Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 43

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hansel and Gretel are ascended extras, aren't they? They're basically fourth or fifth string gag characters that go an entire street story devoted to them (and Big Bird). And I have to admit, German stereotypes are always funny (what the heck is a Schnitzel anyway? Aside from the guy who goes "Radda Radda"). Actually, I like the fish jugglers much better than Wolfgang popping up. It's much more insanely silly, and that's what this episode is about, isn't it? besides, it would just be a copy of the Cookie Monster bit earlier anyway.

Funny how I gush about Hansel and Gretel becoming main characters when I complain about the same thing in Arthur and D.W.'s friends...

I agree with what Oscarfan said earlier... the remake of Loaf of Bread, as cute and gorgeous the animation was, was very redundant after seeing basically the same joke with Eric Stonestreet. Especially since they twisted that one so nicely. Quote the butter: Am I THAT forgettable?! Man, I hope Ed O'Neil does one of these so we can have everyone from Modern Family.

I appreciate the Simon Says bits more knowing Ce Lo and Ziggy Marley were the ones behind it.

I know the TrueMud spoof isn't new, but I actually watched some of the show since then, and while it's mostly a name only parody, it kept some pretty thorough details. I never actually noticed it before, but just as the "show" starts, you can see a Muppet caricature of Lafayette busing tables. Come to think of it, he should have been the one that hooked up Muppet Bill Compton with the mud, considering he deals in "V."

Can't help that... I saw some of the first season and Lafayette stole the show for me.

I noticed a couple things about the Elmo Musical episode today...

The opening number seemed to be Gilbert and Sullivan-esque. Would have been a nice parental bonus if all the songs were like that...

Elmo asking "Is Eight enough?" SOMEONE has got to get that stealth pun.

Loved the nod to Mack the Knife at the end of the Dancing with the Whale bit... (the "Look out ol' Moby is back" bit)

And is it just me, or does Leslie use the same voice for Velvet as she does:

Now I got Elmo and Velvet singing the real lyrics of that in my head.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
While I'm glad to see a little more B&E Adventures than SG 2.0 (the balance was way off last season), I wish they'd play ones that haven't aired yet. I know there's only, like, 7 of them, but that's just as many as they aired last season (1 more in fact!).

Gee. I need to get out more.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The street story was pretty good. The Word of the Day bit was alright. The new Murray tune-ins were cool. The new ETM was pretty good. I think John Tartagila was the octopus. Could someone correct me on that?

After listening carefully, the octopus sounds like Bill Barretta, but that's unlikely.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Ok so I've seen the Hot Potato episode this morning so here's my view.
Street Story-I liked how it showed a character (particulary Elmo) acting selfishly.
Telly-I've created a monster.
Elmo-Elmo was already a monster.
Telly-I've created a monster monster.
Dominic-(laughing)
Word of the day-Abby was cute as always, but it would have been funnier if when the athelete made the chicken call chickens came running.
Murrary Letter Bit-Repeat but a good one.
Abby's Flying Fairy School-Blogg-I appoligize on behalf of my tushy. Best line in the whole episode.
Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures-Cute but I've already seen it.
and best of all
NEW GROVER SKETCH!!!-Fantastic. That's all to say about it. One of my favorite characters with a classic team up, and Grover trying so hard to please Mr. Johnson. Classic.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I agree that David's Cookie does sound a bit different. Nothing major, but it sounds a little rougher.
I've noticed that too. Actually, I've noticed that with Marty's Telly in yesterday's episode. I guess the Muppeteers are getting older and their voices are getting rougher. Just a theory. Or in David's case, he could still be working on the voice to try to make it more like Frank's. I don't know. It's anyone's guess.

NEW GROVER SKETCH!!!-Fantastic. That's all to say about it. One of my favorite characters with a classic team up, and Grover trying so hard to please Mr. Johnson. Classic.
I liked that one too. Makes one wonder how many more of those we'll have now that Jerry's gone. Plus I'm assuming Frank did Grover there. I know he's usually in charge of the Grover/Mr. Johnson sketches.

Yeah. My question still stands... what about the people who always hated Elmo's World and wanted the 15 minutes to go back to the series? Not like they heard about our cries
I agree with that completely. It would be nice to go back to the old days when there was more room for classic Muppet segments or whatever.

Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures-Cute but I've already seen it.
and best of all
Did they even make any new ones of those for this season? I know they said they had more Super Grover 2.0 segments produced.

Keep in mind, Elmo the Musical is only 11 minutes (verses Elmo's World 15 minutes) so there will be some additional time to work with in each show. Hopefully this time will be used for more Muppet inserts, but if the street story justifies the extra time occasionally that works too.
Still, not much new there. Just some longer street scenes. I really had Forgetful Jones in mind since today's theme was about remembering. I was hoping that he'd show up somewhere either with a new puppeteer or that they'd at least play some early sketches with him. Of course the latter is unlikely since it's been about a decade since they did that. Just a thought I had though.

The Fabulous Fish Jugglers? What the hey? They could have used Wolfgang instead, he was seen a few seasons ago. Though it was a subtle nod towards another performer who uses them as his act. :fishy:
Yeah. I was expecting Wolfgang as well, but I had Lew in mind. I couldn't resist hoping that he'd make a cameo, but I guess they'd need permission from Disney to do that.

cahuenga

Reaction score
Why aren´t all the street stories for this season available on the sesame street web page, last season they showed a preview and a sumary from each episode around the new season premiere! and do anybody know in how many street stories will appear the Jerry Nelsons characters? and Loretta Long? thanks

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Just curious, are they still using the "Cube Spin" transition for segments following other ones?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The episode for Thursday September 27 is...

4304: Baby Bear Comes Clean

Baby Bear spills ice cream on his shirt and then tries to clean it with help from Telly.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4304: Baby Bear Comes Clean.

Word on the Street: Careful.

Street Story.
Baby Bear's waiting for Papa Bear to come back with the family to go to Granny Bear's without him messing up his clean clothes.
Maria and Zoe stop by to ask if he wants to paint pictures in the garden.
Leela and Rosita stop by to ask if he wants to play basketball.
Telly then comes by with an ice cream cone... And even though Baby Bear makes Telly walk so far he crashes into the far-off trashcan... And even though he's extra super special sure he won't get them messed with a taste of blueberry-porridge, this leads to a small stain with the typical kid coverup.

Wipe it with a napkin? Nope.
Dip the napkin in water? Worse.
Now Oscar gets in on the act after hearing the sounds of someone in distress, suggesting beating it against a rock.
:grouchy: Nothing ventured, nothing gained. *LOL.
Vacuum cleaner? To clean a shirt? OEr Rosita, you were with Leela, don't you know she runs a laundromat on the street?
Now Telly's the true genius. Turn the dirty white shirt purple so there's no noticeable stain.
Aw man, Baby Bear, why you gotta make it worse by asking Abby to turn the shirt back to white. It worked?
More comedy as the kids chase after the shirt.
Gordon of course solves everything by telling them to confess to Papa Bear.

Telly: "Just playing one of our wacky standing close together games."
This was the best street story so far of the week due to an ensemble cast performance.

Segments.
1 Muppets/Celebrity: Murray and Casey Aflek demonstrate "careful" by building a block tower.
Murray, after bringing more blocks, causing Casey to knock the tower down: "Casey, you have to be more careful."
2 Narrator talks about different emotions.
3 Murray calls in Dr. Ovejita to examing his clapping arms, clogged nose, and clumsy legs, revealing he's got a case of C.
4 Kids look for caterpillar, clouds, clover, creek, color, catch you later? Bleh.
5 Abby's Flying Fairy School: Pet Day.
Abby brings her frog Prince, Gonnigan has Thor the ant, and Blögg shows off Gertrude the banana slug.
A banana slug? As a pet? Hmm, someone must be a Coraline fan.
So instead of a ruler (or a measuring tape) they use different colored blocks to judge how far the pets jump, won by Prince.
Thor proves he's the strongest by lifting a sandwich.
Mmm, a secondary storyline where the fairies apologize to Niblet for hurting his feelings for leaving him out of Pet Day? *Applauds the writers.
Niblet wins best dancer.
6 Murray and Ovejita present 18 apples.
7 Girl counting eightteen flowers in the garden, yech.
8 Super Grover 2.0: Cactus Ball, repeat.
9 Murray investigates the sounds of the street.
10 Muppets: The Voice.
Clueless judges + a Ryan Seacrest parodical character getting frustrated = good funny sketch.
11 Elmo: The Musical, Athlete: The Musical.
*Waits to hear who groans foul over the repeat so soon first.