Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Although I wish the DVD set had included episodes that were not shown on Noggin (or at the very least, unedited episodes from Noggin), the bonus material well made up for any disappointments.
These were mostly unedited Noggin episodes. Yes, there are two episodes known to be edited, but the edits that we do know of were shown on Noggin. If volume two focuses on the same time period, then I hope it includes episodes that were not shown on Noggin, such as the second episode (or another episode from the very first week of the show). Then again, if they were all episodes not shown on Noggin, then it would be hard for us to know if there are any edits.

Censored

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
These were mostly unedited Noggin episodes. Yes, there are two episodes known to be edited, but the edits that we do know of were shown on Noggin. If volume two focuses on the same time period, then I hope it includes episodes that were not shown on Noggin, such as the second episode (or another episode from the very first week of the show). Then again, if they were all episodes not shown on Noggin, then it would be hard for us to know if there are any edits.
There were at least two skits on the DVD set that edited things that were shown on Noggin. Gordon singing to the Anything Muppets and Stevie Wonder singing. The reasons, from what I've heard on here, were copyright issues.

janicerulz

Reaction score
Thanks to eveyone who pointed me to Borders. I got my DVD and I completely and totally LOVE LOVE LOVE it. We watched the first 2 discs , and I cannot believe all the stuff that's on it. It's amazing. My favorites are Springtime and the Tea Party w/the cats.

Loved that Raul Julia was on. Snuffy with the green eyes was scary. Big Bird 1969 was a littlle weird looking (so was Orange oscar). And of course I LOVED seeing Mr. Looper, er, Hooper again.

But I have one question for you guys -- who is the actor in the sketch w/Stockard Channing? It's the segment in the park with the guy who's painting numbers on bread. I thought it was the British guy from the Jeffersons, but I wasn't sure. Thanks!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
janicerulz said:
But I have one question for you guys -- who is the actor in the sketch w/Stockard Channing? It's the segment in the park with the guy who's painting numbers on bread. I thought it was the British guy from the Jeffersons, but I wasn't sure. Thanks!
It is Paul Benedict, who played the british neighbor on The Jeffersons.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just realised.... if volume 2 is more of the first five years, we would have a 660-8 chance of getting episodes that were not shown on Noggin. There were 665 episodes from the first five seasons, and 13 episodes from the first five seasons shown on Noggin. Five episodes from both category were on volume 1, so there are 8 episodes that were shown on Noggin that were not released. And if volume 2 is more of the first five years and one episode per season, then I'd gurantee that we'd get at least one episode not shown on Noggin, since Noggin only showed one episode from the fifth season, and the other episode from the foruth season prominently showed Stevie Wonder who was cut from one of the episodes on the set. I don't know if we would have better chances of getting his episode on the next set (we don't know if he charged too much for 123 Sesame Street or if he wanted too much for his on-screen residuals, or both, or if he didn't want to license or get residuals).

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Hmm, my thinking would be that for each (hopefully there will be more!) box set, it will be separate years. Calling it "Sesame Street: Old School (1969-1974)" just sounds naturally to me that the next volume would be called "Sesame Street: Old School (1974-1979)". Of course I don't know that for sure, but it's just what it seems like it would be to me...otherwise I would have thought they'd add "Volume 1" after the dates for this set, but I realize this is tricky because this is the very first set released, so kind of a "testing the waters" kind of thing. I guess we'll find out.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Okay, time for my gushings.

Oh man...I had a "Street-a-thon" Saturday night and finished it Sunday night (I would've done it all in one sitting but I had to get some sleep for work), and I am just completely in love with the magic of Henson and the CTW that is "Sesame Street". *sigh*...

Really!

I am!

:flirt:

I will be the first to admit that I was annoyed there were going to be full episodes on here because I wanted as many "classic cuts" as possible, but I do love seeing the episodes. The pilot is such an experience to see how it all began, and while it was odd seeing goofy, duncey, small-headed Big Bird and Orange Oscar and an apparently then-unnamed Cookie Monster, it was so interesting to see (it's too bad "our" Gordon didn't make the set since he didn't come on until season 5).

I loved Bob and Susan's "I've Got Two"---what a fun, catchy song!

It was interesting at how long and mellow the "milk" film was.

It's surprising to see how many classic clips came out of the first five years!

