Your Thoughts: Sesame Street on Scrubs

lowercasegods

Reaction score
As a huge fan of both the Muppets and Scrubs, I loved this episode! Well, I loved two thirds of this episode--I really can't get into the three new interns, but that's irrelevant--I loved the way Bill Lawrence (the show's creator) wrote this episode, and the dialogue he gave the Muppets.

I thought The Todd giving Grover a "High four" was hilarious. I LOVED Oscar being in Janitor's trash cart. The "I never close my eyes" bit was brilliant. And Elmo, well, I admit I've been on the fence with the character for years, but man, I think this appearance may have converted me to a fan. Any moment where someone hugs a Muppet is a great moment, but Elmo's dialogue there, "What? She your woman?" is just awesome. Oh, and the bit with the monster where JD tells him he has a hand inside him--comedy gold!

And I think giving the Muppets four short but very well done moments in the show worked perfectly. If the show was an all out Muppet-thon (which, don't get me wrong, sounds good in principle), it would have totally gone against the grain of the show and risked being a bit "Jumped the shark-ish". But to have them in well placed fantasy sequences, particularly against the backdrop of a serious tragedy of a woman dealing with her husband dying of cancer, that was poignant, and fit the show to a T.

And how perfect was it to have JD, a guy my age (34) who was among the first generation of Sesame Street fans, fantasize about the Muppets? Oh, only perfect, that's all!

And lastly, seriously, good lord, has there ever been a more heart tugging rendition of the Sesame Street song than that which they played over the final dramatic moments of the show? Man, I wish I had Elmo in the room with me then. I needed a Muppet hug.

So anyway, I just had to chime in and say how much I loved this. Bill Lawrence is obviously a Muppet fan, given that the Scrubs cast had a cameo in the Muppets Christmas special back in 2002, and he utilized them perfectly. I say shake loose the long gestating rumors that Jason Segal is working on a Muppet movie and somebody hire Bill Lawrence to write and direct it. Man, that would be awesome.....

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to say the Muppets were utilized a million times better here than they were in the Scrubs scene in VMX. And here's why...

The VMX Scrubs cameo was written basically as a generic medical drama segment, with the cast basically appearing as an advertisement. The scene was written without a basic understanding of the show, and it seemed like a forced promo. I'm a fan of Scrubs, but I still think that sequence is totally unnecessary, and you could have put the cast of ER in there and made basically the same jokes.

Now, with the Sesame Street fantasy sequence, they integrated the characters into the show to bring up a point, and it's great to see J.D.'s cut scenes have something to do with the plot. And in such a bittersweet way too.

I felt that there really should have been another segment, and it seems like something was obviously cut from the episode, but all and all I think the cameos were well done. Grover's cameo was the best, I think. Anyone else think they used the same Grover from the A's anatomy sketch (did he wear glasses in that one?).

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I have to say the Muppets were utilized a million times better here than they were in the Scrubs scene in VMX. And here's why...

The VMX Scrubs cameo was written basically as a generic medical drama segment, with the cast basically appearing as an advertisement. The scene was written without a basic understanding of the show, and it seemed like a forced promo. I'm a fan of Scrubs, but I still think that sequence is totally unnecessary, and you could have put the cast of ER in there and made basically the same jokes.

Now, with the Sesame Street fantasy sequence, they integrated the characters into the show to bring up a point, and it's great to see J.D.'s cut scenes have something to do with the plot. And in such a bittersweet way too.

I felt that there really should have been another segment, and it seems like something was obviously cut from the episode, but all and all I think the cameos were well done. Grover's cameo was the best, I think. Anyone else think they used the same Grover from the A's anatomy sketch (did he wear glasses in that one?).

I agree 100% about the Muppets working better here with the Scrubs cast than VMX. I think you hit the nail on the head about why as well.

I personally didn't feel as though there was anything missing or as though there should have been another segment. What was included was just right as far as getting the message across and it really did seem like a sincere message.

I know I'm going to sound like a sap in saying this, but this episode reminded me why I stopped watching Scrubs. It's a great show, but I always feel depressed and down after watching it. :embarrassed:

Katzi428

Reaction score
I thought it was cute.The part w/:super: was my favorite! Plus I laughed at the "Grover Five!"

(I wasn't overly crazy about the Elmo parts...then again I'm not an Elmo fan.....please,no bad PMs from you Elmo lovers,OK?)

Reaction score
i thought the episode was funny especially when the sesame gang was in it. Only it could have used more of them instead of little gags.

"Hey have you had fantasies about muppets all day?"
"No i'm straight"
That part was funny

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
That was a great episode.

Oscar's eye bit was a cool shout out to Spinney's book.

Also, did anybody notice when JD asked if Elmo was a seal? That, too, was a funny reference to Kevin playing Wolfgang.

I'm definetally buying that from iTunes!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I liked it. I wasn't sure how it was going to fit in, but then when I saw that it was one of J.D.'s fantasies, it made perfect sense to me. My favorite part was with Grover, but the whole thing was great. Nice plug for Sesame over all. And I also loved the recording at the end.

Cecilia5

Reaction score
I thought it was great. I loved Oscar! :grouchy:

I also love that song! Can't wait to get my hands on it.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
I too loved the song. I noticed RIGHT away and was like... the tune sounds like SS... then i heard the lyrics.. n knew i was right.

I actually loved Elmo's "is this your woman?" I was dy'n from that one!

I missed the Oscar bit... i joined in during the theme. So, i'll have to hunt that down right now.

EDIT: I watched it on ABC.com. For anyone who wishes to watch or rewatch... head on over there.

Also... i never cared for Scrubs... n other then the SS cameos... i really didn't enjoy this episode. They mixed humor and drama horribly. And the JD actor... i dont think he does his character well. Either that or his character isnt written well.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
The Grover bit with him saying "Give me Four!" going into the "Near", and "Far" bit was insanely hilarious! The "Knuckleheads" bit with Oscar was cute, and the "What? She your woman?" with Elmo was quite unexpected! It was a great episode and I'll never forget it!
"It all makes sense now!" with the orange (or is it brown) AM was also unexpected!
All in all, I'd give it a 10/10!