1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 37

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Dil

Dil Guest

If they end Elmo's World, they will also end Sesame Street, right?
  2. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Why don't you just get use to what SS is? It's not going to change because you and others don't like it.
  3. Dil

Dil Guest

So, without Elmo's World, kids will be complainin' about Elmo for the rest of their child ages, don't you think?
  4. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Rully don't know how to answer these questions, since they embark out into speculative territory.

I don't believe that the cancellation of Elmo's World would lead to the death of Sesame Street the TV show, they'd probably invent some new segment to add to fill out their episodes towards the end.
    Also, Elmo was a part of Sesame Street long before Elmo's World, he's still in the street stories nowadays, and would most likely continue to remain present even if SS should get rid of his own individual segments.

So I rully can't say if "yes" or "no" to any of these, but all I can say is that Elmo's World will still be a part of Sesame Street.
    Hope this helps in some small manner.
  5. Dil

Dil Guest

Elmo's World may still be on Sesame Street for many many times, but not Journey to Ernie. Journey to Ernie, I think, is better than Elmo's World, though younger kids don't agree with that.
  6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Better be careful. We don't want Joan G.C. coming after you! :crazy: :zany:

What's wrong with Elmo's World anyhow? It's perfectly suited for that portion of the Sesame fan-base who would appreciate that part of the show. It comes on the same time of every episode, so if one doesn't like that part they can basically turn the t.v. off until after that segment is over, then turn it back on, because it's almost always the same amount of time dedicated to it.

After watching OLD School DVDs, I miss the silly skits that weren't necessarily about teaching, and the way the show used to cater to short attention spans.
  7. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Sorry to get off the "Elmo's World" subject, but I wanted to post some comments on the first part of the ep where Gina goes to Guatemala. I haven't seen that one before. I liked when Hoots was singing and it showed all the characters, very reminiscent of the earlier days of "Sesame Street." Herry was even shown, I didn't think we'd be seeing too much of him anymore. What I don't understand though is why Bert was there without Ernie. Maybe it's because Steve is busy preparing for some future Kermit appearances. Just a thought. Also, interesting how Elmo asked the exact same question about adoption two days in a row. He must have a short attention span. Lol. But it's alright, because it wasn't until the second part that Gordon mentioned the adoption of Miles. I was also thinking that they might have incorporated "Global Grover" and the Spanish Word in the street story. I really liked the part where Grover thought Gina was going to swim to Guatemala and he said that he did that himself. Lol. I also liked when Bob said that he took up knitting. I was wondering where his sweaters came from. I also liked when whats-his-name sang about between. I didn't think we'd see much of the Two Headed Monster since Journey to Ernie is gone, but I'm glad he/they is/are still around. :)

Yeah, Miles adoption was a big event and I knew they'd remember that. What sort of surprised me was hearing "Elmo Remembers!" It seems like the writers act like Elmo wasn't there before the 90s or whatever, but I'm glad they kept continuity in that area. Unless, he was just referring to seeing it when he was in Grover's magic taxi cab.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, I guess a lot of us can hold out hope that it could be phased out after a while (but I'm talking 5 years down the road at least). Personally, and I always have said, Elmo's World would work much better as a seperate show on it's own. I mean, if you crush two segments together, you could have an episode. And they wouldn't have to make too much new footage for it. But what it all boils down to is would PBS be willing to air another half hour of Sesame, and would SW be willing to devide the shows like that.

I do not think an SS episode would have no Elmo's world. It seems like whoever said that made it more of a command than as a fact.

I could see two legitamate Business men walking into J.G.C.'s office and saying that. And adding, "Cuz things break, don't they?"
  9. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

If you miss the first part of the adoption episode, it airs again next week.
  10. Big Bird Fan

Big Bird Fan Member

Finally saw the season finale yesterday, (Been putting it off since I don't want the season to end) and enjoyed it. It did feel closer to classic Sesame Street with Oscar, Grungeda, the Sloppy Jalopy, and Maria and Luis acting normal. The end with Marco getting the car started and Oscar winning the race anyway was more classic grouch stuff. :) Abby's appearance was kind of cute. Hopefully they do something better with her next season.

Survivor: Musical Chairs was just ok. The host saying "Who will survive" got annoying. I'm sure he was based on a real host but since I've never seen the show before I wouldn't know. Elmo winning was so predictable, but at least it ended in a funny way.

At first when I saw the classic "Dance yourself to sleep" I was cheering, but then they had to have those celebrity inserts. If that wasn't bad enough, it took like two minutes to get through them! Still, I'd rather have this version over the animated one any day.

Even though I haven't seen too much SS before this season, this season sounds like it's an improvement and a step in the right direction.

The good:
    Return of the Fix-It-Shop!
    The set itself has returned to more of what it used to look like.
    New Grover and Fat Blue segments.
    Plenty of classic clips.
    The street stories seemed slightly more evened out in terms of character focus, but there's still room for improvement.
    Some of the new Elmo's Worlds featured other characters for once. (Zoe going on about Rocco, Big Bird at the doctor.)
    No more Journey to Ernie!
    New letter, Spanish word, and number of the days that were a nice change of pace.
    I don't know if sign language word of the day is new, but I really liked it.
    The opening is full length again.
    Slightly more variety in the clips which made the show a bit less predictable.
    The last few episodes were great with continuity.

