Your Thoughts: The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

What did you think of The Muppets' Wizard of Oz?

• Oz was great

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Oz was good

Votes: 92 37.1%
  • Oz was disappointing

Votes: 64 25.8%
  • Oz was awful

Votes: 35 14.1%

• Total voters

MuppetCrazy

Reaction score
Wow....I am amazed that so many people are bashing the movie. Sure, it wasn't the greatest Muppet program that's ever been done, but what were we all expecting? I would imagine that not many of us TRUE Muppet fans had very high expectations for this movie. And lets be honest, since Mr. Henson's passing, how many of the movies actually were stellar. Overall, the movie was amusing and we should all be thankful that someone is willing to put something out there for us Muppet fans.

The movie was fine. It was witty, even hilarious at times. Some of the voices are a little off, but when you don't do anything with the characters for so long, what can we expect? I watched it all with my girlfriend and my two brothers. We all enjoyed ourselves and will be looking forward to anything new Muppets!!!

:smile:

HPDJ

Reaction score
There is a poll on the "Best of" "Worst of" thread for worst Muppet Oz moment. Please vote! :smile:

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
Overall I would give the movie about a B-.

Ashanti's "acting" was horrible! It really was getting on my nerves.

But I loved how the movie was filled with Muppets and how Piggy seemed to be back in her true form, being a real girly pig. I liked her scenes with the Munchkin rats.

I also liked that the Electric Mayhem was in the movie though I really REALLY miss them having bigger parts.

But Pepe was the best!!! I was in stitches practically every time he spoke, especially when he said, "But even better, I'm naked, okay!"

I hope the next Muppet movie is better cast in the human department and that Rowlf especially is in the movie...I miss him! And I want the Electric Mayhem to have a bigger role in the future movies.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
I don't know what to think. If anyone tells me what to think, they will be PM spammed. Instead, here's a random list.
  • Pillows
  • Phone
  • Zebra
  • Regular bra
  • moisture
  • :crazy:
  • fuzz
  • End

beaker

Reaction score
"the horror...the horror"-Dr Bunsen Honeydew toward the end.

This is without a shadow of a doubt the most embarassing, horrific, and grotesque excuse for a Muppet production ever. It was literally like watching a car accident replayed over and over.

Maybe it was the beheadings...seeing Kermit and gonzo dismembered and strewn about...or Johnny and Sal trying to make a snuff film(the plastic sheet, again, extra tacky) that crossed the line. Maybe it was Rizzo saying "I think I feel a b**chslap coming on"....but if this isn't the final nail in the coffin, the spear of Loninus in the side... for our beloved pals I don't know what is. There is no ressurection, there is only this shell of what once. Clearly th emagic is gone folks, as the butterflies and awe I once felt is all but gone.

And was it me or did Jeffrey Tambor look like the grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan when he first appears at the podium? And my goodness, the wizard cgi was just plain bad...tho not as bad as Shanti going through the motions with this one. I really am scratching my head wondering how JHC, if they really are still consulting, let this one pass.

The spoof of the post 9/11 Threat Level advisory warning, opiate reference, Girls gone Wild, online music pirating reference, and the closing where we get to see the Muppets as themselves was ok(as well as the brief Quentin Tarantino thing) but my god. This makes Kermit Swamp Years and all those bad early 90's Bean Bunny straight to video specials look like Lord of the Rings. One thing I must commend the performers on: No more having to wonder 'hey, who the heck is performing Fozzie/Piggy/etc". The voices for the fill in roles like Scooter and Sam Eagle were spot on, more spot on than theyd ever been...and there is no denying Eric Jacobson *IS* Frank Oz now.

Maybe I fell asleep right before the telefilm started, and hallucinated seeing a really beyond bad production...and everyone else saw something else. As all I know, I just witnessed one of the worst post Jim Henson attrocities ever.

I hope no non Muppet fan tuned in...as seeing this 2 hour holocaust is enoug h to convince anyone the Muppets are long dead. I'd have to say this was far harder to sit through than even Cinderelmo...and a sheer embarassment to the JH and Muppet legacy. I highly respect Kirk Thatcher and the Muppet performers...but this just was not cool. And Eisner, in that superstiticial with the Muppets halfway through the film...with his beedy little eyes, laughing at us, the audience...for wasting our Friday night watching this.

