1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 41

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I gotta tell yah... you KNOW something's fishy when the health curriculum episodes are BETTER than the nature ones. I mean, they actually have a PLOT! Though, I have to admit, I think the fact that Natasha never ate veggies before would have been a prime opportunity to say that she's just off the bottle and eating food for the first time. But whatever. And HEY! A Veggie Dance that doesn't totally suck. :insatiable: Not to mention Cookie setting the record straight for the 99th time (Gah, I wish that rumor would just DIE already... but it does look like he's off the wagon). All and all, a pretty good episode, forgiving OBVIOUS puns like "Give Peas a Chance." And NO Elmo to be found in the street story. And Natasha! Yay!

I really hope they didn't make that many "Can you find X in the rocks" segments. They really... really stink.

And what more can I say about Super Grover 2.0? This was unfortunately the last one produced (so far). I still say it was a HUGE shame they only made 6 of these when 10+ would have been better. They have the same spirit of the classic Super Grover segments... Karate chopping stairs is just as funny as "Wubba Wubba Wubba" ing a computer on.

I would actually say Thank Goodness for the symbiotic puppeteer and voice over work of Matt and Jerry keeping the character on the street. The Count is still very popular. I'd hate to think it was because of those TERRIBLE movies and TV shows, but if it is, I won't hold it against them. but I'm seeing Count merchandise again, and I haven't seen Count stuff in years. And you know they only merchandise characters that are currently on the show (on kids merchandise that is)... though, I did see a couple things with Herry on it.
  2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

As for characters getting retired, I found it really odd that in the new "Food for Thought" kit there was an image with Betty Lou and Grover sharing some food. And it was a new Betty Louse poser!
  3. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. I liked the Super Grover segment. I thought the street story was really good too. It was nice that they referenced both 'A Cookie is a Sometime Food' and the public's concern about him becoming 'Veggie Monster.'
    Duke Remington likes this.
  4. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Herry's one of my all time favorites and i hate his decline into obscurity when at one time he was just behind BB, Oscar, E&B, CM, Grover, and The Count in terms of visibility. As far as current merchandise though, at least he was on a recent t-shirt (in a group shot of characters) so at least there's some hope there.

I greatly fear if we do see more of him, he'll be treated like a generic AM monster.
  5. Drtooth

I don't know if I'd count adult T-shirts... but I DID see him as a bus driver in a Learning Curve die cast vehicle. Unfortunately, it was just a sticker... and I swear he was on a kid's puzzle too.

Never thought of that... turning him into a generic monster... that would only be good for the fact we're seeing him and nothing else. Herry is a giant child that knows he's strong, but doesn't know to what extent... he's also a very gentle giant... a little tiny bit grouchy, but not a grouch. he is a very subtle character... maybe moreso than Big Bird. I really want the writers to find a vehicle for him, and again I suggest big brother figure for Elmo. Grover has that relationship of sorts... but almost an Inspector Gadget to Penny relationship... Elmo admires Grover, but in the end exceeds the master. We have Matt and we have Jerry... I'd love to see them try the character.

Sherlock Hemlock, however, I don't necessarily see coming back, but he SHOULD. Their has been a great resurgence of the actual character (the Robert Downy Jr. movie, the new PBS miniseries, even the Muppets and Tom and Jerry recently had encounters with Sherlock). I don't expect to see him as a major presence... but maybe a one episode shot like Guy Smiley had a couple seasons ago.
  6. Snuffylover

Snuffylover New Member

loved the fact that they had a brand new Ernie puppet skit today. First time that's happened in a few years now. Nice to see Ernie and Bert's apartment too. It's too bad it couldn't have been both Ernie and Bert singing that song together, but it was still a really nice song. Hopefully this means more of the Ernie puppet in the future.
  7. Oscarfan

What was the segment?
  8. Drtooth

Ah yes... I was getting VERY worried about the lack of Ernie in new segments this year... due most obviously to the performer, not any executive decision by SW (as far as we know). I find it the highlight of the episode, even though the story was fairly good... well, I wouldn't call it a story so much a loose connection of gags... but whatever.

Ernie had that one line in the Will I Am song, but other than the not used nearly enough claymation segments, there was virtually no Ernie and Bert stuff this season... At least there were 2 segments with Ernie... of course, why would they need Steve to basically say ONE line in a song. So it's pretty clear we should have expected something.

Other than that, it was a very cute Ernie song. They've been lacking very good music lately, but that was a pretty classic style Ernie piece.

