Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 34

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Beginning tomorrow on Monday April 7th, Sesame Street will begin it's 34th season on public television. Be sure to check out the new episodes and let us know what you think of the format changes, guest stars, and new segments.

If you don't know when Sesame Street airs in your local area, you can check your listings here...

http://www.tvguide.com/listings/

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
It's up...and it's Good!

Saw the Season Opener this morning and as is often the case, there were moments where I laughed myself silly.

Great job!

dcfboss

Reaction score
1 complaint .... there was the same number and letter of day sketch .. that's what i really wanted to see. the new JTE looks better. i actually enjoyed it.

highlight of the show was when the monster grabbed bert and did the tango lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I found it a little disappointing, but still MUUUUUCh better than last season. It's a great direction they went in.

Firstly, I commend them for bringing back Gladys with a new performer (A woman, oddly enough playing a man, playing a woman) but I do not know her name. I think she plays Cleo on Between the Lions, but that's a guess.

The New JTE was much more enjoyable then the lame vewrson last year. Only ONE location this time, and it's not as repeptitive and rediculous. The 2 Headed Monster really made a comback in this episode, being in 2 skits in one show....

I liked Wayne Brady's Between song much better than the original.

But my one dissapointment is the same as dcfboss, the letter and Number of the day rrecycled last seasons skits....

Everything was new, even Elmo's world, except that....

Koozbanian Foob

Reaction score
What I really liked (in addition to the Dance scene with Bert and Ernie - that was hilarious!) was that in the Karaoke ( pardon my spelling :big_grin: ), all the songs were old SS classics except for Rosita's Olah (again my spelling - I'm rushing :embarrassed: ).

Very cool.

Hays

Reaction score
I have to say it was the best episode of Sesame Street I've ever seen - and I've been watching SS on and off for 30 years.

The "On the street" segment was absolutely stupendous: touching and fun. Karaoke was a terrific idea for bringing all the characters together at the opening, and bringing out some of the songs I remember singing when I was three (most notably, Big Bird singing "Abcdefg...where he runs the alphabet into one word) My little boy loved it, too, singing along at the end of Bob's "People in Your Neighborhood." I loved how the segment handled two problems: Telly's theoretical and Baby Bear's real stage fright, and the loss of the karaoke machine. Nobody made a big deal or a sermon out of either problem, but each was solved with the help of the entire group. Terrific.

Didn't miss "monster time," though Narf and Google were in the background of the Karaoke crowd. Gotta love Wayne Brady! My son loved the "Playdo" cave people fighting over the chair.

JTE was fine, though I missed my "classic" Bert and Ernie sketch (I'm old...maybe that WAS a classic...but there WAS that "Horse Whisperer" reference) I hope they've filmed lots of them, though because I don't think I want to see that one more than 30 times.

I wish they'd fixed the number of the day segments; I think they should trash those and start over - they're much worse than the old JTE.

I thought "Global Grover" was a terrific addition; I liked how they used Sesame Street documentary-style footage with the little African girl narrating, but chose a location that was very different to American kids. It stopped short of a "save the children" commercial in that it didn't hide the lack of facilities, food, and classroom space (we complain about class sizes of 30!) but still showed children with dignity and an eagerness to learn and play. I will be interested to see more.

The other "Global" thing was fine, but I didn't really understand why the concept of standing in line and sharing the fun was being explained with a globe.

And, there was a new Elmo's World! Yes, I could live completely without Elmo and life would be fine, but I'll take a month free of Elmo reruns if I can get it!

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Actually, "Hola" is a classic Sesame Street song. I remember...I believe it was Maria and Luis singing it back in the eighties.

And I don't know about you, but I would have been annoyed if they hadn't kept the letter-cookie segments from last season. That's been some of the funniest stuff on the show!

I will agree that every song in that episode is a classic (even those outside the main street segment)...About the only ones missing were "C is for Cookie" and "Sing a Song"...and we got enough of the latter last season to last a lifetime.:stick_out_tongue:

Hays

Reaction score
Firstly, I commend them for bringing back Gladys with a new performer (A woman, oddly enough playing a man, playing a woman)
Don't you mean "a woman, oddly enough playing a man, playing a female bovine?" Maybe it's like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where women in front of the screen played Dr. Frankenfurter!

Wasn't "Hola" done with Gloria Estefan, too?

dcfboss

Reaction score
i also enjoy the fact that there wasn't the same style as last season. last season the story took place in one segment ... this episode had a few cartoons and things in between which was great.

i loved the telly, rosita, bob verion of "i dont want to live on the moon"

the wayne brady song was GREAT

i also was wondering why Cookie Monster wasn't shown on the street, i mean he is a staple character. but i guess we'll have to wait till wednesday for his episode lol.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Phil, here's a bit of news you might want to keep in mind about Season 34. Slept in this morning and I missed out on the premiere of the new season, thinking that it would be repeated later this afternoon. Well, when I turned on the TV and tuned to PBS at 3:00 PM EST and Puerto Rican Standard Time Season 33 repeats were what greeted me after the title song. Guess the Season 34 episodes are being aired at 8:00 AM EST and not during the afternoon hours, unless the premiere of S34 wasn't shown down here in Puerto Rico today and saved for another day. I'll have to watch it tomorrow morning to confirm this point, just thought you'd might want to know.