I'm not saying under JHC this would have been any better(odd seeing JHC's logo at the end) but the proper thign would have been to have never made this stinker to begin with. As far as Im concerned, this is the Abu Ghirabe prison photos of the Muppet legacy.

dan

Reaction score
Theres 2 hours I'll never get back

This movie was just frankly not very good. The script was really weak, the songs were mediocre at best, Ashanti was terrible and obviously not into it, and we didn't get to see and spend time with a bunch of the Muppets we love.

The sets weren't good either. Everything seemed so dark. The CG stuff was totally unneccesary and from a story standpoint I'd love for anyone to tell me what the Poppy Club thing had to do with anything. Very disappointing. REALLY talented people worked on this movie, but man, if you don't have a good script, you're dead.

I REALLY want the Muppets to play themselves!!! They are far more interesting as they are than they could ever be as someone else.

I loved the Muppet Xmas Movie (besides Whoopi and the other humans.)

Let's get back to what works: KERMIT is the main character and the others are his supporting cast. Humans take the backseat to the Muppets.

I hope they don't make "Muppets in Wonderland" like I heard they might if this movie was well received. It would be exactly like this. Not good.

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
Some more comments:
-Am I the only person here who wasn't fazed by the decapitation scene? I guess since I knew they'd be alright in the end it didn't get to me.... okay, it weirded me out a bit.
-So much slashy subtext!
-I will be quoting Pepe for a while now.
-I hated/was bored by almost every song.
-I just might have to be west!Piggy next Halloween. That is the coolest outfit I've ever seen her in.
-Crazy Harry is cute.
-Did Miss Piggy promise to give her dog one of Ashanti's bones, or did I hear wrong? If I heard right, to me, that's the most disturbing part.
-Wah! Want more Electric Mayhem!
-I did not even notice Rowlf was missing for the most part. Somebody whack me with a blunt object.

MWoO

Reaction score
First off Rizzo said WITCH slapped. It was a pun. I don't know why you thought it was ***** slapped. It was a funny joke in a PG movie.

Seeing Kermit and Gonzo torn apart was a little disturbing put it is part of the story. I give them credit for actually doing it instead of wussing out. Besides, it's an evil wicked witch. What would you have her do?

Again, this is a wicked witch and her evil crew. Obviously they have to take joy in their evil. So Jonny using the tarp makes sense and it is actually within his character. She's a wicked witch and they are evil henchmen. They have to do evil things.

Now, if you thought this movie had disturbing stuff you should watch the other movies. In GMC Kermit has a gun held to his head! And he was a living breathing frog in that movie, not a scarecrow that can be taken apart or a robot. In the Muppets Take Manhattan Kermit was hit by a car. In the Muppet Movie he was hunted by a murdeous gun for hire. Talk about crossing a line...

Tambour did not look like a KKK member when he stepped up to the podium. He looked like a guy with a green wizard hat on. Just because the KKK decided to go with the wizardl ook doesn;'t mean wizards can't use the wizard look. I find you compariosn offensive and you have to be a pretty twisted person to think that.

How would you have done the wizard scene? Would you have them build a giant dragon puppet for a low budget TV special? Would you have them make a head of fire? Honestly, how else would you have them do it? They used CGI because it was avaiable and it worked. Also, it fits with the whole fake wizard thing. The wizard is basically using special effects so the CGI worked wit that.

I think a lot of complaints here are just al ittle too harsh and not valid. Ashanti was a bad actress, but the actual events wre not as bad as many have made them out to be.

MWoO

Reaction score
dan said:
This movie was just frankly not very good. The script was really weak, the songs were mediocre at best, Ashanti was terrible and obviously not into it, and we didn't get to see and spend time with a bunch of the Muppets we love.

The sets weren't good either. Everything seemed so dark. The CG stuff was totally unneccesary and from a story standpoint I'd love for anyone to tell me what the Poppy Club thing had to do with anything. Very disappointing. REALLY talented people worked on this movie, but man, if you don't have a good script, you're dead.

I REALLY want the Muppets to play themselves!!! They are far more interesting as they are than they could ever be as someone else.

I loved the Muppet Xmas Movie (besides Whoopi and the other humans.)

Let's get back to what works: KERMIT is the main character and the others are his supporting cast. Humans take the backseat to the Muppets.

I hope they don't make "Muppets in Wonderland" like I heard they might if this movie was well received. It would be exactly like this. Not good.

Again, how would you have done the Wizard scene with a tv special budget?

The poppy club was their version of the poppy fields from the book and the movie. Do you know nothing about the story? It's there to stop them from reaching the emerald city. It's like a test to make sure they don't make it. They made it a club to make it more modern and to give the EM a chance to get some screen time.