What I call "The D Song" ("D-D-D-D, Daddy dear oh Daddy dear"), is my favorite animated song, and when I realized that the season 2 or 3 opener was being sponsored by "D", I started hoping-yet-not-hoping-too-much that this beloved piece of mine would be in the show---AND IT WAS!! WOO-HOOOO!! And not once, but TWICE! LOL! I was SO happy, that totally made my night...to have "The D Song" on DVD is just amazing...

It was such an experience watching things come on I had completely forgotten about, but then remembered when they started playing...it was like I was transported back to my childhood again, and it was just the biggest Warm Henson Fuzzy. The first time this happened was with "Two Little Girls and Their Little Dollhouse". That is just the sweetest little piece, and once it got going I totally remembered it and had such a smile on my face.

And then there was "Madrigal Alphabet". The light, ethereal medieval music and light airy voices in that are beautiful, and the different-yet-complimentary animation is married to it wonderfully. I had a nice little numinous experience as I watched and heard that segment for the first time in well over 15 years. It was so great to be "reunited".

I had forgotten about "There's a Bird on Me" and "I Love Being a Pig" and "Chicken or the Egg" and "Take a Bweaff" (lol, love that voice!), and those are all classic live action songs. I didn't forget "Ev'rybody Sleeps", and that's another good one.

We had a lot of Bert & Ernie, that was great...so we first met Ernie when he was nekkid in the tub, LOL...didn't see that coming. And Bert looked so unkempt and disagreeable, man! lol And I had forgotten about the "counting sheep" one---what great fun, lol.

What a great Muppet "inside joke" that Grover sang "Whistle a Happy Tune", as Julie Andrews would do on "The Muppet Show" several years later---in fact, these are the only two times I've ever heard this song, lol.

Herry with a blue fuzzy nose...weird...and Little Bird had a sex change! Even weirder! lol Well, I mean, he was introduced with a man puppeteering him, and then later Fran took over...but was he always a he? I remember being a kid and thinking he was a he, and when I saw him in books I thought of him as a he, but then later when I was older and realized it was a woman doing his voice I thought maybe he was a she? I dunno...but boy, Little Bird couldn't have been more un-excited at the prospect of being Big Bird's friend! lol...poor Big Bird...

Loved that they gave us a Sesame Street News Flash---with New York "Rhoda" Rapunzel, LOL.

Witches Cooperate! WITCHES COOPERATE!! I LOVE the Sesame Street witches!! And I know this is like their only appearance ever, but I remembered it, and I loved the skit so much...especially Richard Hunt's witch. This isn't because he's the man behind Janice, but because I love her look and voice the best...a great funny voice, and she looks so cool all green with the long stuck out-turned up nose and yellow googly eyes and dingey hair, heh. I wasn't even thinking about them during my viewing because I thought they came along a lot later, so I was THRILLED when they came into that cave with that eerie music. :big_grin:

And then right after them on the disc is The Count! Count Von Count! My favorite "regular" Street member! "Song of the Count" was neat, especially with the green lighting and bats and cobwebs and candles...and I loved the skit about Ernie's blocks he was in, LOL! It's so fantastic to have "early Count" on DVD where he has hypnotic powers, a cackling sinister laugh, and accompanying organ music for his moves---AWESOME.

I do like Cookie Monster, but I didn't "love" "The Monster's Three Wishes". I did get a kick out of "The Great Cookie Thief" though, which I did remember (didn't remember 3 Wishes).

I love Lefty, but I wish we'd gotten to see one of his regular routines instead of him singing. Just a preference.

Snuffy was whacked out in his debut, man...an almost catatonic, short-furred thing with freaky yellow-green eyes---jeez! I'm sure glad they re-vamped him, lol. And for those who like to think that he really was imaginary? Well, it seems pretty obvious he wasn't. He played with the Street kids, so he had to be real (I'm in the camp that believes he was always real anyway). But I can't believe he appeared so early, and was around for about 15 years before he was revealed to the humans---jeez! That woulda driven me crazy if I had been a kid in the '70s, seein' them miss him all the time.

It was great seeing Sherlock and the Martians too---I didn't expect the Martians to be "on board" so soon...yiiiip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip uh-huh uh-huh---LOL

And I love Harvey Kneeslapper, but we didn't get to hear his trademark laugh! D'oh....it was a great segment though with the tables turned on him, but I love his laugh, lol.

