1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 3

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, May 14, 2008.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

More like piggys fuzz
  2. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Heh heh. But just think, a lot of fans got upset over the disclaimer on the Old School Sesame Street DVDs. However, on a show that had nearly as many explosions, characters getting eaten, (ahem) innuendo and adult jokes as Looney Tunes, there is no such warning on any of The Muppet Show sets.

:) "Think about this friends."

I don't know who decides to put disclaimers on what and how to categorize films and TV shows, but as far as Jim's work goes, they're either ignorant of the content or just batty.:batty:

I told one friend about one Easter morning I remember. I was 9 and the announcer came on HBO:

"Coming up, two wonderful stories by Jim Henson's Muppets. First up, 'The Tale of the Bunny Picnic.'..." (makes sense, right?) "and after that, the magical film 'The Dark Crystal'. They're coming up on HBO!"

Oh my, yes. A perfect thing for the kiddies to watch on Easter morning. "Here comes Chamberlain Cottontail, hoppin' down the Skeksis trail...hmmmMMMMmmmm...":scary: Good grief!

But back to the sets. I am so, so glad everything's uncut! I did have a question about music rights, though. The Beatles songs used on this and previous sets (Octopus's Garden, etc.) are intact. Did something change for the better between the Beatles' lawyers and Disney's lawyers since "Muppets Magic" was released in 2003? I'd like to see "Come Together" released as an extra feature somewhere if that's the case.

Convincing John
  3. Davina

Davina Member

the audio drops are annoying, but not anywhere near the level you're fearing Convincing John.. hehehe Watched them last week while doing something else, but I seem to recall only a few drops, the worst one happens while Rowlf is chatting, I don't think we miss any real big puppetering secrets..

And I love the Spike Milligan episode.. he was such a hoot!
  4. David French

David French Member

I think people are having some difficulty in distinguishing the difference between caricature and unintentional racial slurs.

Bear in mind that a lot of those Looney Tunes cartoons showed characters with blacked-up faces and speaking in mock asian accents. Placing those cartoons in their context, you realize that such things were common and deemed okay; today we think otherwise.

TMS, however, did proper caricatures by playing up to the conventions that we associate with certain nationalities.
  5. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I dunno. I think there might be some people who would be offended by the fact that the Japenese Muppet characters sing, "Oh, we know we berong to the rand. And the rand we berong to is gland." Or the fact that all of the French in that episode are represented by Muppet frogs. I think you're right in that you can't really consider them racial slurs here, but there are likely those who would be offended by this today. It's pretty much all very playful, though.

Personally, I thought the episode kinda showed how people can come together, despite their differences. Sure, there are stereotypes, but stereotypes of all nations. :attitude: Sam Eagle for stereoptypical, overly-patriotic Americans, Spike Milligan with his unintelligible Cockney accent (and other nationalities). And I just love it that the Scotsmen gets offended when Kermit wants him to play up on what the Scotsmen calls "stereotypical" Scotish music.
  6. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Hehe. I love finding new stuff in Muppet productions. There's one episode, after the band starts playing the end theme, where Kermit says, "You've been a wonderful laugh track!"

:boo: : The Muppets use a laugh track?
    :sleep: : Of course! They couldn't get 'em to laugh any other way!

(... by the way, Statler and Waldorf don't actually say that when it happens :p )
  7. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I don't think the Milligan episode should be accused of anything bad. Still, I'm not going to say all of those jokes were funny or should be repeated nowadays (and no I'm not a PC fan). I'm just going to say it was a different time. It doesn't diminish my affection for the Muppets. :)

Plus, I also agree that the episode helps promote unity. :)
  8. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

I totally get the Spike Milligan episode. Spike was known for his dark humor which again shows how Henson wanted the Muppet Show to be more for adults.

Comedians have always been racy and un-PC. Watch Eddie Murphy's "Raw" - it's not PC but you will laugh your behind off no matter who you are.:attitude:
  9. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I noticed in the "Aquarius" number (from the Danny Keye episode) that the female whatnot had the singing voice of Louise Gold but her movements looked liked Frank Oz performed her.

I wonder if Frank Oz performed the female whatnot while Louise Gold did the singing voice.

The "Aquarius" number is one of my favorite pieces from the 3rd season, Along with many other great songs and sketches from this season. :)
  10. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

That happened alot. Frank (maybe Jim and maybe some of the other Muppeteers) would perform one of Louise's characters during the big numbers while she was still learning. If you look at "Cottleston Pie," that looks alot like Jim's movements.
  11. David French

David French Member

That's because it is Jim performing his own character, Rowlf, on that number.
  12. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

... Rowlf's played by Jim Henson? :)

Seriously, though, I made a mistake. I meant "Carbon Paper". I dunno why I was thinking "Cottleston Pie". Maybe cuz Rowlf sings both on his album. According to Muppet Wiki, it's Frank Oz performing Annie Sue for that number, though.
  13. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I think you mean "Carbon Paper" from the Leo Sayer episode. Yes I know about Frank Oz performing Annie Sue in that number while Louise did the singing. I read about it in Muppet Wiki.
  14. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I remember the episode where they were acting out Robin Hood for some reason airing on a random channel when I was little before Robin Hood: Men In Tights :confused: *lol*
    And here I thought I had never seen the Muppet Show before :p
  15. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

That's awesome. I think they should show that episode EVERY time they show Men In Tights on TV.
  16. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

The two really go together well :excited:
  17. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

I read on the review that there are some "Audio Drops" on the muppets on puppets Special. can anyone explain that to me?
  18. muppet_dk

muppet_dk Active Member

Quite simpel the audio disappear a few places. Theres also a warning about this before the special plays.
  19. Telly

Telly Active Member

:sleep: The Spike Milligan episode was the worst from all three seasons so far. I don't think i laughed once. :boo:
  20. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

I found Spike Milligan to be funny, but had to watch much of it with subtitles. I couldn't understand him!

Leo Sayer, on the other hand: he was one freaky little elf-guy. I didn't know that any guest star could make the Muppets almost unwatchable... boy was I wrong!