As much as I love Super Grover 2.0, I really don't like how we're seeing reruns this season. Especially when there are so many EBGA segments that haven't aired in the US yet. But I guess since we had an actual Ernie segment here, I shouldn't really complain about that.
  9. Oscarfan

Wow, that was a really nice Ernie song. I can't wait 'til it's online so I can get an mp3 of it!
  10. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

OMG! Ernie making a new skit appearance! Also he's wearing his original pajamas again!
  11. Daffyfan2003

Hmmmmm

No comments on "Fairy Tale Science Theater?" I realize that wasn't the greatest episode. But it had it's moments. It's always nice to see Telly as the "Monster on the Spot," though he wasn't in costume this time. Plus you can't go wrong with the Big Bad Wolf. Still not a lot of new material, except for that song by Ernie. I'm guessing that was new to this season.
  12. Drtooth

The plot was fun, and it is always a treat to see a big bad wolf in ANYTHING, actually... you can never go wrong with Big Bad Wolf. And there's nothing better than a gentle groan inducing pun like "Baby Bear, your CUB reporter." I actually look forward to the Telly/Baby Bear episodes the most. But the Cinderella part was a bit left field, I have to say.
  13. Daffyfan2003

Oh. That was a reference Chicago Cub reporter! I just got that.
  14. Drtooth

I really don't know how to feel about these new episodes made out of reruns and how they have all these new skits mixed in. The "new" Elmo steps in for Super Grover episode, we have an ACTUALLY new Two headed Monster skit about the number 10.
  15. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Well the season is ending. Hopefully the sooner it ends the sooner sesamestreet.org will go back to adding "new" classic clips (seriously, we haven't had any classic clips added to the site in about 4-5 months!). I hope that next season the website downplays the frequency of new clips. A few season 42 clips before the season begins is alright, but I don't want to see loads of season 42 clips before next season begins, and don't want to see so many newer clips added the weeks of broadcasts. Sesamestreet.org should space them out, while also adding plenty of classic clips.

Anyway, I really like that new Ernie segment. Considering both new appearances of the puppet were singing, I wonder if Steve Whitmire just recorded the voice or if he operated the puppet as well. Interesting how it included visual effects to actully show the buildings outside the apartment through Ernie's window. Also, it's not often we see Ernie in his pajamas in the living room (at first I thought it was the bedroom, and wondered why I didn't see Ernie's bed).
  16. Oscarfan

Today's episode was really funny. Plus, a new Grover and Mr. Johnson bit!
  17. Daffyfan2003

Well, that's something to look forward to. Unfortunately, the new eps where I live air at 1pm and I should be on the road to Ohio, by that point. I'll have to look for that next time they air that episode.
  18. Drtooth

Michael McKean made the episode so much funnier than it could have been, but even aside from that, the performance by Chris (when he was Chris the Rock, anyone else think he was doing his impersonation of a similar named comedian?) and Alan really sold this one. It didn't feel like the "keep guessing" plotline that absolutely polluted the season. It had too much humor and wackiness behind it. Sure, Joey doing a million accents for different birds or something added a tiny bit of humor to those dry plots, but everyone was in top form here. Seems like Zoe should have been in it a little longer, and Abby should have came by halfway through... Seriously, though? McKean's Virgil character was Muppet Show worthy comedy. Something you WANT to see on Sesame Street.

I'm so glad that they didn't wind up shoving the new V segment with Grover and Mr. Johnson onto a reused footage episode. There's nothing more I can say about that one that you wouldn't expect. Absolutely wonderful.

And a GREAT new Ernie and Bert Great Adventures cartoon. I think these are really underused. And did anyone else think that in certain shots, the Ernie clay puppet looked closer to his Muppet counterpart than usual? Something about either the head or mouth shape or the eye placement...

Even the usually boring kid film segment was pretty good too.
  19. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Hi guys... Got a question for those of you who are still watching Season 41 episodes.

In one of the Super Grover 2.0 sketches titled "Sandlot Days"—the one where he helps a cactus find out what ball would be perfect for it to play with—it says on Muppet Wiki that this took place in Monument Valley, Utah.
    How is such a fact known? Was either "Monument Valley" or the state of Utah mentioned by name?
    If so, if anyone could get me a MUP3 file of the sketch or at least the audio context where the state got mentioned I'd appreciate it.

Thanks and we now return you to your regularly scheduled reviews. :) :sing:
  20. Oscarfan

I noticed that too.

I think it was the design of the desert, with all of the sandstone buttes.