And if there were a Roy Fan Club, I would join..."Roy, you're weird". Roy rocks! LOL!

Oo, and Wanda the Witch! I forgot about that one, but so remembered it...that's a great one with a fun little storyline. I also forgot about "It's springtiiiiiiime!", and I love that one too.

Alligator King, King of 8, Ladybugs, Martian Beauty, Bread-Butter-Milk, Middle Eastern 1-20...gotta love those definite classics.

Interviews with the gorilla (for a job), and the letter N, I forgot about those! "26 letters in the alphabet and I gotta get 'N' "---LOL!

2 lines fighting, M coming over for dinner, Capital I...more good animated ones.

I was surprised also to see game shows had appeared this early. Now that I've seen "What's My Line", "What's My Part" is that much funnier, lol.

Love "J Friends"---what a jazzy (ha), upbeat, catchy song that makes ya wanna bop around all over the place. That handclapping number was cool, too.

The pitch reel was so interesting to see...and a nice rare appearance from Rowlf. And it's insightful to see just how much research and scrutinization went into every single segment...wow!

And man oh man...I love the credit crawl for the last few seasons on the disc. The artwork is brilliant and so colorful---I would love to have a really long one-sheet of that to have framed.

I REALLY hope there will be a new set in the not-too-distant future, with even more classic cuts! (season 2 or 3 seemed pretty short on those)

THANK YOU Sonyyyyy!

Really!

Thank you!

:big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Okay, time for my gushings.

I loved Bob and Susan's "I've Got Two"---what a fun, catchy song!

What I call "The D Song" ("D-D-D-D, Daddy dear oh Daddy dear"), is my favorite animated song, and when I realized that the season 2 or 3 opener was being sponsored by "D", I started hoping-yet-not-hoping-too-much that this beloved piece of mine would be in the show---AND IT WAS!! WOO-HOOOO!! And not once, but TWICE! LOL! I was SO happy, that totally made my night...to have "The D Song" on DVD is just amazing...

:big_grin:
Ok, I'd love to participate in the discussion now, but I've pledge to keep my DVD hidden until Christmas! But I'll do my best...

I've heard the "I've Got Two" song on the radio and it's really great, especially Bob's part. Can't wait to see it!

I remember seeing "Daddy Dear" nearly everyday of my life as a child! I'm really looking forward to seeing all these clips again!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
(it's too bad "our" Gordon didn't make the set since he didn't come on until season 5).
Actually, he first appeared in season 6. Season 5 is included here (the booklet mistakenly says that Matt Robinson left the show in 1971 and that Hal Miller left in 1974). That would be one good thing about the next set focusing on the next five years (if it happens), being that the more familiar Gordon will be included.

It was such an experience watching things come on I had completely forgotten about, but then remembered when they started playing...it was like I was transported back to my childhood again, and it was just the biggest Warm Henson Fuzzy. The first time this happened was with "Two Little Girls and Their Little Dollhouse". That is just the sweetest little piece, and once it got going I totally remembered it and had such a smile on my face.

And then there was "Madrigal Alphabet". The light, ethereal medieval music and light airy voices in that are beautiful, and the different-yet-complimentary animation is married to it wonderfully. I had a nice little numinous experience as I watched and heard that segment for the first time in well over 15 years. It was so great to be "reunited".
All of those skits, and many others (including soem that you've mentioend here, but I'm not going to comment on them all) have already been released on video and DVD. the D song was recently included as a bonus skit on All-Star Alphabet, the dollhouse skit was included in Learning About Numbers, and Madrigal Alphabet was included in Learning About Letters. Many other classic skits not included on this DVD set are also available on many older videos and DVDs. There is a thread in the Sesame Merchandise thread that mentions what skits are in various Sesame Street videos, if you're more interested in knowing what has been reelased on video.

We had a lot of Bert & Ernie, that was great...so we first met Ernie when he was nekkid in the tub, LOL...didn't see that coming. And Bert looked so unkempt and disagreeable, man!
I think its weirder that Ernie is naked out of the tub after his bath when Bert is in the room. Sure, he's not seen below the waist, so it's hard to tell if he's wearing pants, underwear, or a towel, but it's especially hard to tell if he's wearing a towel around his waist, since he was drying himself with a towel that obviously wasn't covering him.

