Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I must admit I find that opening piece " You'll Never Know Who You'll Meet on SS" Is annoying. Why not just get to the episodes right away just like in the old days!

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Okay. I've only seen the street story in today's ep, since I was busy with some things this afternoon. Though I do want to comment on that. I must say that Sesame Workshop deserves praise for bringing back "Ask Oscar." They did update it a bit with the Oinker Sister's new theme song and Oscar's hat and everything. Still, it was good that they remembered that. And once again, they incorporated the Letter of the Day in the street story. They've been doing that a lot this season. Again, that does make the Cookie Monster letter of the day bits unneccessary, unless they come up with some new ones. What I wonder is, where did Telly get his new found confidence? What happened to his worrywart personality? That's kind of strange. I also wonder if they had "I Love Lucy" in mind when they used the name Little Ricky? Could be just a coincedence. I don't know. I watched Lucy before "Sesame Street," so I guess I had that in my mind. Lol.

You may not have been watching much in the last few years, but Telly's developed a little more recently. He is still the same hypocondriac, worrysome Telly, but his personality has gotten deeper than that. He's got a little more energy. His personality hasn't changed. Just developed.

As for Oscar in this episode, it was odd. People are saying he sounded different and are questioning if it was Carrol Spinney's voice. I believe that was definitely Carrol, but Oscar seemed particularly mellow and very low energy. He wasn't so grouchy. He was actually rather pleasant to be around.

I also felt like I was watching more of the old Maria. She didn't push or overdo it in this episode like I feel she has been in past seasons. Her acting was more honest and natural like it used to be in the earlier days.

Nice return of the Oinker Sisters and Natasha in this episode.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
What kid doesn't know what a button is? Couldn't they have come up with a more challenging question than that?

I didn't enjoy Ask Oscar much. Too repetitive and way too obvious where it was going. At least we didn't see Elmo for once. It was still pretty funny though.

We really got an overdoes of "One of These Things" today. The Street story, "What's the Game today?" and Elmo's World. It's nice to see it again, but let's tone it down a bit.

Loved seeing the Bert and Ernie version of "What's the name of that song?" again. I'm very glad Sesame Workshop brought that song back. What always amuses me every time I see it, is that after 30+ years they still can't remember the name of that song. :stick_out_tongue:

I'd rather they showed the original version "Healthy Foods" than that rap version. Yuck.

Boy was it nice to have a different Letter of the Day segment! I also loved Prairie Dawn in the bathtub at the end. Heh heh. She just can't win. :smile:

After checking TV Guide.com, I noticed my PBS station has moved Sesame Street to a different time because of the new Curious George show that premieres on Monday. Something you guys should watch out for. (As an aside, my PBS station finally moved Sesame Street back from 8am to 10am! I missed not having it on at 10.)

As for new episodes, we'll be getting them on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Ask Oscar

Yay Sesame Street!!
- for having Telly star in the street segment and remembering that in the days before Baby Bear he was the foil and luckless sidekick of Oscar.
- for including Baby Natasha, who isn't seen very often.
- for integrating the letter of the day with the street segment, again.
- for printing the words on the screen as they were spoken, again.

Boo Sesame Street!!
-for showing that musically inferior remake of Cookie's "Healthy Foods" rap. I know this was made a couple of seasons ago, and not for this episode, but it should've been left on the shelf. And if they felt that the original was too dated--I'll admit, the RunDMC look and visual effects of the first one are dated--they could still have made a better remake than this. The celebrity singer (and I don't know who he is, either) just adds nothing to the song and instead takes away from it. He simply doesn't convince me that he really cares about healthy foods. There's a definite lack of passion.

Nnn. . . Sesame Street
- for letting Oscar be difficult and rude--but not like he used to be. I feel relief every time I see Oscar still refusing to help and cooperate (thank goodness he isn't completely sanitized), and here he was totally free to basically thumb his nose at Little Ricky and not bother to answer. Other people have commented that he seemed unnecessarily nice here, and when I think about it, in the 1980s he would've been a lot harder on Telly in particular than he was today.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Crap. The one time, they have a new Letter of the Day segment, I'm not there to see it. Boy are they going to get letters on that one. Just kidding. I'll catch it next time it comes on.

What kid doesn't know what a button is? Couldn't they have come up with a more challenging question than that?
Yeah. I agree with you there. But I guess they wanted to incorporate the letter 'b' and that might have been all the writers could think of.

You may not have been watching much in the last few years, but Telly's developed a little more recently. He is still the same hypocondriac, worrysome Telly, but his personality has gotten deeper than that. He's got a little more energy. His personality hasn't changed. Just developed.
Yeah. I've noticed Telly has been less of a worrywart in recent years, but he was never quite as confident as he was in today's ep. He's just been in between lately. Just my opinion.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I also felt like I was watching more of the old Maria. She didn't push or overdo it in this episode like I feel she has been in past seasons. Her acting was more honest and natural like it used to be in the earlier days.
I noticed the same thing. Hopefully when we see the other adults they'll be the same way. A lot of times they seem to be overacting for some reason.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Count said:
Song: "Healthy Food", remake from last year.
Not rap, more like smooth reggae. Who's that guy that sang with Cookie Monster?
Yeah, as others have said, I'd like a confirmation on who that is as well.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure... It's something something nice.
Seriously, isn't that the song's name though? Looking forward to this week's episodes.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
According to Tivo, they'll be new episodes on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week.