Oddly enough, I was thinking about this recently, and I realised that, beside the sketch where Cookie Monster dresses as Ernie and eats Bert's cookies (where Ernie also faints), I can't think of any sketches where Bert fainted off-hand, even though I remember seeing Bert faint alot when I was a child. What sketches has he fainted in? I can't remember if he fainted in the sketch where Ernie wanted him to pretend that he was mad or if he just acted very stressed out. I have afeeling that he might have fainted in the sketch where Ernie has an important note for Bert, and messes up the apartment while trying to find it, and then Ernie finds the note, which reads "Dear Bert, today is your day to clean the apartment, from Ernie". But I don't ever remember seeing that sketch.

Anyway, this would make a good fainting montage:
    Grover faints (from the original first and last sketch)
    Grover faints (from the near and far sketch)
    Ernie and Bert faint (from the sketch where Cookie Monster dresses as Ernie)
    Kermit faints (from the sketch where Kermit wants a personalized t-shirt)
    Bert faints
    Cookie Monster faints (from Dee, Dee, Dee)
    Fat Blue faints (from the sketch where Grover forgets to give Fat Blue a spoon)
    Bert faints
    Grover faints (from Monsterpiece Theater: Chariots of Fur)
    The Two-Headed Monster faints (from sketch where the monster sees a cardboard cut-out of itself)
    Bert faints