Your Thoughts: The Muppets Green Album

What is your favorite song from The Green Album?

• The Muppet Show Theme - OK Go

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Rainbow Connection - Weezer

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Mahna Mahna - The Fray

• Movin' Right Along - Alkaline Trio

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Our World - My Morning Jacket

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Halfway Down The Stairs - Amy Lee

• Mr. Bassman - Sondre Lerche

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Wishing Song - The Airborne Toxic Event

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Night Life - Brandon Saller

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Bein' Green - Andrew Bird

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I Hope That Something Better Comes Along - Matt Nathanson

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • I'm Going to Go Back There Someday - Rachael Yamagata

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters

MuppetLabsBoy

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not such a big fan of the album. I think that Disney's target audience was the younger teen crowd, who are fans of these individual artists/bands, so that they would become familiar w/the Muppets' music.

Reaction score
I don't think the tween audience knows who most of these bands are. That's the thing about making albums like this with indy artists though, some are super popular and some are totally obscure, but the companies don't know the difference.

Also, if they do another one, Amanda Palmer should do a song. She's covered Rainbow Connection live before and it was great. Of course, I'd want her to do something else for an album appearance. Regardless, I think I'll be buying this album next week just to help out on sales :stick_out_tongue:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
So, if you were to build your own Muppets cover album, what would be on it?
If they were to release a sequel to this album, I'd like to see a track listing something like this:

1. Hey A Movie (a great way to start it up)
  2. Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear (classic show bit)
  3. Can You Picture That (a no-brainer Mayhem inclusion)
  4. Six String Orchestra (a popular show bit)
  5. Together Again (has a great melody)
  6. The First Time It Happens (the ballad)
  7. I’m Gonna Always Love You (crowd pleaser)
  8. You Can't Take No For An Answer (the wild card)
  9. Rainbow Connection (another version of this staple Muppet song)
  10. The Magic Store (classic)
  11. Saying Goodbye (another crowd pleaser)
  12. When the River Meets the Sea (a really sweet song)
  13. We Got Us (the perfect way to close)
Rainbow Connection, Bein' Green or The Muppet Show Theme has to be represented as an anchor for the masses so I added an extra track. I liked this selection of music groups, but they could branch out with more of an eclectic blend ranging from pop to indie to R&B.

beaker

Reaction score
I don't think the tween audience knows who most of these bands are. That's the thing about making albums like this with indy artists though, some are super popular and some are totally obscure, but the companies don't know the difference.

Also, if they do another one, Amanda Palmer should do a song. She's covered Rainbow Connection live before and it was great. Of course, I'd want her to do something else for an album appearance. Regardless, I think I'll be buying this album next week just to help out on sales :stick_out_tongue:
She did? Nice! I'll admit, half the artists I have no idea who they are on the cd...many seem, I guess "adult contemporary" or something? There's a zillion and a half nerdy alt rock/college indie hipster bands that would be tripping over themselves at the chance to cover Muppet songs

I guess my issue is I don't feel heart. I don't feel any passion from the cd. My absolute favorite muppet song is "Movin Right Along", and its treated so haphazardly and without soul in my view.

Could you imagine Joanna Newsom, Florence and the Machine or Regina Spectre cover Im Going to go back there someday or Wishing Song? Or Zoey Descenel's She and Him covering Movin Right Along. That's why so many people have turned away from the 90's mall pop punk/tough guy rap rock and other sounds of a decade ago for more eclectic and passionate sorts of music and record companies have noticed that.

beaker

Reaction score
I agree with Can You Picture That and Magic Store...surprised those weren't included.
Can You Picture That is my favorite Muppet song next to Movin Right Along.

Psammeadboi

Reaction score
The album has grown on me over the last week. So much in fact that I spent some time creating my own album art for it. It can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr8gonzo/6085868555/

I have to admit that I really enjoy "Movin' Right Along." I think it really captures the fun and adventure of a cross-country trip! "I"m Going to Go Back There Someday," one of my absolute favorite songs, has really grown on me, too. Rachael Yamagata really captures the hopefulness the song conveys and the production is well handled, soulful and light.

Pork

Reaction score
I was skeptical about this. And I am still skeptical about some of the songs.
I am not a fan of Amy Lee's version of halfway down the stairs, a bit devo about that one.
But I really like going to go back there some day. And Weezer and the Muppets is always a win in my book.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Every time i listen to Mr. Bassman in the car i feel there is an ambulance behind me and i need to pull over. there are a few parts in the song that's sounds like a siren. Love the song though!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
This is the first time I get to comment on the Cd. I Love most of the songs, I think the only song i really have any issues with is Mahna mahan. The song just dones not sound
right to me for some strange reason. however I can see Jimmy Fallon trying to sing that
song on his show.
The ones I love the most are the Muppet Show theme, both the song and the video.
Rainbow Connection I really feel that weezer really did an awesome job on this song. It's such a wonderful song anyways and the way they sounded with Hayley williams was just a wonderful mix.
Movin right along and Night life are also wonderful songs these bands are really rocking and you can tell in both songs that the aritsts are just loving singing these great songs.
the last one i love a whole lot is halfway down the stairs. being a Amy Lee fan doesn;t
hurt but I really think she has a beautiefull voice and sings the song very softly and
soothing.
All in all I really think that if your dowing this cd you really need to give it the chance it
deserves. There is some really great songs on here that in some caese have not seen a cd
relesse in some time, and they are done very well with some real big names.
this is the right dierction for Muppet Music I love it! great job Disney!

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
Of all the songs, my favorite has to be Movin' Right Along - Alkaline Trio (even though I don't know who they are :smile:). It's the only one, I feel, that really keeps to the spirit of the songs. I didn't like Wishing Song - The Airborne Toxic Even, even though I got really excited when I saw it listed as a track. Overall it's OK, but I wish it had been handled a little better. I *really* hope they release a sequel, because they left out a lot of good songs.