The Bad:
    Get up and Play. I'm begging you SW, PLEASE get rid of this!
    Still a bit too much Elmo.
    Elmo's World should really be it's own show, or at least trim it down some.
    Trash Gordon is getting tiresome. Replace it, or at least don't air it every episode.
    Some continuity screw ups that shouldn't have happened.

Oddity:
    I don't think we heard Matt Vogel all season. That's very strange.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, but that's all that i can remember. All in all I really enjoyed this season, and can't wait for the next one to start.
  11. Dil

Dil Guest

I don't think a LOT of Grover Fans would believe Frank Oz would reprise the role of Grover after 'Elmo in Grouchland' in the Russian Restaurant Sketch which first started in the 2006 episode of 'Cookie World'. Also, SS Fans might not believe they used another Grover the Waiter Sketch. I wonder if Sesame Workshop was taking a special tribute to OldSesame, where Grover had the voice of Oz, instead of Jacobson, and more Waiter sketches were used.
  12. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Yes, even though Frank Oz is somewhat retired from the Muppets, he still occassionally comes by the Sesame Street set to perform Bert or Grover in a new sketch. I think he does this sometimes if Bert and Grover are in a scene together. Frank will play one character while Eric Jacobson does the other.
  13. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

Oh I wish he would do this more, although Eric is doing a phenominal job, we need some old sesame back
  14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I just saw part two of the adoption episode. I thougt it was really funny. Bert seem to be thanking Earnie for letting him borrow his duckie to lemd to marco. When elmo says he remembers, the very next words to come out of his mouth are Gina's bringing homs a new baby. So is seems as if he may have forgotten when Gina explained it to him the last time. So weather or not he remembers mileses adoption, he was refering to that day she explianed it to him. At least that's how I percived it.
  15. Daffyfan2003

Actually, I don't think I've seen :( and Grover together in a while. I think this could be done more often. Also, the reason they got David Rudman to perform Cookie Monster was that so he could interact with Grover more often, but I haven't seen a lot of that either. In the one with the letter 'O,' I think Frank performed both characters while Rudman performed Cookie Monster.
  16. Daffyfan2003

I thought I'd keep this thread going. I haven't seen 4123 (or whatever the heck the number was) before yesterday so I thought I'd post some comments here. I kind of liked Alex's appearance. (That was cool to have Alex instead of Alan, besides since Alan wasn't in the store in the street story it is good that they established that he's still around) Yes, it would be great to see Guy in a segment, but I thought Alex had good chemistry with the Muppets. After all, I've seen on You Tube the Jeopardy! category where he asked all those questions with the Muppets. I don't think I'll say much more here. I missed the second half of the ep and I wasn't interested in much else. I hope I'll have a chance to see the other ones I missed real soon though.
  17. The Count

Yep... That was 4123, the one with the Automatic Lemonade Pouring Machine invented by Baby Bear.

Of note in the episode is the song Bert's Blanket with Frank's Bert and Jim's Ernie when he shows up as the rancher hauling the wool away.
    And there's also the Trash Gordon Planet Conga Line segment at the very end of the episode.

Hope to get some more Season 37 episodes during the T-Day vacation tomorrow and/or on Friday as well.
  18. The Count

Sorry... But I feel the need to set you straight on this matter.
    All Season 37 episodes feature Elmo's World.
    None of the Season 37 episodes had a Journey to Ernie segment.

Though I can't say for sure about JTE for Season 38, Elmo's World will be a part of all the episodes for the coming season.
    Hope this helps.
  19. The Count

Hmmm... Perhaps the decision to cancel Journey to Ernie was because it was getting a bit too predictable, though I rully can't say since I'm not involved in the programming at SW. Elmo's World has been a part of Sesame Street since 1998 and will continue to be so until Elmo no longer is the merchandising face of the show. Also, these are "repeats", that means that no edits of inserting more material can be made. Well, edits with more material could technically be done... But then they'd be different episodes than the ones already aired. Besides, the cast is recording and producing the Season 38 episodes as we speak, so I doubt that going back to insert more material in repeat episodes is one of their chief concerns at this time.

Hope this helps.
  20. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

But would this be fair to the Elmo fans? I mean, it would be equally disturbing if they removed a Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, or Count sketch from the show.

Elmo is a good character for the younger kids and deserves his (nearly literally) 15 minutes of fame. Ha ha.

I deleted a few of the not quite so nice posts after that last thread, too. Keep in consideration that you point has been made (several times) that Elmo's World isn't your favorite segment of the program--but, there are lots of tiny tots who do like it, for whom it is created, and they deserve as much a chance to see that as we would to see Ernie counting fire engines as he tries to go to sleep (and keeps Bert awake).