What a great Muppet "inside joke" that Grover sang "Whistle a Happy Tune", as Julie Andrews would do on "The Muppet Show" several years later---in fact, these are the only two times I've ever heard this song, lol.
How is this an inside joke?

Little Bird had a sex change! Even weirder! lol Well, I mean, he was introduced with a man puppeteering him, and then later Fran took over...but was he always a he? I remember being a kid and thinking he was a he, and when I saw him in books I thought of him as a he, but then later when I was older and realized it was a woman doing his voice I thought maybe he was a she? I dunno...but boy, Little Bird couldn't have been more un-excited at the prospect of being Big Bird's friend! lol...poor Big Bird...
I think he was always meant to be a he, even with a female performer. There was an album with a song titled Mr. Big Bird, Mr. Little Bird. And I wonder if Little Bird was originally meant to have a regular name and personality. In that skit, he just says that he's a little bird, never addressing himself by name. I wouldn't be surprised if he was named Little Bird in the script, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he used Little Bird as a proper name untill the second season (and I would be more surprised if the scripts referred to him as Kenner Gooney Bird, the puppet that Little Bird was refurbrished from).

And then right after them on the disc is The Count! Count Von Count! My favorite "regular" Street member! "Song of the Count" was neat, especially with the green lighting and bats and cobwebs and candles...and I loved the skit about Ernie's blocks he was in, LOL! It's so fantastic to have "early Count" on DVD where he has hypnotic powers, a cackling sinister laugh, and accompanying organ music for his moves---AWESOME.
I also like the green lighting in The Song of the Count. Some of The Count's other early appearances have been released on video and DVD (mainly Learning About Numbers). Oddly enough, with the exception of the two-part sketch wehre The Coutn spent the night at Ernie and Berts apartment, I don't ever recall seeing any Count skits from the 1970s on the show itself, only on video and DVD releases.

I love Lefty, but I wish we'd gotten to see one of his regular routines instead of him singing. Just a preference.
Same here. I would have liked to have seen one of his skits where he was performed by Caroll Spinney instead of Frank Oz, or the sketch where he attempted to sell a snowman (not very many people here seem to remember seeing it). I also would have liekd to have seen The Goldne An, in addition to his regular encounters with Ernie.

Snuffy was whacked out in his debut, man...an almost catatonic, short-furred thing with freaky yellow-green eyes---jeez! I'm sure glad they re-vamped him, lol.
It seems like Snuffy was either really stoned or had a very zombie-like personality in his first appearance. After Big Bird asked who he was, instead of saying his name, he just said "I'm a Snuffleupagus" (yes, his species is the same as his last name).

And I love Harvey Kneeslapper, but we didn't get to hear his trademark laugh! D'oh....it was a great segment though with the tables turned on him, but I love his laugh, lol.
That was a good one, and the first Harvey Kneeslapper sketch I saw where he is the victim (there have been a few more). I do wish, though, that this set included one of his regular skits involving letters or numbers.

Interviews with the gorilla (for a job), and the letter N, I forgot about those! "26 letters in the alphabet and I gotta get 'N' "---LOL!
I liked that sketch so much, I've decided to have that line be my signature.... for now...

The pitch reel was so interesting to see...and a nice rare appearance from Rowlf. And it's insightful to see just how much research and scrutinization went into every single segment...wow!
That was one of the DVDs highlights. I am surprised that this wasn't on the last disc, as most multi-disc sets have all big (I.E. any features that aren't on every disc or program) features on the last discs. I also wish that this set had the Baker film that featured Rowlf counting nine lights. After all, they were able to secure the rights to use Rowlf, so why not show his SS appearance?

I REALLY hope there will be a new set in the not-too-distant future, with even more classic cuts! (season 2 or 3 seemed pretty short on those)
Who doesn't? Actually, I thought that the classic cuts for season two and four were too short, while one, three, and five were all long. The season three classic cuts seems to have the most skits, and the most skits that I remember seeing as a child. Season two especially should have had a few more skits. It only had one Muppet skit (not counting Oscar's cameo in the counting to 20 skit), and most of the season two classic cuts are forgettable. I was hoping for Mad, a Roosevelt Franklin skit, and a season two Ernie and Bert or Herbert Birdsfoot skit (and some more Herry) for the seaosn two classic cuts.